Halibut! What do you want?

You never answered Searun's questions, Lorne.

What have YOU done? What organizations do YOU belong to? Have YOU done any volunteering in this field?

Well.....

As far as halibut nothing other then writing letters, sending emails, going to rallies( i went to the CR , Nanaimo and Victoria Rallies) and supporting the status quo.
However i am invovled with the local SFAC. Not quite to the capacity as some others, but i have been at the last 2 and had my voice heard and my vote counted. Rumor has it i may be nominted to sit on it and be more then just a voice from the side lines. I am a memmber of The courtenay F and G and the Campbell river F and G. Its funny as both people from our local sfac and F and G said we were blind sided and most didnt even know about the slot till i brought it up..(I am over it now btw) I have donated lots of my time to the Trent river through the conversation committee at our local F and G both in recruiting brood stock and in the hatchery. I have volunteered at the oyster river society. Back east I am a life time member of the Ontario Steelheaders and have put in countless hours working with them since i was knee high to a Grass Hopper. I also worked with the Maitland river and nine mile river enchanchment societies. My father was a big conservationist and always taught me if you are going to take you need to put back in. I have been inovlved as much as i can. I am just learning the ropes of how to make a bigger impact. Im learning quickly Ive done more in my 3 years here then alot of folks. I am not a chest beater with the "look what i have done" and frankly ive had about enough of "thankless hours of volunteer time" rhetoric, incompetent participation is a million times worse than no engagement. I am not saying anyone here is incompetent, or doesn't put in the work. I've never questioned that. I questioned the interigty of the process. And i find it laughable that anytime anyone questions your motives or how exactly this slot is going to work(monitored or have any effect on our portion of the TAC) we get hammered with the "get involved, you dont know ****!!" response. Which further proves to me anyway, that this was shoot from the hip thought, with only a few in mind. I am only 31, own a business work 60+ hours a week, all year long (except for the winter). Dont worry, you'll be seeing alot more of me :)
I have more then said my piece. I am ready to move on and work together towards the real goal of changing the 85/15 through unification of the entire rec sector. We are on the same team. Just on different pages. I'm ready to let it go and fight for the greater good.

Lorne out

And Searun, I am not represting your views. You said youself this was a good thing a few pages back, here i'll quote it for you. Please stop blowing smoke. I want to be on your side. We need to be one voice and I am prepared to take the nessecary steps to do so. are you?

We have a good regulatory option (slot limit) that will keep us all fishing for the entire season. There is no need for any other regulation at this time. We should not be chucking stones at sectors within the recreational fishery. This is precisely what the commies want to see happening. Time for all rec anglers to work together, get involved and for us to start work on our longer term strategies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackel, no one can, or will, answer the question of how a slot limit can work - at least not on this forum. Trust me, Lorne, myself and others have tried countless times. The Alaskans have already tried it for a couple years, it didn't work so they abandoned it. If you take the time to read the various threads you will find out, though, that "making this season work" was done for the good of everyone. Just don't ask why, then, if it was championed by the guides and outfitters they didn't take the hit and have a max size (of course this would affect those booking who want a fish of a lifetime) rather than at the expense of the do-it-yourselfers (makes sense that a 150 and a 15 is legal but not two 25 lbers, right?). If you ask that you'll get yelled at to "stop bitchin' and get involved!!". I think that's code for - we don't know/we didn't fully understand what we were doing/we don't care or something along those lines. Also, everyone who might reply has sworn off this thread so I'd be suspicious of any and all replies - likely impostors!

Hopefully folks still have a sense of humour about how this has all gone down. Better to laugh about it than cry at this point.

What a stupid idea, scare away the tourists that come to BC and spend their money in our towns. Let me guess, you have some quota you want to lease out?? New to this coast...my arce!! How bout we charge the "non fishing" quota speculators a 95% tax on their illegal lease fees and use it for habitat enhancement!!! When the courts finally outlaw the practice of charging your crews lease fees, I hope you have to pay back every cent. Nice try commie!!

Wow quite the backlash for asking a simple question must be a marina owner. Why should the tourists be ahead of our own local fishermen? Last arguement I read was that this was about the Canadians that can't access the resource. PHMA Nightmare you are so full of crap it is pathetic. The local fisherman is getting screwed here by the commercial sports guys. OBMG doesnt give a rats butt about anything other than profits. This recent announcement proves that the little guy is being thrown under the bus at the expense of what the lodges want. Total BS.

The answer to your question is on the second fish you are using up less weight... our friends to the north caught bigger fish thus using up more weight.... using up less weight allows the season to be extend.....it is average weight thing .....so this is not a good thing for the lodges and guides as they are giving up fish also for everyone.. This so everyone can go out a catch a fish if they so want to in Aug.... a little pain for this season only so everyone has a chance to retain a halibut or two .. The reason you keep hearing get involved because as you do you will get to understand it's complicated ... As I talk to people about what has gone down and explain to them the why and how, most people under stand..... Most people I have talked to retain a couple halibut a year it's really no a inconvience to them....Some maybe a couple in 5 years, they fish Aug only..like the idea that they can most likely be able to retain one or 2 in Aug now.. this is a resource that needs to be shared bye everyone, most anglers our not on theses forums...they work hard every year and get once or two and are just happy to get that one or two fish.... Got to ask some of you ...just how many halibut do you need? And I mean you and your family... with this ccurrent reg.. you will get the fish you require for this year....a bit of pain yes.... are you going to live YUP

Next year is an new year :)

who shall i send the bill too for the american salmon you kill along WCVI??? let me know......................

where do we send the bill for all the halibut your drag and pcod fisheries are killing and throwing away in Alaska (20,000,000 lbs)? How about all the salmon intercepted at Noyes island that is destined for the skeena or nass?

Jackel, no one can, or will, answer the question of how a slot limit can work - at least not on this forum. Trust me, Lorne, myself and others have tried countless times. The Alaskans have already tried it for a couple years, it didn't work so they abandoned it. If you take the time to read the various threads you will find out, though, that "making this season work" was done for the good of everyone. Just don't ask why, then, if it was championed by the guides and outfitters they didn't take the hit and have a max size (of course this would affect those booking who want a fish of a lifetime) rather than at the expense of the do-it-yourselfers (makes sense that a 150 and a 15 is legal but not two 25 lbers, right?). If you ask that you'll get yelled at to "stop bitchin' and get involved!!". I think that's code for - we don't know/we didn't fully understand what we were doing/we don't care or something along those lines. Also, everyone who might reply has sworn off this thread so I'd be suspicious of any and all replies - likely impostors!

Hopefully folks still have a sense of humour about how this has all gone down. Better to laugh about it than cry at this point.

Agreed!

Slot size proposal was a back room deal. It most likely won't benefit anyone, and definately not our
Long term goal of more TAC
It did not work in Alaska and it won't work here.
This is what angers so many people. ...no consultation.

A SLOT LIMIT is PATHETIC in this size restriction in my belief ........... As UKEE Dreamin said ..... how is it OK to BONK a 150 and a 15 and not 2 - 25's as said PATHETIC WORK

SFAB ! Who the hell are you representing ..... ?? WTF is THAT ? 1 over 83cm. and 1 under 83cm ....... GIVE YOUR HEADS A SHAKE !

SFAB ....... RETHINK what your are proposing .......... TOURISM is about to take a HUGE SHI_ ! again ...............

SO YOUR SAYING YOU KILL THE BIG BREEDER ........ the life line of the fishery ...............??? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ! How about nothing over the 100 pound mark and allowing a second fish to not exceed 120 CM.

I ALSO say that a HALLY License should be like a Salmon license, a max of say 5 to 10 annually. I ALSO BELIVE THAT WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED YOU 2 POSSESSION LIMIT IN THE ONE DAY!

I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN TO ISLAND ON A RECREATIONAL FISHING HOLIDAY ONE TIME THIS YEAR ... AND SPEND SEVERAL HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS OVERALL TO DO IT ....... I SURE HOPE I CAN GET ONE CHANCE TO EVEN GO OFFSHORE TO GET MY ONE HALLY ......... AND WITH THE ADVICE OF THE SFAB AND DFO WILL LIKELY KILL A BIG SPAWNER BECAUSE I CAN"T AFFORD TO GO OUT TWICE ! WAY TO GO TO ALL OF YOU IN THIS STUPID DECISION IT APPEARS YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE !

PATHETIC!

HT

Has something changed in Alaska? The sport limit in 3A hasn't been affected by reduction in TAC but I believe area 2C is one fish under 45 inches or one over 68inches. Last year it was one Halibut under 37inches period. Long flight to Alaska for one 15lb Halibut.
You must also keep the carcass on board until you land at the dock.

One fish a day/possession under 15lb is what wasn't working in South East Alaska. I heard one town almost went bankrupt because no tourists showed up last year. They had to shut down the chamber of commerce. The sport sector is getting a better ear from government because of the economic fall out and the regs got a little better this year.

Correct me if I am wrong

Can you imagine getting an 18 lb. halibut on the first day of a two day hali derby. Maybe the next step is barbless hooks. IMO, the number of weigh-ins will be down dramatically, given the second fish must be under 15 lbs.

where do we send the bill for all the halibut your drag and pcod fisheries are killing and throwing away in Alaska (20,000,000 lbs)? How about all the salmon intercepted at Noyes island that is destined for the skeena or nass?

no worries there fisher69, i will keep my tourist dollars from polluting your island. when you finish kicking sand at everyone, take a look in the mirror. your insane seasons and bag limits have brought this to a head for yourselves. of course your wacky government is not helping the situation either. all the best. i still believe you need to organize and take this to court, the only way to reverse the tide on a political situation.

Halibut, what do I want ? quite honestly I have no problem with non residents coming to BC to fish, however, I think its time to put some tighter possession and ANNUAL limits for all non residents similar to the way it is in alaska on certain spieces. The slot limit could also apply to NON residents only. This is Canada and Canadians should be looked after before NON residents.

They will certainly have to make a lot of trips once over/under goes into effect as you must fillet the fish in a way it can be "re-assembled", if directed by a fisheries officer.

the song is probably older than me Searun
I will call you soon and catch up with you hope all is well

Looking forward to it. Time to have a good bs session. All this stuff going on is sickening. Too much us vs them. A house divided cannot stand.

Back