Halibut - The Hammer Falls

IronNoggin

In a recent letter (of which I only have a PDF copy - anyone that can enlighten me on how to post??) Fisheries Minister Gail Shea responds to the SFAB regarding the halibut situation.

In its' contents:

- The Fisheries Minister formally rejects the consensus proposal for a compensated transfer of halibut allocation between the commercial and recreational sectors put forward last year by the two harvest sectors, First Nations and the Province of BC. It says that since the proposal “poses difficult financial and legal risks for the department</u>” “the existing allocation framework will remain with an 88:12 sharing arrangement and provisions for agreed adjustments.”

- No explanation for "“provisions for agreed adjustments.” While this may be taken to mean that the Recreational Sector can continue to lease quota from the commercial sector, the only source of revenue to accomplish that will soon be exhausted and is unlikely to provide enough halibut to allow a full recreational season, even with a continuation of restrictions similar to those imposed last year.

- Government has decided that the private property rights it has given commercial quota holders take precedence over recreational access, even though each pound of recreationally caught halibut brings far more social and economic value to the coastal economy.

- The letter concludes by asking the SFAB to “renew our efforts toward finding an acceptable approach”. But they have closed the door to any further discussion regarding adjustment of the current quota "sharing".

- The letter makes clear that the department has abandoned any hope of finding a long term solution to the current allocation dilemma. The Minister is either unable or unwilling to exercise what we are told repeatedly is her absolute discretion with respect to allocation.

So there it is. No long term solution, status quo rules the day (no real surprise I guess). Given the Department's complete lack of willingness last season to procure additional quota at cost (as laid out by Formal Agreement), this cannot spell anything but bad news for those who like to sportfish for halibut.

As noted above, I would welcome any advice as to just how to post the pdf letter. In the interim, any that request a copy of that is free to Email me.

Nog

As you can see our fisheries minister has commercial roots on the East Coast. She is bound to protect their interests. We have been again let down by a government that gets elected by the common man and woman and bends to the big money influence.
How many mom and pop commercial fishers get a share of this quota? Not many I think. They are also getting the shaft.[V]

IMG_1445.jpg

YEP wait and see no couldnt predict this at all but oh never mind!!!!!! get ready as it is quite apperant from that letter it was too bad see ya have fun on the westcoast.

GREAT JUST FNG GREAT

Wolf

A don't call me I'll call you message.[:eek:)]

IMG_1445.jpg

Another example of "third world dictatorship corruption" happening under our nose in a western democratic society...absolutely deplorable!!!

Read the letter earlier today, pretty bloody grim! Hats off to all like Chris Boss and others who put in the countless hours of effort to fight this. It just shows we are a measley speck of sand in the politcal pond.

I wonder if we will get a notice on Friday and what that will entail?

www.tailspincharters.com

It's not what you know its who you blow. Anyway...just another rubber stamper!![V][V]

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Brainless piece of meat, our new minister![xx(][xx(]

Have you guys thought for a minute that the commercial big boys, not talking about the guys that actually fish for halibut but the movers and shakers that own these quotas, are gonna just roll and let go of their dough just like that????
We're just too f'ng nice in this country I guess LOL
AAARRRGHHH

JUST FISHEN'

Well,government documents dont get as nondescript as that.Wondering if the shift to a federal "laisse-faire" attitude is worse than our provincial "greasy palm" form of legislature.
God help us all

Hooch

This statement say’s it all in regards to the 12/88 split agreement.
“The document poses difficult financial and legal risks for the department.”

Financial Risk - Don’t they get it, without the public having access it will put local towns and local people in difficult financial risk There is a domino effect when nobody comes to your town to fish and that’s the path there heading down.

Legal Risk - Are they telling us that the legal risk is, they have given away the publics resource (the fish in the water) to private/corporate hands (lease holders) that they don’t want to take it back because they are afraid of a court challenge? What is a lease? Correct me if I am wrong but if I were to “lease” a house does that mean I have that house for all time and I could sell or rent that house and the owner has no say in the matter. And as a bonus I never even had to pay a thing for that lease.

Department Risk – That’s great, worried about you department and not about the people who voted you into that job of yours. Who does this department report to? Last time I checked it was the People of Canada not the Companies of Canada.

No I’m not sorry for the rant. This upsets me on so many levels GLG:(

I wouldnt say the hammer has fallen but an ANVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do we still go the wait and see attitude and try and work with these people Like some on this forum have suggested.
Justin and myself have all tries to pre warn you and when we did some ripped us an new a-hole for it now it has come and now all of us are pissed off.

Im telling you this isnt the end of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!2010 there is going to be even more crap come down the pipe just not with halibut but salmon as well.

We have to fight them now end of subject no more mr nice guy whatever the new coalition is planning we have to back whatever they want us to do 100%as it is quite obvious the gov. really doesnt give a $**** about us here. I know they have had a few meetings now and have had some heavy hitters attend.
so when it does come that they need our support dont sit on your a$$ and let everyone else do it we need to do this with numbers of people many as we can get even people who dont fish kids etc.

My rant for the day( till I get back from work)

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

I wouldnt say the hammer has fallen but an ANVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im telling you this isnt the end of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!2010 there is going to be even more crap come down the pipe just not with halibut but salmon as well.

Yep...and it will be DFO to blame for salmon too thanks to their halibut shenanigans. Think about the beach pressure now on Port Renfrew - assuming 1/day hali, MOST will forget about the banks and concentrate on slaying big slabs close to shore - will be a gong show day in day out and this will be the case all the way up the west coast. Will be TONS of pressure on the salmon stocks, and I bet Sooke will hurt because of it (can't catch what has already been caught!). This is my main concern of the 1/day restriction - collateral damage!

Well said Dewar25. 2008 was like that except the other way around, guys were just hammering halibut, then trying to grind the springs out when they could. Other then some hot feeder action in July, and acouple of good days on a few salmon spots off shore, it was pretty hard for springs. If someone was targetting just springs, I bet you could do just as well Sooke way compared to the expense of running to Camper. Without the offshore fishery, Renfrew is not that much better then Sooke. As much as it's going to hurt, the reduction in halibut is probably going to reduce fishing pressure all along WCVI.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

be interesting to see how that pans out - could see that effect for Renfrew some, not so much further north - seems those are more 'destinations' for tourists (Tofino/GR etc) and they will go there with or without halibut. Guess it comes down to what the guides will do - any of you that stay in the likes of Renfrew will likely see most of the business being beach business - if you relocate to Sooke, that is still equal pressure on the salmon. Personally, I 'enjoy' Renfrew more for salmon because of additional bycatch and lack of underwater 'traps', but obviously does mean full day excursion.

Nevertheless, no matter which way you look at it, reduction to 1 for halibut means dramatic pressure increase on salmon. I find that incredibly sad knowing the halibut biomass is not at risk (whereas salmon is) and this is all over some stupid decision made 5 years ago without any real data to back it up. [xx(]

That letter really F****#G pisses me off! The more i read it the more i realize what we are dealing with here. We should have a new minister of Fisheries for the West Coast region period, one with a background of our fishery and the impacts it will have by closing it down and changing Coastal B.C. history forever. This will effect tourism with a shakedown ripple effect for at least the next decade. 88/12 common, The rich Miami based quota holders are a grinning watching us squirm...

www.tailspincharters.com

I am SO not surprised.

2 years ago this ugly monster reared it's head and all heard it, especially with last seasons fiasco.

If people remain on the bench, sooner or later someone is going to take it out from underneath you..... Again, not surprised.

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!

Mr. Dean

What exactly is your frustration related to? Is it the fact that DFO has not to this point released this seasons opening and any details as what our daily retention will be? Or is your frustration related to an over exaggerated frame of thought, whereby you may be reading into things prematurely? The lines of communication are still open and there are people working on our behalf. It is not over until we have an official announcement. The Minister is asking us for more options in order to help her make the best decision possible based on the 88/12 ratio. The 88/12 has been determind and will not change without buying quota from the commercials. The door is still open and the lines of communication are still connected. SFI is working diligently on this matter, remember the process of SFAB and SFAC are extremely important to the health and vitality of our sport fishery. Join SFAC in your region. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

One thing for sure you have to give credit where it is due and mason you have to be the most optimistic person i have met well ok seen writing on this forum.
If you cant recongonize why we are ALL frustrated then there really isnt anything I can say to get the point across.

Have a good day

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back