Help with a modified boat

Sitkaspruce

An other member of the Fire Department is asking for my help in getting a boat.

We went and looked at one today. It is a 19.6 Surfer runabout that has been modified with an aluminum pod. It is way under powered with a 2006 Honda 90, w/200 hours, but the guy says it will do 25-30 mph. He has rebuilt the boat with Hemlock Stringers encapsulated in fiberglass, a 3/4" plywood floor covered in fiberglass, a new transom w/3 sheets of 3/4" plywood, painted and the pod is attached with 10 SS bolts through this transom.

Over all the boat is solid, but I do not no much about pods and I am looking for some insite into what to look for and any opinions on the boat as a whole. The pod seems solid to the hull, although there is a tiny bit of movement, as you can see from the cracked silicone.

here is some picts

P3100027.jpg

P3100028.jpg

P3100029.jpg

P3100030.jpg

P3100031.jpg

P3100032.jpg

P3100033.jpg

P3100035.jpg

We are going to take it for a sea trial on Sunday and when we mentioned that there would be 3 of us, plus the owner, he stated that the boat will take a lot to get up on plane...[:0][:p]

He is asking $8000.

Thanks

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Oh yea and I should have mentioned the boat was supposedly built in Alert Bay, the 19.6' is the hull length, it has a 50 gallon SS fuel tank located just forward of center and the boat originally had a I/O engine.

A couple more ???

Does the pod affect the ride of this boat, now that the center of gravity is off for the original design?

Should the Pod follow the bottom contour of the hull, or is it OK to be above the hull?

any help would be appreciated

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

The transom looks water logged to me. Looking at the mounting bolts they appear to be dished which means the transom is soft. You mentioned that the boat is a little sluggish that could be a sign of a soggy boat. These are things you want to check.

IMG_1445.jpg

Is it something that you would be proud to own. Does not look so good for 8000.00.Look around to compare.

quote:Originally posted by WillyD

Is it something that you would be proud to own. Does not look so good for 8000.00.Look around to compare.

I tend to agree with Gunsmith and WillyD.

I noticed the bolts that hold it on - I would say they are not positioned well for supporting the motor. And, if the transom is soft as Gunsmith speculates, even worse.

I'm pretty sure that you could get a lot more boat for $8K in this buyers market.

There is a real nice 21.5' Campion Hardtop for sale on Craigslist that was posted here and on Killfish recently for $5K with a trailer. I would buy that one in a heartbeat over this one based on what I see in the photos.

Also, when shopping for a boat, get it surveyed. It may seem like a lot of money, but I had a survey done several years back that saved me from making a very big and expensive mistake.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by holmes

no trailer with that campion on craigs sushi...$8k?..keep looking....holmes*

No trailer? I stand corrected.

Do you have a link to the Campion - I can't seem to find it.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Never mind - found it!

There has been some speculation on how good a deal this is, but I think it is worth checking out.

Questions:

- How many hours on engine and leg?
- Has either been rebuilt? When and by who?
- Seatrial possible?

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/boa/1053388804.html

1991 capmion hardtop 21.5 foot
inboard merc leg.heated cabin , cook top, ice box, forward sleeping area and convertible sitting/sleeping area
runs great , boat in excellent condition in and out. no trailer.
motivated seller.

3m33o53l3ZZZZZZZZZ92r0356dd9e486910ab.jpg

3k83mc3oaZZZZZZZZZ92rd7f2e6c5c6ac13bd.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

keep looking that campion looks like a deal. you could pick up a new trailer for the additional money, then you are ahead just my 2 cents

Ask jimbob about ALL the boats he looked at!!!!

I would be a bit concered as to why they put 5 bolts in a span of say 14 inches??? on my pod they put about 18 bolts into it but they were spaced about every 5 to 6 " the pod looks ok but why silacone your supposed to use sica as it is waterproof under water.just above the trim tabs there shoulb be a place for about 3 to 4 bolts just not one thats why it is cracking there just to much torque and one little bolt to take the pressure.

With the market being what it is low ball it especially with no trailer.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Tell him about BOSTON WHALERS...

Take only what you need.

8 GRAND for THAT!!! Run away! Like others have been saying, look around. There are dozens of boats (probably hundreds) out there that would be WAY better than that. He's trying to recover the money for the motor and pod. The work he did to the boat is anybody's guess. Hemlock for stringers??

I wouldn't touch that one either, the motor's worth about 4-5K
depending on the hours/year.
The hull, forget it.
JMHO

p.s brand new Suzuki 90hp - $7750 Sooke marine

Look at the workmanship,thats what you can see,what about what you can't?Its filthy,any maintenance?Somethings up with those bolts.I spent some time with a buddy a couple of years ago looking for a used boat for him,those pictures were pretty common of what we saw.Theres way better out there,we found one,just keep looking.8 grand is waaaaayyyy too much.Dan

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I would keep looking
If you can make it happen, up your budget slightly and chase a 20'striper/grady/wellcraft from the states....
Even with the exchange...lot's of good product down there right now...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

Yes, California did not have a Salmon season last year, and will not have one this year. Add to that the economic situation... There are lots of boats for sale down there. Look in the San Francisco Bay area for a start. It's a buyers market, and you are a buyer. Drive hard deals and pocket your savings.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Thanks Guys....it was my feeling as well on this boat, but there are better experts than me on here.

The boat is not for me......it for a friend.

I am trying to talk him into spending a little bit more and getting a whole lot more, time will tell.

Other than Autotrader and Craigslist, where else do you recommend that he look for good used boats in BC. Not sure if he want to go down south.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

3k23m53l4ZZZZZZZZZ93b4bde7e51aa82170d.jpg

This is from Craigslist Seattle, Bayliner Trophy, asking 6500.00 obo In great shape and comes with the trailer and extra motor!

This is just the first one I clicked on in his price range. It is well worth it for him to pay me or someone else to go get a boat down there for him if he doesn't want to do it.

Or better yet..

3n63m53paZZZZZZZZZ9375a59ee0cfe4b1c0e.jpg

Boston Whaler 17' Montauk $7500.
Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Other than Autotrader and Craigslist, where else do you recommend that he look for good used boats in BC. Not sure if he want to go down south.

Boattrader.com
SeaStriper.com -- for used Stripers
Yachtworld.com - sounds expensive but you can find good deals
VelaYachtSales.com - Oak Bay Marina

I'd also walk the docks at your local marinas as there are often for sale signs. Plus, it gives you a good idea of different designs out there that you may not have seen before.

I'll also chime in on bringing a boat in from the US. It's very easy and will likely get your buddy into more boat for the money. Also second the recommendation on getting a survey.

Back