Hoochies

As far as a stinger on an anchovy rig goes, I think technically the stinger is supposed to be embedded into the tail of the bait. The regs say you may use more than one hook to secure the bait. The only way Ive ever seen a stinger rigged does nothing to secure the bait.

Thanks for the first-hand accounts guys. Seems that at least 2 conservation officers agree with your interpretation of the rules, with no evidence thus far to the contrary. I wonder what they would have to say about stinger hooks. Nevertheless, Ive put a call into my local DFO office inquiring about these regs, so hopefully theyll get back to me once the holidays are over with a definitive answer. Ill post an update if/when they return my call.

Thanks for the first-hand accounts guys. Seems that at least 2 conservation officers agree with your interpretation of the rules, with no evidence thus far to the contrary. I wonder what they would have to say about stinger hooks. Nevertheless, Ive put a call into my local DFO office inquiring about these regs, so hopefully theyll get back to me once the holidays are over with a definitive answer. Ill post an update if/when they return my call.
Reading the reg, (as you pointed out) I could see a C/O taking that interpretation. The only way I think you might have a problem with a C/O is if you rigged your hoochie with a "hang back" hook trailing 4-6" behind the end of the hoochie. That type of rigging with the long hang back is becoming popular in the states. I could see a C/O having a dim view of that type of rigging. He might think it was designed solely for snagging. As well, he might say it was designed to catch more than one fish if you rigged the trailer that far back. I've seen pics on American forums where they're really putting the rear hook way back there. I could see them taking issue with rigs like that here. In some of the States you can run multiple hook rigs (droppers, etc). If they came up here and used the same rigs they might get busted.

Last edited:
Anyone used a pattern similar to this 7cm blue squirt:
HTB1bC0OQpXXXXadXpXXq6xXFXXXu.jpg

32801693540.html

I really like the blue shades, and Im thinking this would be a gooder by itself or inside the transparent purple haze hoochies.

No comments, I guess because I don't think it's sold here. I figured I'd take a flyer on it, because it was on sale for cheap and I think it will produce. $8.55 US for a hundred lot shipped free. I plan on trying it for springs, coho, and chum.

I have a few of those same things. Never used, but just today cleaning and organizing the tackle boxes I came across them. No blues but the pink and chartreuse. Any luck with 'em? And, what size hook did you run them with?

I have a few of those same things. Never used, but just today cleaning and organizing the tackle boxes I came across them. No blues but the pink and chartreuse. Any luck with 'em? And, what size hook did you run them with?

Thanks for the response, but I haven't received them yet. I only ordered the blue shade as I have plenty of pink and chartreuse minis.

I would think the pink colour would work best on a 40lb test leader of 24-32 inches with a 4/0 red gamagatsu hook. I'm sure the pink glow would work well for Sockeye, pinks, and chum. I have never used chartreuse with a glow head, but I've caught lots of springs on non glow chartreuse minis in the past. Just use a longer leader for springs.

Last edited:
I've used the tandem setups on winter springs but they can be a pain in the butt to release small fish quickly. I use singles now and haven't noticed less hookups.
Exactly the same with me Kildonan. I always use a single. The tandems are just way too hard to release fish with, and they also tangle in the net badly. I think you may catch slightly fewer fish on the single rig, but I think a big single stays buried better. I also think the big single results in way less chewed off leaders.

Got a call back from my local DFO office this morning in regards to tandem hooks on hoochies. The guy on the phone told me that tandems hooks were legal to use for trolling for salmon, but not for jigging. I explained my reasoning for my interpretation of the rules, and he told me that he got his info from a DFO booklet, not online. When I directed him to the regulations online he seemed to be a little puzzled, but nonetheless assured me that theyre legal as far as he can tell. I also inquired about stinger hooks when rolling anchovies, which I had to explain to him because he wasnt familiar with the terminology. He told me that 2 tandem single hooks are legal for fishing bait and he wasnt sure about a treble and a stinger, so he would look into it and call me back. At this point I havent heard back yet but I think their office closes at noon, so he probably went home for the day before he could get an answer for me. My guess is he will tell me that theyre also legal, but who knows. A literal interpretation of the rules as they are written lead me to believe that tandem hooks would be illegal to troll on a hoochie, and it seems I was wrong on that so maybe there are also unwritten rules about stingers behind trebles. If I hear back from him again Ill be sure to fill you guys in on whats what. I hope nobody jumped the gun and lopped off the trailing hook of their tandem rigs!

Why would it make any difference whether you are trolling or jigging? (Bait).

Makes absolutely no sense.

Oh wait, you were speaking with a DFO employee.

Last edited:
Presumably he checked with someone at the main office or a superior somewhere and was just relaying the message to me. Im not sure why he mentioned jigging but he seemed to want to make it clear that its ok for trolling but not jigging. I dont know anybody that jigs hoochies with tandem hooks for salmon anyways, so the point is moot. The guy on the phone seemed nice enough and he went out of his way to follow up on my call over the weekend so I dont fault him for it, if anything blame the clusterfuck that is the DFO website and its shoddily-written regs. Bit of a "dont shoot the messenger" situation.

The bottom line is that 2 people have posted anecdotal evidence that suggests tandem hooks trolled with a hoochie is A-OK, and the guy I spoke with at the Duncan office echoed those sentiments. I disagree with it based on my literal interpretation of whats written, but my literal interpretation is worth sweet **** all so fish away my tandem-hook-having friends!

I actually do jig hoochies with tandem rigs. The only time I rig a hoochie with tandem hooks is using 8-10 inch Hali hoochies. Those size hoochies are to large to use only one hook IMO. I have both hooks buried inside bait in my Hali hoochies, so I guess that would make that rig legal no matter what some doof at the DFO claims.

He was referring explicitly to jigging for salmon TBG, so no worries there!

He was referring explicitly to jigging for salmon TBG, so no worries there!
I've seen some guys using tandem hooks under a hoochy to snag salmon off piers and river mouth where fish stack and they keep ripping until they catch their limits. Not rare to see around Vancouver especially during the pink run.

Got a call back from my local DFO office this morning in regards to tandem hooks on hoochies. The guy on the phone told me that tandems hooks were legal to use for trolling for salmon, but not for jigging. I explained my reasoning for my interpretation of the rules, and he told me that he got his info from a DFO booklet, not online. When I directed him to the regulations online he seemed to be a little puzzled, but nonetheless assured me that theyre legal as far as he can tell. I also inquired about stinger hooks when rolling anchovies, which I had to explain to him because he wasnt familiar with the terminology. He told me that 2 tandem single hooks are legal for fishing bait and he wasnt sure about a treble and a stinger, so he would look into it and call me back. At this point I havent heard back yet but I think their office closes at noon, so he probably went home for the day before he could get an answer for me. My guess is he will tell me that theyre also legal, but who knows. A literal interpretation of the rules as they are written lead me to believe that tandem hooks would be illegal to troll on a hoochie, and it seems I was wrong on that so maybe there are also unwritten rules about stingers behind trebles. If I hear back from him again Ill be sure to fill you guys in on whats what. I hope nobody jumped the gun and lopped off the trailing hook of their tandem rigs!

You are right in your interpretation of the rules as the are written however it does not seem to be the case.

DFO biologist are now in charge of writing the fishing regulations and specing the catch limits. Since it got turned over from the officers (enforcement) to the biologists it's caused as sorts of issue like these.

I switched to a treble stinger on my anchovy rig and the amount of bites that stick have gone way up.

Tandem hooks are fine on a single lure or bait. End of story. It doesn't have to be attached to the bait. It has to be designed to hook the fish on the strike and one fish only.

Back