Halibut motion from Area 14 SFAC

Cuba Libre

Just got an email that the motion we presented to the SC SFAB was passed unanimously

One small step in the right direction..............but it isnt over yet.

THats amazing!

SO what the hell was all the other crap about it not being passed?

Funny how things like that get posted out of total ignorance or maybe just the need just to stir things up.The fact is that this motion wasn't even discussed yesterday. It was flagged this morning( Sunday) for further discussion, put back on the table at 12:50 this afternoon and voted on at about 12:53. Then it passed unanimously.
Dave

Repeat - what motion? Your post is a little cryptic for anyone not at said meeting. Must be interesting so let us all know. Tx.

Halibut Management Motion
Submitted by Area 14 SFAC
March, 2012
WHEREAS the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans has only increased the recreational Halibut Quota from 12% to 15% of the Canadian Total Allowable Catch of pacific halibut, and

WHEREAS this allocation is insufficient to allow a full (Feb1 – Dec 31) season fishery, with catch limits of 2 halibut per day and three in possession, and

WHEREAS the late announcement of the new allocation by the Minister has placed the Sport Fish Advisory Board in an untenable position of designing a management strategy in a short time frame for the 2112 recreational season that:

A) Included an untried management regime of one fish per day and 2 in possession with conditions that one fish could be any size, but the second fish must be under 83cm or 15lbs in the round in order to stay within the assigned 2112 TAC, and
B) Did not allow for consultation with the local SFACs for their input:

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED the Department of Fisheries and Oceans be asked to consider this year’s regulatory measures as EXPERIMENTAL and that discussions re various additional options available at certain levels of TAC for 2013 start taking place with the SFAB Halibut Working Group in a timely manner such that the local SFACs have adequate consultation and input into the 2013 recreational halibut management plan.

Basically the way i read it is that We are only using this slot as experiemental because you backed us into a corner with very short time frame and this is NOT the status quo going foward. Also that in the future you give us some more time so that Process of SFAC/SFAB can be used as intended with proper input and discussion with everyone.

Here is the link to the thread from yesterday

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?18805-Courtenay-Comox-SFAC-meeting/page5

Hopefully someone at the table today told him to stop piping off and making them look bad.

Great motion Brian and im super stoked that it passed. This I hope shows to most that the SFAB as a whole has the right attitude and is on our side, even if there are some wolves in sheeps clothing amonst the ranks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halibut Management Motion
Submitted by Area 14 SFAC
March, 2012
WHEREAS the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans has only increased the recreational Halibut Quota from 12% to 15% of the Canadian Total Allowable Catch of pacific halibut, and

WHEREAS this allocation is insufficient to allow a full (Feb1 – Dec 31) season fishery, with catch limits of 2 halibut per day and three in possession, and

WHEREAS the late announcement of the new allocation by the Minister has placed the Sport Fish Advisory Board in an untenable position of designing a management strategy in a short time frame for the 2112 recreational season that:

A) Included an untried management regime of one fish per day and 2 in possession with conditions that one fish could be any size, but the second fish must be under 83cm or 15lbs in the round in order to stay within the assigned 2112 TAC, and
B) Did not allow for consultation with the local SFACs for their input:

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED the Department of Fisheries and Oceans be asked to consider this year’s regulatory measures as EXPERIMENTAL and that discussions re various additional options available at certain levels of TAC for 2013 start taking place with the SFAB Halibut Working Group in a timely manner such that the local SFACs have adequate consultation and input into the 2013 recreational halibut management plan.

Basically the way i read it is that We are only using this slot as experiemental because you backed us into a corner with very short time frame and this is NOT the status quo going foward. Also that in the future you give us some more time so that Process of SFAC/SFAB can be used as intended with proper input and discussion with everyone.

Here is the link to the thread from yesterday

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?18805-Courtenay-Comox-SFAC-meeting/page5

Hopefully someone at the table today told him to stop piping off and making them look bad.

Great motion Brian and im super stoked that it passed. This I hope shows to most that the SFAB as a whole has the right attitude and is on our side, even if there are some wolves in sheeps clothing amonst the ranks.

This is great news Lorne! What are the next steps from here?

I would think that the SFAB Halibut Working Group would have to come up with a set of tables based on what IPHC Canadian TAC number could be for 2013. There would have to be different choices for keeping with in our TAC. HWG would give us there pick and the reason they want it.

Local SFAC's would then vote on their pick so the SFAB knew what we wanted.
It would then be up to SFAB main board to make the decision.

That pretty much nails it. No guarantees, but hopefully more people will get a say

Thanks Brian, I was clearly wrong regarding the halibut issue and as such I do owe you a sincere apology. I believed the issue was dead because the earlier motion passing the slot limit was well over 3 weeks ago and decided the direction we would follow. Bottom line is your motion passed and I will support it to the best of my ability. The process is more important and valuable than any one persons personal views.

Time now, I hope for us all to move forward. The real challenge in implementing your motion will be if DFO is once again late getting us the TAC announcement. Should that happen again, it could delay the start of the season while we work through the full meeting process at the different levels. This would be a disaster for the Victoria area guys who depend on the March/April fishery that could be delayed as a result. The potential solution to that would be to work with DFO to secure an early announcement to provide us the time to engage. I would hope we will all work towards getting an early announcement to provide adequate time to reach a decision that does not result in a delayed start to the season.

Next year will be yet another set of challenges not just for Halibut, but also for Chinook which could be as challenging as Halibut was this year.

I would think that the SFAB Halibut Working Group would have to come up with a set of tables based on what IPHC Canadian TAC number could be for 2013. There would have to be different choices for keeping with in our TAC. HWG would give us there pick and the reason they want it.

THat sounds like hows it suppoosed to work! And i like it!

Lorne

There is a 25 page document that had ALL the options to consider for this halibut season. It included annual limits (5), preventing the gifting of halibut from guides and lodges , opening the season May 1st and MANY MANY other options.

It is called "Draft Regulatory Tools for Recreational Halibut Management"
February 2012"

"The potential regulatory tools explored in this paper include:
-Maximum size limits
-Daily catch and possession limits
-Annual limits
-Season length
-Gifted halibut limits
-Time and/or Area closures without allocations
-Area allocations"

From what I understand Canada will not get any more TAC next year than this year. Maybe discussions should be starting now for next year based on this document.

Lorne why dont ya put that in English for us Part Time Guides?? From what Im reading here the last decision from DFO about the Size limits is now under review until furthur notice?? Or are we still going Status Quo until some one makes another anouncement?? Commercial and FN must love this Sportsfishing working against Sportsfishing. Or should I say not Communicating?? Really helps our situation greatly Im sure.

Duff:
The rule for 2012 is 1 and two with one of the two being under 83cm.That has not changed.

All the motion is asking is that A-DFO treat it as an experimental rule allowing for review and possible change for future years.
and B-that a commitment is made to do things in a timely manner as to allow adequate time to put things through the proper SFAC/SFAB processes as it is designed.

Cheers Ray

Lorne why dont ya put that in English for us Part Time Guides?? From what Im reading here the last decision from DFO about the Size limits is now under review until furthur notice?? Or are we still going Status Quo until some one makes another anouncement?? Commercial and FN must love this Sportsfishing working against Sportsfishing. Or should I say not Communicating?? Really helps our situation greatly Im sure.

Just curious why the SFAB doesn't run the list of options through the IPHC. Would it not be prudent to have some science behind any recommendations coming forward?

Just curious why the SFAB doesn't run the list of options through the IPHC. Would it not be prudent to have some science behind any recommendations coming forward?

No Reason to run through IPHC, they give us our TAC.
Us Canadians will get our halibut BACK into the hands of ALL citizens of this country : )

No Reason to run through IPHC, they give us our TAC.
Us Canadians will get our halibut BACK into the hands of ALL citizens of this country : )

I just assumed since they are the leading group on halibut research that it would make sense. I also noted this year at the IPHC meetings that Alaska asks for the IPHC's input on evaluating any rule changes for all users.

If not IPHC maybe someone else. Would it still not be prudent to scientifically evalutate options? I see little point in putting options forward with no evaluation or the possible impacts on fishers or the resource.

Reading your reply it is sad that you still take the stance of us against them.

You obviously have no idea who represents the recreational side and what their qualifications are...... remember- it was with a united front that Canada got our proposed TAC increased by the Canadian reps-- including the sport reps who are very well versed in biology and statistics. (But I suppose, if you know as much as you would have us believe, then you already know that. Therefore this is just another troll of the many you have put forward)

Back