Halibut "Experimental" program waste of DFO money,

T

tofinofish

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0272-Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Community Information Sessions

A new recreational experimental fishery program was announced in 2011 for
interested recreational stakeholders that will allow them to lease quota from
commercial harvesters. This experimental program will provide access to halibut
beyond the limits of the standard recreational license as well as the
opportunity to continue fishing if the standard recreational fishery were to
close early, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for
business planning purposes.

Community information sessions will provide information and program details for
individuals interested in participating in the halibut experimental
recreational fishery and discuss plans for the long-term implementation of the
program.

Monday, April 16th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Ucluelet Community Centre
500 Matterson Drive, Ucluelet, B.C.

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
B.C. Marine Heritage Centre
621 North Island Highway, Campbell River, B.C.

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Port Hardy Civic Centre
7450 Columbia Street, Port Hardy, B.C.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour Hotel
728 Humboldt Street, Victoria, B.C.

Monday, April 30th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Queen Charlotte Community Centre
134 Bay, Queen Charlotte, B.C.

Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Highliner Hotel
815 1 Avenue West, Prince Rupert, B.C.

For further information and to RSVP
Please email: groundfishin@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Or call: 604-666-0912

My quick response to the e-mail address at the bottom, as well as DFO Rec Fishing reps, SFI of BC, DR. Lunney MP and my local Chamber of Commerce.

"In my opinion, 6 Community sessions to push this flawed and unwanted “experimental” system is an absolutely ludicrous waste of Financial Resources within DFO, resources that should be used for proven needs on the coast. Remember Habitat, Salmon Enhancement, Enforcement?? The areas where DFO budgets keep getting slashed.....very sad and almost unbelievable.

Dr. Lunney, myself and many other Recreational Anglers in your constituency will be awaiting your thoughts on this. Your response and support is appreciated."

Regards,

J. Mohl - Owner
Clayoquot Ventures - Tofino Fishing
Clayoquot Vista Guesthouse
Tofino Fly & Tackle

Almost Funny that the Troops On the Ground amongst DFO well understand this program is going NO-WHERE, but the Office Bound we never ever see are in full blown "Proponent Mode". Almost funny...

Sad Actually...
2.gif

Nog

Almost Funny that the Troops On the Ground amongst DFO well understand this program is going NO-WHERE, but the Office Bound we never ever see are in full blown "Proponent Mode". Almost funny...

Sad Actually...
2.gif

Nog

Right you are Nog!! The left hand isn't listening to the right....It will sting even more when we learn where further Budget cuts are going to land. I would imagine the cost of this farce will become transparent soon, but not soon enough.

Wondering how much quota I get out of the 15% with buying my licence? just need to know so I can keep track so I don't go over. Going to be tough to divide it up between all of us licence holders. They figured it out for the slipper skippers though.

These meetings are going to interesting. Would like to know how much money will be spent on this bull$hit. Most likely enough to buy us more quota that's for sure.

Halibut management, and DFO managers

Halibut 2012 Quotas recreational

This is a reply to the concern for recent halibut issues and management test projects by dfo. You guys, all you need to do is look at the track record of the managers who you are dealing with. Look into who is making the decisions and calls on these test projects. When you call the info lines for these meetings, you are talking to the Manager who makes these calls. If they forward it to someone else, there is a very good chance that they work closely with that person. If you look into how much experience these managers actually have dealing with fisheries, nevermind Saltwater fisheries, nevermind halibut, you will find that they have NO real applicable practical experience in fisheries management.

One other huge point here is, that almost all of the DFO FIsheries managers you deal with are Not Biologists. They are usually some technician from a hatchery without any formal education who has worked their way up through the system. This is the truth, all you need to do is look into it. Also there is something called ATIP (Access to Information and Privacy). This is how you find out DFO information when you get the run around from our local managers. You will end up talking to someone in Ottawa, and from my experience they are very friendly and helpful in getting you information about Pacific Coast. Trust me, you can get what you need there.

This Halibut recreational quota system is wrong. The little local non-aboriginal fisherman from Zabellos, Port Renfrew, Port Hardy with one hook on a line.. who wants to go out in his aluminum boat to catch his family a halibut to eat during the winter can't do it anymore because the lodges catch up the recreational quoats in the summertime. If you're First nations then it doesn't matter, you can go out whenever you like with lots of hooks and rope. Thats not the issue, the issue is very bad decisions and management. First Nations get access to Food with little to no restrictions, whereas community subsistence fishers are pooled into 'recreational' with no access as a local subsistence user.

So, First Nations continue to have first priority to Halibut because of their constitutional right to food social and ceremonial fishies. Thats fine and dandy. But the rest of Canadians are being treated like commercial fishers now. Having to buy extra quotas before we know what our food needs will be during the winter.

One other thing, if we are talking about subsistence fishing. It takes quite a few trips for non-aboriginal 'Joe' to go out in his aluminum boat with his one rod and his one hook, to catch his family a few feeds of fish.

Anyways thats my first contribution to a thread. Seriously if you look into who is making these projects and calls, it is a dangerous situation. You are dealing with inexperienced policy kids. And thats somewhat literal as well. The managers you deal with are much of the time not only inexperienced, but also very young. They are affecting families all along the coast who aren't aboriginal. All the non-profits and funding organizations tend to do their research and work based on commercial or aboriginal goals because thats where funding is available. When it comes to the non-aboriginal subsistence fisher, you're out of luck with your one hook, one line and sinker in the summertime.

When you talk about "troops on the ground" You do realize there are different branches of DFO and they generally dont communicate with each other regularly:
1. Enforcement (C&P)- your usual enforcement guys and gals
2. Stock Assessment- generally field based with biologists
3. Fisheries Management - decision makers lacking any real skills but these are the contacts for your issues
4. Habitat - deal with instream works etc..
- and then theres 'Oceans' and SARA which dont really amount to much

Sad Actually...
2.gif

Nog

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0272-Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Community Information Sessions

Community information sessions will provide information and program details for
individuals interested in participating in the halibut experimental
recreational fishery and discuss plans for the long-term implementation of the
program.
Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
B.C. Marine Heritage Centre
621 North Island Highway, Campbell River, B.C.
Car pool from Comox Valley anyone?
I would like to discuss how to make a long-term implementation end this year.
Like quit wasting my tax money on your halibut ponzie scheme.
These fish are the Canadian Publics not yours and your slipper skippers.
GLG

Im in forsure gil! I got room for a few more.

Whos going to be at the one in Uculet? I am hoping all you WCVI guides are gonna be there rasing a big stink!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whos going to he one in Uculet? I am hoping all you WCVI guides are gonna be there rasing a big stink!!

I'll be most likely wandering by just long enough they are Absolutely Certain of exactly where I stand.
Then firing up the Big Red Rig and wandering towards Nootka. Thought I'd likely miss this opportunity, but there are times The Fates actually work with you... :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

I'll be most likely wandering by just long enough they are Absolutely Certain of exactly where I stand.
Then firing up the Big Red Rig and wandering towards Nootka. Thought I'd likely miss this opportunity, but there are times The Fates actually work with you... :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Thata boy matt! Bring the posse!!

Lorne

Thought I'd likely miss this opportunity, but there are times The Fates actually work with you... :cool:

Or NOT! :(
Storm Warnings up and down the coast. Looks like we'll be hunkering down until that passes later in the week. As much as I'd like to, I simply can't justify running to Ukee just to show at their little Dog & Pony Act. Hope someone else is able to deliver the message...

well im out here in port eliza inlet at the lodge, stop by if ya want or need to, channel 6....cheers and be safe out there...and good luck...holmes*

Hopefully we won't have the time Holmesy, but weather being weather we just may. I'll give you a shout when In Country...

Cheers,
Nog

I sure hope some of the members of this board will show and be counted.
I will be at the one in CR on Tuesday with LP and others.
Time to step up.
GLG

I'll be in the one in Victoria.

We are leaving in 30mins. Will post up tonight.

Be interesting to see if any of the guys living and working out on WCVI went yesterday though..

I'm at the meeting right now. Just about to start. There are 12ish people here including myself.

Apperntly there was 4 people total at the meeting uculet. Thats unreal, considering.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Message sent to DFO...... Quit wasting our tax money on this program.....
I think they (DFO) got it loud and clear.......
GLG

Back