Help with Squealing Noise from Honda 130

Whole in the Water

Got a 1999 Honda 130 that has become increasingly harder to shift gears over time. Have replaced and lubed the cables several times and that is not the issue. Have been told that there can be a corrosion issue with these motors where the cable/linkages go into the motor. To replace/fix this you need to remove the head. I have not done this yet as this will be quite labor intensive and expensive.

My current problem is when I first start up the motor sometimes, I get a loud squealing/screeching noise. If I shut down, then re-start the engine and move the engine in and out of gear it goes away after a few tries. After the engine has warmed up is goes away and no more noise, engine runs great. The problem seems to be getting worse.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Not sure where the squealing comes from but Honda had some problems with
flywheel magnets delaminating and causing a squeal at the top end of the motor.

Does the transmission slip a bit when you go in and out of gear when it's cold also? Maybe need to adjust the shifting cable?

Probably something in the transmission gears. When you bump it in and out of gear you change the lash on the bevel gears and that's likely what changes the noise.

The sifting seems ok, except that it is stiff/hard to shift and it doesn't go into gear properly the first time. This I think is due to the internal linkage corrosion issue mentioned previously. The stiff shifting doesn't go away after the engine is warm, just the squealing sound does - weird.

Buddy had the same problem and replaced shifter cables but it didn't fix the problem of hard shifting. Don't know about the noise you have but my buddy got a new motor not long after as it grenaded.

Could be the shift dog clutch
This is what I was thinking also.... there is usually a cone clutch for forward and reverse gears in most outdrives or legs I believe. If the (cone) clutch isn't engaging enough or slipping I would think it might produce the symptoms Whole in the Water is describing...A new shift cable, cable adjustment, or checking out the shift linkage for corrosion or worn bushings, etc might help.
The flywheel magnets mentioned by others also sounds like it's probably something to be looked at also...

If your shifting is stiff and getting worse you have little choice but to free up the sticking linkage. If the problem is at the upper end as you suspect due to corrosion then pulling the powerhead to get at will have to be done. Pulling the powerhead off and reinstalling after freeing up the linkage shouldn't take much more than 4 hrs labour. The only part involved unless you find more issues that should be fixed while it is apart is a base gasket.

I had a simalar squeele on my engine and it ended was the drive shaft. Pulled the leg and lubricated the shaft well and it went away....easy fix to try...

X2 what sudsy said. Just changed the impeller on my Yamaha T-8. Put it all back together and was making a stealing noise. On yamahas there is a bushing about two inches below where the drive shaft enters the power head. Pulled it all apart and lubed the bushing with one of my wife's artist paintbrushes. Also greased the shaft a bit better. Noise is now gone, and have put many hours on the kicker with no return of noise.

Back