Herring Teaser Head Question

BigBoat

Crew Member
I just picked up the larger size herring head and noticed it looks like the line will thread different to the anchovy heads. There is the usual hole at the back where the toothpick goes, but there is a hole on the top front and another in the middle front. Are these designed to use one or the other?

The anchovy heads have a slot on the side. The herring heads only have the holes for the red pins.

I did notice that you could go into the toothpick hole, along the outside of the teaser, back in through the top hole and finally out the front middle hole. Lots of good videos on the anchovy heads, but none showing how to thread the larger herring head.

Is it a Rhys Davis herring special, or a bullet roll? only the super strip uses the front middle hole.

It would be a RD herring. The different hole options for the line simply present options for different action. The front middle hole is usually reserved for faster speeds more conducive for coho. Easier to get a wide loopy roll with the top hole at chinook speeds.

The same principle is true of course for the RD strip teasers.

Is it a Rhys Davis herring special, or a bullet roll? only the super strip uses the front middle hole.
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is a Rhys Davis original. So, from what I am reading I only need to go from the toothpick hole in the back through either the top hole for springs or front hole for coho. Hopefully I can post pictures of the results.

that's a herring strip holder not the whole herring holder, at least it looks like it as the end appears to be squared off, could be the angle.

1501120538478-414721792.jpg 1501120626638-1259688329.jpg out of curiosity i dig out some of my rd herring holders and some of the whole herring holders are squared off a bit but my older good ones arent squared off.

Attachments

• 1501120737598291067149.jpg
    1501120737598291067149.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 55
that's a herring strip holder not the whole herring holder, at least it looks like it as the end appears to be squared off, could be the angle.
Hear is another picture from the side. It says super herring on the side.

teaser head 2.jpg

ok that looks like the same as the one I posted and will take whole herring. your other angle made it look like a head for strip. If I were you I would drill another small hole at the top front ( like you see on my pic where mine is threaded thru) then try it both ways, they will give you different rolls. when I was chartering thru sewell's years ago we had tom davis come over and give us a bit of a demonstration seminar on fishing the different holders, he showed us different ways to doctor the rolls by drilling different holes and heating the head to put more bend in it etc. , those were the days when herring was still king of baits lol, now the anchovies have taken over. this year I have a ton of herring from the orphans fund sale and will be using it a lot more this summer and fall in the lower mainland fisheries. especially off the fraser and cap

Super herring strip teaser, take a large herring fillet the side out. Size it up to the teaser... Trim to fit. Should be a long fillet ending in a point. If your good you will get 4 per extra large herring. I personally if fishing herring will only do it this way. When you throw it in the water watch the oil slick from the bait there are some vids on YouTube to help you out

this year I have a ton of herring ... and will be using it a lot more this summer and fall in the lower mainland fisheries. especially off the fraser and cap
Remember when we used to fish Herring in a Red teaser head near the end of the season?

Super herring strip teaser, take a large herring fillet the side out. Size it up to the teaser... Trim to fit. Should be a long fillet ending in a point. If your good you will get 4 per extra large herring. I personally if fishing herring will only do it this way. When you throw it in the water watch the oil slick from the bait there are some vids on YouTube to help you out
Found this image onlne. What do you think? Can I squeeze a whole herring in this?

baitrix-full-sized-soft-plastic-imitation-herring-lure-in-clear-rhys-bkfahy.jpg

my older ones were called super minnow teaser but I always fished them with whole herring, a 6 or 7" whole herring head fits easily into the plastic head, those things have so many tooth marks on them and are so beat up but still work really well.

the super teaser head will fit a whole herring , maybe not a 10 or 12" herring, I have used it successfully many times. at the very end of this utube clip you can see the whole herring in that particular super teaser head.

Back