Have you ever been scared?

Scott K

Situation: You're coming home and a storm shows up fast. The waves and wind are fast and furious all of a sudden and you're in the middle of it now trying to push home. I'm sure everyone in here has a scare story or two (or three or four?) that they might want to share that'll keep us honest. I'm curious how this scare or scares changed you and what you do different now (or what you added, or bought, or changed, etc.) to make sure it doesn't happen again or the chances of it affecting you as it did are minimized should you encounter similar situation.

Cape Mudge Campbell River. It was a great day of prawning when the wind sock came up in the south east direction in Herriot Bay. There was a storm the night before so a ton of logs had been swept back into the ocean. I quickly picked up my traps and headed to the south end of Quadra island. The swell started to pick up and in the swell were nice logs waiting for me. Lets just say I scared the crap out of my wife by going through that area on a south east wind and tide change. The prop came out of the water a couple of times and I thought I had taken out my prop with a couple of logs too.

The Tyee got me home that day. That is the worst experience I have had so far. I now watch the weather carefully before going out or heading back from a destination!

i bought a mickey sized bottle of cutty sark. its the only bottle of scotch that fits right in the cup holder, it won't fall over and be out of reach

Was fishing in Baines Sound on 16ft KC was new at that time with downriggers, and had two at the time. Had the ball just in the water about a foot and what ever the issues was I had to lean over and put my hands down in the water to grab the ball. Hands were just in the water for like 5 sec and it was right at that time a Pacific Dolphin appeared to take a swoop close to me. Well I jumped back and had a stroke, it was a unique experience. So with two electric now on my boat and 48" clip lines, it’s not to often I lean over into the water LOL.

Springtime,

I started posting on this sites BB in 1999 when it was a different format and heavily unregulated. For about a year and a half I was pretty consistent on here posting at least once a day usually. Some of my best fishing buddies, including the best man at my wedding in 2008, I met off of here believe it or not back then. Then other fishing sites really took off (aka fishbc until about 2007) and you hardly saw me back here after that as this site changed as well to a different format. I've been around long enough and been on quite a few of the discussion boards but I can say that each fishing bc related site has it's own flavour. I find this board seems to be frequented quite heavily by salt water fanatics with a strong Vancouver Island salt water presence. There are lots of interior lake gurus on flybc, etc. etc.

Scott

Well for my self out with a guide budy whos on here we went to swiftsure bank..fishing was good for salmon felt a FLAT calm then all of a sudden a smal wisp from the SE hhhhhmmmm thats different 30 mins later torental downpour and winds from the SE with a flood tide fun times took us couple of hours to get back close to shore which usually takes 30 mins have to admit i was white knuckled but knew I was ok with the skipper behind the whell. i was his wing man spotting for him as the rain was coming down so fast . and a famous quote by him ... I yell at him go hard right go hard right (as there was this huge gooo nest of kelp) he says "WHY" !!!!!!!!!!
then chuckling he fisnishes by saying I guess i should just turn and not ask hey LOL LOL lightned the mood for sure.

I still dont like going back to that bank as ill never forget that day....

Wolf

Fishing with my Dad off Ambleside about 30 years ago. Fog rolled in and we were without a compass, never forget the sound of the props turning on the freighters. Doubt we would have shown up on thier radar. Live and learn.

Fishing with my dad.
LOL.
The regulars know the stories......
This year we're fishing for sockeye at Mactush, I'm busy at the back up and down on the riggers flipping them into the boat.
The old sockeye fire drill.
We're right in the bay....I look up we're about 75 feet from the big wall at the fish cleaning station, heading straight for it, the old boy is sound asleep at the wheel.
Wake up I yell, he comes too, sees this big black, wall craps himself and starts cranking on the wheel......
Dan.

A few years back I was out at Kitty in Jencourt(19ft bayliner cuddy) for an evening troll after work. Forecast was questionable by environment Canada, but conditions were flat and clear,and they had been wrong all week.

We were trolling from south end of hump looking north. I had a newbi facing the rods as I steered and played with my gps. I finally looked back to see the dark blue line coming from the south. I told him we should pull pin as that looks ugly.No sooner got rods in and it hit HARD!!! All boats scattered to shore but I had to get back to Comox launch. It got about as big as I would ever want to have to be in by the time we made the first east cardinal.

It was bad enough that wen coastguard boat came along and told me to stop I said no way I am keeping the nose forward thank you. Locals may remember the night as this is wen the 14 foot aluminum flipped with 2 guys and a women. All mad it to shore I found out later. Coastguard wanted to know if we had seen them.

So it was a long ugly ride in. I decided to go well beyond the second cardinal so I could get it mostly behind me on the way in and cover more water to look for the missing boat. I no sooner got the range lights in view and noticed the HMCS Calgary (134 meter long patrol frigate) steaming by me (on my port) at a fast pace. She then carved hard to starboard and came up the other side of me. Left us with what looked like a fricken 10 foot wake coming at us from both sides. I remember looking up at the wake coming at us only to meet the one from the other side that was being pushed by 4foot (seemed like 6 foot seas). We rode the washing machine ,all I could do is try to keep boat steered north south to what ever wave I thought was worse. We made it of course. But yes a I was SCARED for a bit on that one.

A cool side note to this is that every time I go visit the beach at grief point were we sprinkled my moms ashes I am met with a herrin sitting on the big rock we stood on.I always liked to think that it is her saying hi.
On this night I was met by one perched right at the end of the dock at the launch. I just smiled looked at my buddy and said "That's just my mom making sure we made it safe"

Cheers: Ray

couple of years ago, fished past time and wind got ugly. Beating back from past Thrasher, waves picked up - irregular troughs, large waves. Due to periodic water/fuel (ethanol) problems, compounded by tank vent poorly located) problems at the time I was concerned that the motor might quit. I fired up kicker, idling, ready to go, just in time for wave to clear radar and (mostly) stern. At that time motor faltered, so immediately went to kicker, which got us home. Lessons learned.

Been scared a couple times, worst one was anchored on Constance bank
and wind was forecast west 10-12knots which was fine when we dropped anchor.
As we fished the wind gradually increased.
an hour into the trip, we were getting steady 15-20 and I was no longer comfortable.
Pulled anchor and started the 6 mile run back to Oakbay.
Half way back, the wind was gusting to about 25 and we were surfing 4 -5 swells with white on top.
I was not happy, and could truly understand how disastrous it could be to lose power in this kind of situation.

I usually check 3 weather reports prior to departing and in this case the wind
we got was not predicted.

Johnstone Strait - Kelsey Bay - treacherous currents at the best of times - huge floating kelp masses - 100' wide whirl pools - we were as green as grass and out in an 18' fish/ski boat (more ski than fish)for Northerns in late September - not easy fishing - then a nor'wester blew up within a few minutes creating 6-7' haystacks - we had to head into it to get back to Kelsey Bay - waves breaking over the canopy nearly flattened it and us. We learned valuable lessons about planning our trips better, planning for alternate escape strategies if possible and keeping a close eye on local weather conditions all the time. Johnstone Strait stills send shivers down my spine.

Wet Spot

Jeanette Light, QC Straits. Over-stayed my welcome trying to pound out another spring. Got caught in a boomer ebb tide which stacked up against a 20 kt NW blow.

The boats around me all beat feet back to Hardy but yours truly had to go north to get back to my camp site. 8 to 10 foot haystacks---like being in a cauldron of boiling water. Blue stuff over the wheelhouse. Back deck awash, way more then the pump could keep up with. I was sure I'd lose the wheelhouse windows (and all my electronics)

My dog was doing laps around her rosary beads. I had both feet into the booties of my survival suit; it was one of those moments where if things got any worse, they could have gotten real bad....

Made slow progress but it was progress. As soon as I got out of the Jeanette nozzle, things smoothed out enough to breathe a bit easier. Then, like someone was writing a script, a pod of dolphins appeared on either side of me and rode my bow in a glorious manner. Life was wonderful again. I promised not to use the Lord's name in vain..... I promised to behave better to my girlfriend..... I promised to buy my daughter the laptop I had denied her....

I promised to buy myself a bigger boat.....

My worst experience on the water was on Pyramid Lake in Jasper chasing Trout with my first wife in a rented canoe. Anyone on here that's fished higher elevation mountain lakes is probably familiar with High-speed weather changes and this was one of those days. Started out beauty, about 75-80 degrees, blue sky, sunshine and dead calm. We're trolling around in the middle of the lake when I look up and see this wall of black cloud Roll over the mountain from the next valley over. Suddenly everything is dark, the wind is howling and rain like teas spoons mixed with hail comes pounding down. I've handled canoes before but not in anything like this. The waves are white capping at about three feet and there is only one way to go, with the wind to the far side of the lake. The Ex is basically laying in the bottom of the boat hanging on for dear life. Real screams of fear are filling my ears (hers, not mine) and I am telling her it will be all right while at the same time thinking "I am going to Die now". We manage to make shore and I flip the canoe over to empty the water and take shelter under it. I will never forget how heavy that thing was walking all the way around the lake back to the rental shack.

The really crazy thing was I can remember grabbing my fish stringer and chaining the tackle boxes and rods to the boat so if it flipped I wouldn't lose all my gear. Maybe that's why she's my Ex.

Scared, only whem I'm on a boat.
Bit of fear is good for everbody on the water.
Keeps you paing attention.
Particular situations: in a 14 footer outside Pender Harbour when she blew up, ended up putting in at Secret Cove, no way to turn and run into the northwester.
Under Lions Gate Bridge, outgoing tide, westerly blowing, in a 23 footer, standing 10 foot chop. First ride in the new to me boat.
Lessons learned: timing, tides, forecasts, variable local conditions, right sized hull under you. Much to be aware of when on the water.
Local variances are the hardest to learn. If heading into new waters, doesn't hurt to ask around, even on the board here.

In my early teens, my stepfather borrowed his brother's 18 ft boat in Campbell River to haul a bunch of relatives over to Read Island/Quadra Island to visit some old family homestead. Well the weather WAS great, blue sky and hot. He piled about 7 people into that boat and off we went after a few drinks. Great trip until we hit the afternoon thermals coming back, and that crazy whirlpool spot and threw in a massive tide change. The boat was going uphill on those waves with about 3 feet to spare above the bow, with the boat at about 70 or 80 degrees and him yelling to lean forward. It fealt like we were going to flip the boat on every wave. We would teeter on the top and go straight down, with the bow going partially under. I think he was giving it a bit of gas each time toi get the stern to dig in a bit. Picture a whole overloaded boat of white knuckled people, only some of which had life jackets and many of which were wetting their pants. We rode those ******* waves for probably fifteen minutes maybe half an hour, but time stood still and I was sure we would die. Then they stopped and we had only covered a few hundred yards. It was all up and down.

When we got back to shore my mother and his aunt told me that that was where my stepfathers two brothers had flipped a boat and one had died there 20 years before in similar circumstances.

That's when I decided that hard liquor is for after boating, lifejackets are a necessity and should preferrably be worn even if they look and feel stupid, never overload the boat even for short trips, always check the weather repeatedly and from different sources, and most of all:

If you are on a boat with a Darwin Award winner, you are in the same boat. Be careful who you put your life in the care of. My stepfather did not even learn the basics after losing his brother.

Johnstone Strait - Kelsey Bay - treacherous currents at the best of times - huge floating kelp masses - 100' wide whirl pools - we were as green as grass and out in an 18' fish/ski boat (more ski than fish)for Northerns in late September - not easy fishing - then a nor'wester blew up within a few minutes creating 6-7' haystacks - we had to head into it to get back to Kelsey Bay - waves breaking over the canopy nearly flattened it and us. We learned valuable lessons about planning our trips better, planning for alternate escape strategies if possible and keeping a close eye on local weather conditions all the time. Johnstone Strait stills send shivers down my spine.

Wet Spot

yup X2...been there done that....I dam near bought the farm their last year, if I was a cat I'm sure I would have used up 8 lives that day.....made it back to Shaw Point, and was storm stayed there 2 days longer than expected(good thing I was on holidays)...I've been out in some very nasty stuff on the WCVI, but NOTHING like the water in that area....

yup X2...been there done that....I dam near bought the farm their last year, if I was a cat I'm sure I would have used up 8 lives that day.....made it back to Shaw Point, and was storm stayed there 2 days longer than expected(good thing I was on holidays)...I've been out in some very nasty stuff on the WCVI, but NOTHING like the water in that area....

I have never been on a boat in those waters but stood on the end of the wharf at Kelsey Bay during a tide change with a wicked NW blowing and said "wow".

Back