Halibut opening

The reason the 6 fish annual limit was brought in was to stop any guide from gifting fish to customers. Most guides want some fish in their freezers just like everyone else. I've had a few customers over the years ask how many fish we were allowed for the day. When I told them they said , what about your limit. I say the same thing, yes I'm entitled to my limit...but it's my limit. Your limit doesn't change just because you are fishing with me.
I agree with you.

Reactions: abl
so if you take your friends fishing and they dont catch any..... do you give them some of yours? i do.. i call it sharing the harvest.

read more, learn more...stop trolling!
No I don’t give them mine as I think that’s against the law? And I’m not trolling.

No I don’t give them mine as I think that’s against the law? And I’m not trolling.

again , read more... it is illegal to buy , barter or trade sport caught fish. sharing or gifting is not.

sorry , your posts seem trollish as your same thoughts have been stirred up by others in the past.

Not sure what your your question is but guides are personally allowed 6 halibut per season on their license just like you. The guides customers are fishermen just like you and are also entitles to 6 halibut each year. As the vast majority of lodge or guides customers visit the coast once a year at the most, they more often only take 1 or 2 halibut each year if they get any at all.
Pro i think what he is pointing to is that you make a living off of the fishing, yes legally you are allowed the same fish on your license as his , he has a BC#, you have a C# (commercial). there are a lot of rec fishers who think this way. It is the same as a small 1 person operation (guide) complaining about the lodges taking the majority of the Tac. Here lies the problem when you base a business on a public resource. Oh and on a side note i know guides like to post pictures on the net, be careful, as there are a lot of guides not naming names that seem to have an extra fish in lets say more than 6 pictures a year, not stirring the **** just stating facts, don't screw it for the ones who follow the rules

WE are all sportfisherman like it or not just because we area a guide means nothing we are allowed same as you we are a means for people to go fishing and we have certain rules and regs that we have to follow from DOT stand point.there are a few "guides" that dont follow just like some rec guys I see it all the time, one word "ON FIRE"
I laugh when people say your freezer must be full .... NOPE it isnt. im lucky sometime I get my fish on a trip. i love fresh seafood just like you do.
when I do go fishing with buds which is not often it is split equally between us as I really dont care who got it its about having fun and coming home with some fish for your family. its called SHARING.....

Wolf

WE are all sportfisherman like it or not just because we area a guide means nothing we are allowed same as you we are a means for people to go fishing and we have certain rules and regs that we have to follow from DOT stand point.there are a few "guides" that dont follow just like some rec guys I see it all the time, one word "ON FIRE"
I laugh when people say your freezer must be full .... NOPE it isnt. im lucky sometime I get my fish on a trip. i love fresh seafood just like you do.
when I do go fishing with buds which is not often it is split equally between us as I really dont care who got it its about having fun and coming home with some fish for your family. its called SHARING.....

Wolf
Is this directed at me??

Must say, posts like the one I am still reading on here are the reason we have 6 limits and size restrictions. Remember this has nothing to do with conservation of halibut, the reason for 6 fish and size restrictions is ONLY to spread our small TAC between a growing number of Sport fishers. If we were one united front (Sport fishers, guides, lodges, Residents, non residents, anyone who buys a tidal water sport fishing license is EQUAL) we would already have 30% TAC and regular seasons. Its a case of very organized big money against an unorganized opponent who would prefer to call each other names. Until we unite we will continue to get and settle for less.

Maybe some future light if the recently announced changes for East Coast fishing trickles our way. We will still need to stop bickering amongst our minority.

Just my opinion.

HM

Here chew on this for a while.

2018 TAC = 928,000 and change
Unless something big happens either to biomass or allocation we are being asked to prepare for something like this.
2019 could be 928k less 15% = 789k
Or as low as 928k less 30% =650k
rough numbers.

I have to make a comment here. Halibut are a national recourse not a provincial. Guides are crucial for the majority of fisherman to access this recourse. With out them most Canadians would only be able to access Halibut through the grocery store & it would quickly turn to a 100% commercially owned fishery. It gets me a little worked up when people start finger pointing within the sport fishing community. It doesn't matter what area you fish, or if you make your living guiding/teaching other sport fishers. No one should be thrown under the bus, or "take one for the team". We are all part of a Brotherhood (& Sisterhood). I am grateful we have guides. With out their passion for the sport the west coast fishery would not exist.

Now enough of this BS of bashing areas & bashing each other. Stay focused on the ROOT CAUSE to solve this problem.

Don’t no why people are trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth. Our guide in bamfield always topped up our possessions limits on the rare case we don’t max catch chinook. Also gifted fish to our friend who stayed on the beach sea sick.

Don’t no why people are trying to kick a gift horse in the mouth. Our guide in bamfield always topped up our possessions limits on the rare case we don’t max catch chinook. Also gifted fish to our friend who stayed on the beach sea sick.

LOL. Gifting a fish to someone who's a friend, and topping limits for paying clients with fish that may or may not have been caught in excess of the guide's annual limit are two very different things!

yup, that's exactly why I'm questioning the catch and also suggesting that if we all did our log books we could stop the over-estimation and gain some TAC back. Those June numbers for Area 19 make zero sense to me, and the TAC in June alone is BC's entire TAC for Feb to April under 133 cm rules.

When people ask me what can I do, the easiest thing is complete accurate log books! By the way, always measure your retained (not released) fish with the tape measure on the floor, not across the top side of the fish - every cm matters...and, don't just guestimate either. Writing down 83 cm for every under size fish adds up fast. Nice to hear a few guys are doing log books, please keep it up!

If you think this year was hard, next year we could see another 15 to 30% reduction. Every pound matters.

On another topic...Area closures aren't a good option either because anglers are mobile, if we close one area and leave another open people just move. So you really aren't going to see a reduction of any significance.

I disagree slightly with area closures not making a difference. People from Victoria aren’t going to go to Haida gwaii or Bella coola. Or even port hardy for one halibut. The average weekend warrior won’t either. A lot of cost involved in that. While yes mobile, areas are very far apart for the most part (Renfrew to Vic is different though I will agree)

I have to make a comment here. Halibut are a national recourse not a provincial. Guides are crucial for the majority of fisherman to access this recourse. With out them most Canadians would only be able to access Halibut through the grocery store & it would quickly turn to a 100% commercially owned fishery. It gets me a little worked up when people start finger pointing within the sport fishing community. It doesn't matter what area you fish, or if you make your living guiding/teaching other sport fishers. No one should be thrown under the bus, or "take one for the team". We are all part of a Brotherhood (& Sisterhood). I am grateful we have guides. With out their passion for the sport the west coast fishery would not exist.

Now enough of this BS of bashing areas & bashing each other. Stay focused on the ROOT CAUSE to solve this problem.

Well said.

Some people and not just when it comes to fishing seem unable to get their head around the fact those are Federal waters out there not provincial, those waters and the recource in them are owned by all Canadians. B.C's border stops at the low tide line same as it stops at the border to the east, north and south and that's a fact jack. BC should feel lucky at least they get the benefit of the money coming in from those waters in the form of recreational users and jobs and not have to share that with the rest of the country, ( possibly do in the form of transfer payments so I may be wrong ) the residents of BC and in particular those on the coast benifit hugely from a recource owned by all Canadians, think about that. Guides are not taking anything from anybody all they are doing is providing a vessel and gear and knowledge allowing people a chance at that resource. Doesn't matter if it's your own boat, a buddies or a guides boat what's the difference a boat is a boat. It's not like the charter boys get to use any different methods than you or I, it's all a level playing field.

Last edited:
Well said.

Some people and not just when it comes to fishing seem unable to get their head around the fact those are Federal waters out there not provincial, those waters and the recource in them are owned by all Canadians. B.C's border stops at the high tide line same as it stops at the border to the east, north and south and that's a fact jack. BC should feel lucky at least they get the benefit of the money coming in from those waters in the form of recreational users and jobs and not have to share that with the rest of the country, ( possibly do in the form of transfer payments so I may be wrong ) the residents of BC and in particular those on the coast benifit hugely from a recource owned by all Canadians, think about that. Guides are not taking anything from anybody all they are doing is providing a vessel and gear and knowledge allowing people a chance at that resource. Doesn't matter if it's your own boat, a buddies or a guides boat what's the difference a boat is a boat. It's not like the charter boys get to use any different methods than you or I, it's all a level playing field.
Not quite correct. But the fish are certainly Federal. This is from DFO’s site.
British Columbia
A Supreme Court of Canada decision in 1984 (the Strait of Georgia Reference) held that, when British Columbia entered Confederation in 1871, the province consisted of all British territories, including dry land, coastal straits and submerged lands. Thus British Columbia owns the waters and submerged lands of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Strait of Georgia, Johnstone Strait and Queen Charlotte Strait and the waters and submerged lands between major headlands (bays, estuaries and fjords). This ownership includes natural resources — “the rocks and docks" and the marine resources — “flora and fauna" attached and all subsurface resources. As such, provincial laws apply to activities such as standing on a beach, sailing in a passage, mooring in a bay, building a marina/dock or raising oysters in the same way that those laws apply to activities on land.

Reactions: GLG
Well said.

Some people and not just when it comes to fishing seem unable to get their head around the fact those are Federal waters out there not provincial, those waters and the recource in them are owned by all Canadians. B.C's border stops at the low tide line same as it stops at the border to the east, north and south and that's a fact jack. BC should feel lucky at least they get the benefit of the money coming in from those waters in the form of recreational users and jobs and not have to share that with the rest of the country, ( possibly do in the form of transfer payments so I may be wrong ) the residents of BC and in particular those on the coast benifit hugely from a recource owned by all Canadians, think about that. Guides are not taking anything from anybody all they are doing is providing a vessel and gear and knowledge allowing people a chance at that resource. Doesn't matter if it's your own boat, a buddies or a guides boat what's the difference a boat is a boat. It's not like the charter boys get to use any different methods than you or I, it's all a level playing field.

As much is this all sounds great and I hope the attitude remains. I can not help but wonder if this will hold true wen the Halibut regs get so bad it is no longer workable for businesses. Wen push comes to shove and it is down to buy into quota or remove Halibut from charter options, will we still be on a level playing field? Or will we see those with the resources leaving the non vested and smaller charter guys in the dust. Only to be able to fish Halibut if ya can afford to pay someone with quota to take you??

I very much fear that this is only a couple more short years away until we find out,

Personally, I can not believe we have sat and done little to nothing for most of the last decade to try to convince dfo to make a change to allocation and how they manage our resources. ITQ is stripping access from every one but the rich.
Question is how do we NOT be the parents and grandparents that have to tell the next generation we are sorry we sat on our asses instead of saving it for you?

Holy **** this is depressing!!!!!!

Last edited:
Not quite correct. But the fish are certainly Federal. This is from DFO’s site.
British Columbia
A Supreme Court of Canada decision in 1984 (the Strait of Georgia Reference) held that, when British Columbia entered Confederation in 1871, the province consisted of all British territories, including dry land, coastal straits and submerged lands. Thus British Columbia owns the waters and submerged lands of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Strait of Georgia, Johnstone Strait and Queen Charlotte Strait and the waters and submerged lands between major headlands (bays, estuaries and fjords). This ownership includes natural resources — “the rocks and docks" and the marine resources — “flora and fauna" attached and all subsurface resources. As such, provincial laws apply to activities such as standing on a beach, sailing in a passage, mooring in a bay, building a marina/dock or raising oysters in the same way that those laws apply to activities on land.
I think its time to look at what Alaska does and look after residents first.

As much is this all sounds great and I hope the attitude remains. I can not help but wonder if this will hold true wen the Halibut regs get so bad it is no longer workable for businesses. Wen push comes to shove and it is down to buy into quota or remove Halibut from charter options, will we still be on a level playing field? Or will we see those with the resources leaving the non vested and smaller charter guys in the dust. Only to be able to fish Halibut if ya can afford to pay someone with quota to take you??

I very much fear that this is only a couple more short years away until we find out,

Personally, I can not believe we have sat and done little to nothing for most of the last decade to try to convince dfo to make a change to allocation and how they manage our resources. ITQ is stripping access from every one but the rich.
Question is how do we NOT be the parents and grandparents that have to tell the next generation we are sorry we sat on our asses instead of saving it for you?

Holy **** this is depressing!!!!!!
Who do you think would want to pay $12-15 a pound to catch Halibut?

Nobody i know!

For now Ling Cod and Salmon will be catchable under a sport license and that's what i will continue to target.

Who do you think would want to pay $12-15 a pound to catch Halibut?

Nobody i know!

For now Ling Cod and Salmon will be catchable under a sport license and that's what i will continue to target.

For now :(

Back