Has anyone tried to transfer ownership or register a boat lately?

Liptugger

I have inherited a boat and went to do the transfer with the executor, probated will in hand, to goverment office in Nanaimo. Once there I was informed that you cannot do this in BC, I would have to fill out a form, send the form and proof of ID with all related documents to NewBrunswick for processing.
I was dumbfonded. We live on an island but cannot register for a K number on this side of the continent.
The lady at the counter said it was changed about 3 months ago.
Anyone else hear of this? Was this just quietly changed?
I just shake my head.

Randy

That is correct, Service Canada processes all these registrations through their eastern offices.
make sure the transfer value is nil, or you will be sent a tax bill anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years later.

That is correct, Service Canada processes all these registrations through their eastern offices.
make sure the transfer value is nil
, or you will be sent a tax bill anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years later.

They might send you an invoice for the taxes on the estimated value of said boat.... but then you can politely tell them to stuff it and go from there

Jus go there and say it was a freebie Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Cessation from this nation!!

Our Island as a nation would be faaarrrrr better for those of us that exist here. Managing our own resources, policies based regionally... imagine.

So sick of Ottawa I am serious.

I becha Newfoundland would still have cod had the poor bastards not been lured into confederation back in '49!!

Hopefully we learn from others mistakes OBH

Last year we could go to Service Canada office and the person on the desk would enter the information on the computer. You would show them the bill of sale and produce your identification. A new registration would then be printed from the laser printer. Fast easy and efficient.

So now we have to go pickup some forms and fill them out. Photocopy your ID and the bill of sale and stick them in an envelope to be sent to New Brunswick.

Sounds like we are going backwards if you ask me. Perhaps this is a make work project for the post office and the office in New Brunswick. Any one know if we need to do this in triplicate? That way they could hire three people in New Brunswick to do something that was done locally by one person.

Next thing you know we will have to apply for our fishing license in PEI. Wait strike that, PEI already controls our halibut fishing. It’s the new head office of the Department of Commercial Fishers. Minister Russell Shea.

[FONT=&quot]GLG:mad::mad::mad::mad:[/FONT]

Thanks Reel Knotty you saved me a pile of work.
GLG

Just went through this last month. Got sent from one Gov't office to the next before I finally ran into a Gov't worker that actually knew what the hell was going on with the registry changes. They had one information package (which I took) so have none left. It had the details of the new process and the application form. Still had to call them to clarify a couple things, the least painful part of the process, filled out the form, photo copied our ID's, copies of the insurance papers, bill of sale, etc. , and mailed it in. Took 3 weeks to get it back. Not bad considering you have to send it 1/3 of the way around the world and deal with the gov't. but still a pain in the butt considering it could just be entered on line at any office location if they wanted to.

i tried to transfer reg in vic last week. (unaware of the changes) i went to service canada stood in line for 30 min. then was told they don't do it there any more. minister of transportation does so i walked down the street to the ministry of transportation where no less than ten people where sitting at there desks with not a sole at the counter and they told me to fill out the package in the envelope behind me and send it to the east coast. all i could do was laugh at the pure stupidity of the whole process.

The devil is in the details. I was reading the intro to the forms that was linked and I found this gem.

Due to recent changes in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001, pleasure craft licenses are now valid for 10 years.

Time to pull out the paper work to see if I’m legal.

GLG

Back