Halibut Seminar

profisher

I have enough of the planning done to let you guys know what I'm up to and fill you in on the details to date. The halibut seminar will be held on Saturday February 18th, 2012 from noon until 4pm. This should be about 2 weeks before the halibut season opens up and one week after the boat show. I have secured the West Shore Ballroom at the Four Points Sheraton located behind Costco. We will have a capacity of about 200 people and I expect with the interest I've received so far it will sell out quite easily.
The seminar will be set up to explain all that is involved in a successful and safe halibut fishing trip from start to finish. The first part of your halibut trip will be going to the local marine outfitters store and buying the necessary gear to safely fish for halibut. Trevor Hagen and Brennen Boyne from Trotac Marine will open the seminar by explaining the proper halibut fishing anchor setup. They will have all the hardware on hand and go through the complete system and explain it in detail.
Gord Martin of Foghorn Fishing will be up second on the agenda. Gord is well know locally for his success with consistently finding large barn doors for his halibut charter customers. A search for him on "You Tube" will bring up a few good halibut trips and catches for you to watch. He will explain tides verse currents, maximum currents to fish on anchor, how to confirm current flow before anchoring up, safely deploying an anchor. Trotac Marine will have a scaled down version of the complete anchor system on hand for me and Gord to use to demonstrate this procedure. SG Power Products has also agreed to lend us an aluminum boat which we can set up in the back of the room to help us demonstrate the proper deployment and retrieval of the anchor. Gord will also explain what to look for on a chart when picking a spot to drop anchor and fish for halibut. He will also go over gear and baits and conclude his talk on how to properly land a large halibut and retrieving the anchor.
The final speaker at the seminar will be a local well know chef who will explain the proper care of halibut after it is caught, how to best prepare fresh and frozen halibut for great results at home and share some recipes. When I have that commitment I will announce who that chef will be. I'm hoping that individual will come from the Sooke Harbour House. (my first choice)
Tickets will be $35.00 per person this time around. With the increased demand for this seminar we needed a bigger room, which this time we have to pay for. We also have to pay for all the extra's as well. That includes the use of a PA system, chalk board, coffee and tea. I will have the tickets out to the venues by the weekend of December 10th so that those of you with sweeties can ask for a ticket for Christmas. All proceeds will again go to the Charters River Interpretive Centre and Hatchery. I've once again been approached by businesses and individuals who want to support the cause with donations for door prizes and a raffle. I will let you know what the raffle prize (s) will be once they are confirmed. Anyone willing to help out with donations that will help us maximize the donation to the centre and hatchery can contact me anytime.

AWESOME!

Profisher, let me know well in advance so as I can plan things out in order to help your fundraiser once again. Glad to hear about the success of the last one...guys from the north isle said that they loved the info and the way it was all presented. I know that you will do well again. Don't be afraid to make the tickets $40...it is well worth it - you will sell out again, for sure! I will do what I can to help make your event a smashing success.

DHA.

I definitely want to attend. I missed out on the salmon seminar. Please let us know when and where tickets are available.

This sounds great. There are probably other beginners out there like me who have no idea how to deploy and anchor in 100 plus feet of water and are daunted by the whole complex procedure and equipment required. Having actual models and equipment there will really help. Sure would be nice to catch a halibut one day!!
Feb 18th pencilled in my calendar.........

Way to go Rollie! Do the salmon-seminar attendees get first dibs on tickets? Count me in regardless ;)

BTW: Wouldn't a dingy or rubber raft be easier than an aluminum boat? Just thinkin'...

Terry, if the email I got at the salmon seminar is correct you will get first chance at tickets. I will be sending out an email in the next few days. I would have my boat there if there was room, but the aluminum will be easy enough to move around. SG will drop it off and pick it up so not my worry anyway. I've learned from the first seminar that I need to provide a list of questions that I want answered. I'll also warn the speakers that I may back them up to explain something in more detail or if they skip something important by mistake.

Rollie I unfortunately missed the salmon seminar but definately want to attend the halibut one - sounds like a great agenda. Please keep me in the loop for tickets. Thanks.

I would be interested as we would like professional knowledge on anchoring in deeper water (100+)...and the many other tips and tricks.

Profisher...sent a PM...I may have fished with you...

WOW..haven't printed off the tickets and its sounding half sold out already. I knew the halibut seminar would draw a lot of interest. Happy to know the bigger room won't go to waste.

I'll keep my eye out for an email. I put my email on a piece of paper which I think was the list. Looking forward to this seminar and the halibut opening. Hope Gord will share some of his scent secrets and how to properly rig various baits.

Get the pub to feed him drinks while he talks. ;)

I printed all the tickets tonight and have emailed all those who signed the sheet at the salmon seminar. For those people and all you here the early tickets are available by this Saturday at the outlets. This will be one week before the general public are told that tickets are available for sale. I've had quite a few requests for tickets from out of towners who can't easily get to the ticket outlets. If those of you from outside of Victoria mail me a cheque for $35 and include a postage paid and self addressed envelope...I will put your ticket in the mail for you. Your cheque should be made out to the 'Juan De Fuca Salmon Restoration Society" and can be mailed to me. Rollie Rose 836 Rockheights Ave Victoria, B.C. V9A 6J4

Hey Rollie, Matt from Perma here..... Can you either drop two off at the office in your travels and I'll have a cheque for you or alternatively, I can come by your place, whatever is easy. Let me know I'll leave $ with reception. Thanks!!

Found time today to get the tickets to Island Outfitters and Westshore Sportfishing. They have 50 each to get started.

I'm going to call my contact at the hotel tomorrow and see if they will give some generous room discounts for those attending the seminar. I have people coming from Seattle, Vancouver, Tofino, Ladysmith and Nanaimo so far. It just occurred to me that some cheap rooms for the out of town folk might be useful.

I guess your not watching the team beat Columbus if you're here reading what's going on!!!! ;) Tenting in Feb...either burrrrrrrrr or counting the new flowers.

Back