Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

cby

Hello Fellow Fisherman,

Please post your reports here for southern island Halibut catches.

Pictures if possible, where abouts, what bait / lure? Good Luck to everyone this Halibut season. Hopefully it stays open before the dogfish show up.

CBY.

cby

Dropped the pick off the trailer park in Sooke yesterday at about 1pm which was a bit early as the current was rockin!!The current changed about 3 so we figured something might happen but nada!!The sun came out and the refreshments were great so all in all it was a fun opening day.Bait of the day was mackeral.CHEERS

went out this morning out of victoria and fished between 8:00 & 10:30 and had two hit's and got a 40 pounder on the third hit.It was an awesome day out there today, especialy when doing it solo,makes things kinda interesting :) herring was bait of choice.

KFF, where abouts were you fishing when you caught the Hali? Depth, bait etc. How did you land it on your own? Gaff, harpoon? Any issues dealing with it on your own?

Matador

I was over at the albert head area and i was using herring for bait.landing it wasn't too bad,used the poon first then gaffed him aboard after he was tired out.was interesting reeling in the other rod with one hand while playing the hali in the other :)

Couple of questions from a hali novice. If I'm going to use some herring, it it a good idea to brine it like salmon bait to toughen it up, or should I leave it alone?

Secondly, if I'm looking at a chart for a good spot to try, what should I be searching for? I've heard that humps are best. Are these gradual humps or something pretty steep? I've also heard that valleys are good. But lots of halies seem to come from the Oak Bay flats, so maybe they're everywhere.:)

If any of you veterans would like to give me some tips on what to look for it would be much appreciated. We will be anchoring and are comfortable doing it safely.

Thanks.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

your rite highliner they are everywhere and eat everything,although i find early season e constance is a little more consitant.Fished today for the first time put the gear down at 7 and we were back the dock by 830 both were on herring in 200ft of water.

7 chickens 1 50lbr couple of doggies. Of course kept only our limit.
Herring, octo, salmon belly. Don't think they were choosy at all today. Usual favorite spot [:p]
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Well done Gypseas. Went off OaK Bay today for a couple of hours. Hit one around 30ibs and called it a day. Beauty of a day out there. Cheers FC

Fished with Tailout this morning. 40lb and 55lb in the boat. 1 on salomon belly and 1 on herring. Few dogs. Very nice out there today.
Thanks Rick.

Tips

HalifishingMar609002b.jpg
[/img]

Back