Halibut season

scott craven

I just spoke with the DFO office in Victoria and requested
information on the Halibut & Chinook seasons.
They advised there will be an announcement friday (Feb 20)
for the Halibut season.
No info available on the Chinook season.

I was really expecting an announcement by Friday Feb 13th, but there was no news. Get your hali tackle ready but don't get your hopes too high just yet!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Ya they said the announcement would involve opening dates
and catch limits...
read what you want into that statement.

Well I'm looking forward to some flatties. Just ate the last few pieces from the freezer. It better open up I got the boat all ready to go and gear tied up! Bring on the blood!

To refine what LC said - no change to the 88/12% quota split and therefore substantial cuts to the 2009 sport quota compared to last year. No word on when it opens and how it opens...Our new minister thinks it's fair the way it is and changes would hurt the economy...Brainless piece of meat! [xx(][xx(]

my question is how they intend to regulate the reduction.Are we going to see a narrow window of opportunity or are they going to implement some valid ideas that have been pitched around the sportie community.This will be a good time to see if our input has any weight at all.
I would prefer to see an experimental regulation fail (ie: annual limits) than the typical time-based closure that seems to be the only solution that our governing bodies rely upon.
But then again,maybe we're too late to save another species.

Hooch

This is just the beginnig guys bet you wont see a season maybe if we are lucky april 1 but lets wait and see and be optimistic its not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!

But ill warn you all now this is halibut. and take notice THIS WIL NOT be the end of it there will be more to come summer springs will be next.
if your thinking of buying a boat and becoming a guide stick to what you got as its going to a very very rough road.
thats why i got back into being a chef

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Guess what ?, DFO hope to have an answer on the rec. Halibut opening
today before 4:30.... but they weren't positive [:0]
nothing on Chinook yet.

Interesting that the SFAB did not support a 1 and 2, daily and possession limit that would have extended the season. Is this because they prefer to see a shorter season that facilitates the big lodge operations that rely on liberal quotas to bring in customers? As for the local angler who fishes out of Victoria, how many halibut a day do you need? If you have three people in the boat, you can keep three halibut – isn’t that enough? It may be that DFO will open the season early this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it closes soon after the end of August. Unfortunately, I fear what we will see eventually is a truncated summer-only opening that favours the commercial recreation sector.

If the announcement that we are waiting for today is generated back east where it is 5:45 pm right now, why don't we have an answer??
Craven - what's the local number to call?

Thanks,
Tips

just called the number and they said no answer yet.....maybe mid next week:(

everybody keep calling them....she sounded somewhat annoyed

LOL!
Yup she sounded annoyed. Especially after I grilled her a bit [}:)]

Make a call and don't forget to drop by the DFO booth tomorrow to ask a few questions.

Tips

Back