Honda 8 hrs stalling

Captain Dudds

I recently got a 99 honda 8 hp and mounted it. it ran fine in the driveway and on a testrun a while ago but a few weeks ago it had trouble then stalled - we couldn't get it going for the life of us. Later that evening i thought i'd give it a pull and she goes first pull! but after 5 minutes she sputters then dies again and won't start.

What could be causing something like this. The motor only has 25 hours on it and is in mint condition. Could it be water in the gasline? I've got two tanks running to a filter then both motors running off that filter. my main power has been running fine. Also, this was the first trip out havnig the kicker on the fuel filter setup. is it possible there was water in the hose from the filter to the kicker when i attached it? i don't want to take it to a shop and i feel like this should be a reasonably easy fix. any ideas?

thanks

gummed up carbs? its been sitting around for a long time by the sounds of it... try "tune up in a can"

Is your gas coming from a portable tank? If so check the vent screw on the cap, many a person has been fooled by this. Tight lines,.......BB

Dudds, possibly one of 2 things. float needs adjusting or your fuel fitting on your line that connects to the engine is sucking air. Honda is known to have weak fittings and they start to suck air after running for a few hours. try squeezing the ball and start your engine again.

Bruce

There is a problem with cracked exhaust pipes that feed fumes back into the motor and starve it for O2.
Take the cowling off , and try running it.
If it runs like fine, you need to check that exhaust pipe.

Hey dudds , I have the same motor on my dinghy. Try draining the carb to see if you have any crap in there. If you get any water or sediment you will probably need a carb rebuild.

thanks for the ideas. I don't think I'll be able to get around to it until sept now but will start working through the list provided here. This forum is great for things like this!

Back