Hitch extension

Wild Bill

Searched and didn't find anything. Truck with a camper pulling a boat, most truck boxes about 6 1/2', smallish camper say 8 1/2'. Do you guys just run a pipe extension behind the camper? Im thinking truck camper and either boat.

I bought a 14” extension from princess auto. Something to keep in mind is that it does lower your towing capacity. and you’ll need longer safety chains.

I haven’t tried mine yet but my camper goes to the back of my tail gate when it’s down so I’m hoping 14” is long enough.

I’m planning on welding a bar or chain hooks to the extension so that I can laterally tie it in to the camper tie downs to try to reduce side to side sway

Yes, an actual hitch extension will lower your towing capacity up to 50%. However there are extra long ball mounts that do not lower the towing capacity, such as this 16" model at Amazon.ca. Not sure where you are located, but call Burnaby Hitch and they can point you in the right direction.

71OmMXABv2L._SX466_.jpg

You could always look at extending the tongue on you boat trailer as well. Get some square stock, heavier wall than what is there now. Get a piece long enough to go all the way inside to the end plus what you want to extend. Then put yours or a new hitch on the new square stock. As long as your boat isn’t maxed on the trailer already should be fine.

Oly

You could always look at extending the tongue on you boat trailer as well. Get some square stock, heavier wall than what is there now. Get a piece long enough to go all the way inside to the end plus what you want to extend. Then put yours or a new hitch on the new square stock. As long as your boat isn’t maxed on the trailer already should be fine.

Oly
Hey Oly,

If my boat was in fact almost at the trailers carrying capacity, how would the increased length of the square stock affect capacity?

Hey Oly,

If my boat was in fact almost at the trailers carrying capacity, how would the increased length of the square stock affect capacity?
Might have to move axle around to reduce tongue weight however I don't mind a fair bit of tongue weight.

Try torklift.com, they sell a receiver designed specifically for towing with extended hitches behind truck and camper units. Kinda pricey but if you or someone you know is handy, fabricate your own. At the very least you'll know what is recommended for your application. They sell one unit rated for 3,000 pound tongue weight and 30,000 pound trailer. Serious stuff. R.R.

Hey Oly,

I would think that if your trailer is close to max carrying capacity, that’s your biggest problem. Extending the tongue length shouldn’t affect your trailer capacity at all. If you have enough tongue weight as the trailer sits now, extending your tongue shouldn’t affect the tongue weight very much. It will lighten the tongue weight a little, but the extra material added to extend the tongue extension will add weight needed to keep your tongue balanced.

Oly

I sold my 9' 4" camper and bought a travel trailer. So I no longer need the 18" extension I purchased so I could hook up my boat to the truck when the camper was on. I live in Courtenay--- where are you located ? $15 would make it yours. PM me if interested.

I sold my 9' 4" camper and bought a travel trailer. So I no longer need the 18" extension I purchased so I could hook up my boat to the truck when the camper was on. I live in Courtenay--- where are you located ? $15 would make it yours. PM me if interested.

You ever sell the extenion?

Back