HALIBUT CLOSURE

I cant find anything on DFO's website. are they only going to announce it on the day that they close it?

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0899-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut Fishing Closure - September 6, 2017

The Department has reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates for the
recreational halibut fishery with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board during this
year’s fishing season.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable
Catch for halibut will be achieved by early September.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut under the BC Tidal Waters Sport
Fishing Licence will close effective 23:59 hours September 6, 2017 for the
balance of the year.

An experimental licence program is available that provides an opportunity for
recreational harvesters to retain halibut beyond the halibut fishery closure
date under the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence by acquiring halibut quota
from the commercial fishery.

More information is available on the DFO website:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut- fletan/2015/presentation-en.html.

Management actions for the 2018 halibut fishery will be developed this fall and
announcements will be made in early 2018.

Variation Order 2017-445 and 2017-446

"An experimental licence program is available that provides an opportunity for
from the commercial fishery. "

The above quote is truely the problem
As long as your allow a transfer mechanism between recreational and commercial...they won't give us any more TAC

DFO says the access to more fish is there
You just have to pay a commercial guy for it.

The only way to change any of this is politically
And it's about time we make a stand
I can only go to so many meetings and get some many vague answers and promises
This halibut closure is what I hope breaks the camels back per say and allows people to stand up and take a firm stand for the general public to access a resource that has no business being controlled by a certain few.

I'm just as busy as the next guy...even busier but if anyone wants to start drafting letters and setting up political stands....I will be in...

Last edited:
Category(s):

Subject: FN0899-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut Fishing Closure - September 6, 2017

year’s fishing season.

balance of the year.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut- fletan/2015/presentation-en.html.

Ugh,that is so frustrating, I was on the website
http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sa...939335b1a-5CA0624C-C6F2-B29F-13EEBE78300FF4EC
Did the search, and there was nothing there. I go there now do the same search and there it is. Do they work after 4pm on a holiday weekend?
Thanks for the details Spring fever.

ugg guess i'll cancel my trip with murphy's. Thanks for the heads up, Second trip of the year I've cancelled, Last one was because of shity salmon reports, now I book Halie and this happens. Next year I won't even bother going to the island good enough fishing in vancouver.

Experimental is becoming permanent, here is snipbit from Andrew Thomson, regional director for DFO here in BC, from when I emailed Minister Leblanc over 10 times in 10 days regarding giving rec anglers more than 15%. From the tone of the email I feel it has become abundantly clear unless we ACTUALLY start protesting, ie, things like boat barracades of Vic harbour etc, we will not get more than 15%. I'm in for helping get these things set up as well...

"Dear Mr.Summers:

Thank you for your correspondence of February 16, 2017, addressed to the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, regarding the recreational share of the Total Allowable Catch (TAC) for halibut. I have been asked to respond on the Minister’s behalf, and I regret the delay.

I assure you that Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) understands the importance of the halibut fishery to communities and businesses like yours.

The Pacific halibut fishery faces several challenges, including a strong interest in the resource, a diverse spectrum of harvesters, and varying abundance of halibut. DFO allocates access to British Columbia’s halibut fishery through an integrated fisheries management planning process that considers and incorporates several factors in its allocation decisions. These factors include recreational, commercial, and First Nations’ interests, legal requirements, treaty agreements, and Aboriginal rights, and the equitable use of the resource. In all cases, DFO’s first priority is to manage fisheries in a manner that ensures the conservation and sustainable use of fish stocks while creating economic and social benefits for Canadians.

DFO works closely with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) each year to ensure that the recreational fishery remains open for the longest possible season while staying within its allocation. The 2017 halibut limits are based on the SFAB’s recommendations and are outlined on DFO’s Halibut Fishing in BC website. I am happy to report that due to an increase in Canada’s halibut TAC from 7.3 million pounds in 2016 to 7.45 million pounds in 2017, the allocation to the recreational fishery in 2017 is slightly larger than it was in 2016. Furthermore, the recreational halibut fishery management measures that were in place for 2016 have not been changed for the 2017 fishing season.

DFO has also implemented a halibut experimental recreational fishery program, which provides interested anglers and businesses additional fishing opportunities by allowing for the acquisition of halibut quota from the commercial sector for use in the recreational fishery. This program offers stability for the recreational fishing economy and those coastal communities that benefit from angler contributions. DFO is working on a regulatory change to implement this experimental fishery for the long term.

Thank you for writing to the Minister. I hope this information is helpful."

DFO has also implemented a halibut experimental recreational fishery program, which provides interested anglers and businesses additional fishing opportunities by allowing for the acquisition of halibut quota from the commercial sector for use in the recreational fishery. This program offers stability for the recreational fishing economy and those coastal communities that benefit from angler contributions. DFO is working on a regulatory change to implement this experimental fishery for the long term.

I personally don't find anything fun about dragging a brick up from the sea. I like the meat and when I saw there was an opportunity to go Halibut fishing and walk away in meat, what it cost for the guide made going worth it. Somehow I don't think the commies selling Quota is going to make that a possibility any more. I guess I will have to try to book early in the year next year.

Thanks buddy!

Is there an actual notice anywhere?
Yes I posted it last night on this thread.
Category(s):

year’s fishing season.

balance of the year.

September 5, 2017

We hope you had an opportunity to enjoy the unofficial end of summer this past weekend. As many get their kids back to school, get back to work or start to look towards fall plans, we wanted to touch on a few of the important issues that have emerged through the summer and that will have impacts for the coming year. It is already clear that the SFI team will be busy as ever this fall and winter and will be working hard to protect and promote opportunities for sport fishing in BC.

Halibut 2017

DFO has closed recreational halibut fishing for the 2017 season, as detailed in DFO fisheries notice, link here, issued September 4th for the closure at 23:59 on September 6th. As many of you know, our halibut fisheries are managed differently than other species of finfish recreational anglers harvest. To provide some context for comments to follow, we provide a few details regarding the recreational halibut fishery in BC. Since 2012, the recreational sector has been provided opportunity to harvest 15% of Canada’s negotiated annual Total Allowable Catch (TAC). 15% was established based on pressure from the recreational sector to increase the allocation percentage shared with commercial fisherman from an arbitrarily set 12% in 2007. The recreational sector spent a lot of time and energy to have DFO recognize the public’s right to reasonable access to a public resource, establish a viable allocation framework that would provide stable, predictable year-round opportunities for anglers and sustainable economic benefits for those who are employed in the public fishery and for the coast. DFO’s response was to increase the allocation from 12% to 15% in 2012. This was and continues to be inadequate to achieve the goal of maximizing the social and economic benefits created by what is clearly the most valuable use of the resource.

The present formula provides 15% to recreational anglers and 85% of Canada’s halibut TAC to 435 commercial quota holders, many of whom don’t fish halibut themselves but lease the quota that they own and received for free. From the moment that the recreational halibut allocation was set it was clear that it was not adequate to allow for a reliable and full season for recreational anglers based on historic, and reasonable bag and possession limits. To salvage opportunity, management measures were proposed by the SFAB Halibut working group to slow harvest in order to provide for a reliable and full season. Those measures recommended included reducing the daily bag and possession limits, the size of halibut retained, and implementing an annual limit. Sizes have been adjusted over the years in an attempt to maximize opportunity and to ensure a full season. While this has been successful, it resulted in the recreational sector leaving over 500,000 lbs. of uncaught halibut in the water over the last few years.

As it is every year, the 2017 TAC was set in February at the International Pacific Halibut Commission meetings. Halibut are a well managed species, and catch numbers on the Pacific coast are well understood. Halibut stocks appear to be healthy in BC waters, and, as a result, Canada enjoyed a slight increase in its annual TAC in 2016 and 2017. This should mean an increase in halibut available to recreational anglers or at least the same opportunity they had the year before, right? Not so fast, although the management measures that were put in place in 2012 and adjusted each year since have left over a half million pounds of halibut in the water, there have been changes and additions made to how recreational catch is estimated. Because of this, in 2017 DFO has chosen to close the fishery with only partial information and at a time when if there had been a significant overage, it has already occurred. Post Labour Day recreational catch of halibut is much lower than the busy summer months due to work and school schedules and because of changing weather. While it is understood that DFO must forecast estimates based on previous years and trends in season, DFO staff has explained that of the 2017 forecast scenarios modelled, one projected 15,000 lbs. under our TAC by the end of August, others were over the recreational TAC and, the worst scenario, which includes unaddressed data anomalies and inconsistencies, showed an overage of 100,000 lbs. by the end of December. Considering the 2017 Canadian TAC is over 7.45 million lbs. and the recreational fishery has saved over 500,000 lbs. in the last several years, a closure based on projected overages that ranged from 15,000 lbs. under the recreational TAC to a flawed, worst-case estimate of 100,000 lbs. over (8.5% over the recreational TAC or 1.4% over Canada’s TAC if all halibut were harvested in 2017), shows an incredible lack of consideration of all factors involved, and complete disregard for the importance of the recreational fishery to small coastal communities from Prince Rupert to Sooke. The impact to small business, communities, and individuals is more damaging than any potential overage. It is also important to note that the commercial sector, as of August 29th, had 2.45 million pounds of quota in the water and SE Alaska charter fisheries will regularly surpass their TAC allowances by 200K to 300K pounds. To be clear, we are not trying to suggest that consistent overages of this scale are acceptable, but what these numbers do illustrate is the IPHC context under which we negotiate the TAC, and that the State of Alaska has a much greater appreciation for the stability of the significant number of middle class jobs created by the fishery in its jurisdiction than does the government of Canada. Alaska seems willing and able to balance the negligible political and insignificant conservation risks associated with maintaining the fishery and with the devastating and long term social and economic impacts associated with an in-season closure. Clearly, our government isn’t.

It is with these best guess predictions and the background of the details above, that DFO has chosen to close recreational halibut fishing. It is a damaging and costly example of how commercially biased DFO is and how inconsiderate they are of the needs of the recreational sector. The implications of the closure extend well beyond the end of 2017 and will potentially impact opportunities for small communities and business for years to come. Visitors planning trips in the fall will be, once again, reluctant or will decline booking when opportunity is uncertain.

It is important to note that we are not talking about any kind of a conservation related issue here, this is strictly about a flawed and biased allocation policy, and the stubborn insistence of DFO to choose an overly conservative approach to management of the recreational fishery despite different approaches taken by other jurisdictions in the Pacific Northwest, and the flawed data assumptions regarding 2016 and 2017 catch in the recreational fleet. As previously mentioned, halibut in BC waters are not in a state of conservation concern, the stock is in an increasing cycle, and average sizes of halibut are increasing. The conservation risk of keeping the recreational fishery open with the realistic potential of being over our TAC by even 9% is virtually incalculable, and falls within the margin of error in any data sets used. The impact to small business and middle-class jobs in coastal communities in BC will be harsh, and long term. This isn’t science based or even evidence based decision making, this is all about allocation politics, and the desire to have bureaucrats feel good about being able to say, “we are under our TAC” – regardless of the cost to our citizens!

Unfortunately, this ill-considered decision will undoubtedly reignite the allocation debate and discussion; how is it that DFO can allow 435 quota holders (many of whom received their quota for free because they fished halibut in the early 1990’s) to possess 85% of halibut in the water? Most quota holders don’t fish, they lease to commercial fisherman who must sell halibut to the highest bidder (which means more than 70% of commercially caught BC halibut is exported) to make profit themselves. The 300,000 recreational anglers with access to just 15% of halibut, keep more than $600 million of annual spending in our province, yet its fishery is forced to close due to a potential overage so small it is difficult to measure accurately.

While the argument to secure additional quota for the recreational sector had been dormant for many years, this decision by DFO is clearly a call to action for our sector. It is unfair and discriminatory to recreational anglers and the public that DFO is now making a decision that has no impact on conservation of halibut yet needlessly affects small businesses, communities, individual livelihoods and rights to public property.

So correct me if im wrong but were we not allotted 20% a few years ago ? what happened to that number?
I find it VERY hard to believe over the last few years we were under without allowing to carry it over like uuummm other user groups.
As we all know when salmon runs appear so do alot of dog fish .... hence why i personally dont like to fish for halibut in summer months.

Again we are getting shafted and we need to look ahead and work towards more allocation and work together, stop the infighting among us all...
Good luck wolf

September 5, 2017

We hope you had an opportunity to enjoy the unofficial end of summer this past weekend. As many get their kids back to school, get back to work or start to look towards fall plans, we wanted to touch on a few of the important issues that have emerged through the summer and that will have impacts for the coming year. It is already clear that the SFI team will be busy as ever this fall and winter and will be working hard to protect and promote opportunities for sport fishing in BC.

Halibut 2017

DFO has closed recreational halibut fishing for the 2017 season, as detailed in DFO fisheries notice, link here, issued September 4th for the closure at 23:59 on September 6th. As many of you know, our halibut fisheries are managed differently than other species of finfish recreational anglers harvest. To provide some context for comments to follow, we provide a few details regarding the recreational halibut fishery in BC. Since 2012, the recreational sector has been provided opportunity to harvest 15% of Canada’s negotiated annual Total Allowable Catch (TAC). 15% was established based on pressure from the recreational sector to increase the allocation percentage shared with commercial fisherman from an arbitrarily set 12% in 2007. The recreational sector spent a lot of time and energy to have DFO recognize the public’s right to reasonable access to a public resource, establish a viable allocation framework that would provide stable, predictable year-round opportunities for anglers and sustainable economic benefits for those who are employed in the public fishery and for the coast. DFO’s response was to increase the allocation from 12% to 15% in 2012. This was and continues to be inadequate to achieve the goal of maximizing the social and economic benefits created by what is clearly the most valuable use of the resource.

The present formula provides 15% to recreational anglers and 85% of Canada’s halibut TAC to 435 commercial quota holders, many of whom don’t fish halibut themselves but lease the quota that they own and received for free. From the moment that the recreational halibut allocation was set it was clear that it was not adequate to allow for a reliable and full season for recreational anglers based on historic, and reasonable bag and possession limits. To salvage opportunity, management measures were proposed by the SFAB Halibut working group to slow harvest in order to provide for a reliable and full season. Those measures recommended included reducing the daily bag and possession limits, the size of halibut retained, and implementing an annual limit. Sizes have been adjusted over the years in an attempt to maximize opportunity and to ensure a full season. While this has been successful, it resulted in the recreational sector leaving over 500,000 lbs. of uncaught halibut in the water over the last few years.

As it is every year, the 2017 TAC was set in February at the International Pacific Halibut Commission meetings. Halibut are a well managed species, and catch numbers on the Pacific coast are well understood. Halibut stocks appear to be healthy in BC waters, and, as a result, Canada enjoyed a slight increase in its annual TAC in 2016 and 2017. This should mean an increase in halibut available to recreational anglers or at least the same opportunity they had the year before, right? Not so fast, although the management measures that were put in place in 2012 and adjusted each year since have left over a half million pounds of halibut in the water, there have been changes and additions made to how recreational catch is estimated. Because of this, in 2017 DFO has chosen to close the fishery with only partial information and at a time when if there had been a significant overage, it has already occurred. Post Labour Day recreational catch of halibut is much lower than the busy summer months due to work and school schedules and because of changing weather. While it is understood that DFO must forecast estimates based on previous years and trends in season, DFO staff has explained that of the 2017 forecast scenarios modelled, one projected 15,000 lbs. under our TAC by the end of August, others were over the recreational TAC and, the worst scenario, which includes unaddressed data anomalies and inconsistencies, showed an overage of 100,000 lbs. by the end of December. Considering the 2017 Canadian TAC is over 7.45 million lbs. and the recreational fishery has saved over 500,000 lbs. in the last several years, a closure based on projected overages that ranged from 15,000 lbs. under the recreational TAC to a flawed, worst-case estimate of 100,000 lbs. over (8.5% over the recreational TAC or 1.4% over Canada’s TAC if all halibut were harvested in 2017), shows an incredible lack of consideration of all factors involved, and complete disregard for the importance of the recreational fishery to small coastal communities from Prince Rupert to Sooke. The impact to small business, communities, and individuals is more damaging than any potential overage. It is also important to note that the commercial sector, as of August 29th, had 2.45 million pounds of quota in the water and SE Alaska charter fisheries will regularly surpass their TAC allowances by 200K to 300K pounds. To be clear, we are not trying to suggest that consistent overages of this scale are acceptable, but what these numbers do illustrate is the IPHC context under which we negotiate the TAC, and that the State of Alaska has a much greater appreciation for the stability of the significant number of middle class jobs created by the fishery in its jurisdiction than does the government of Canada. Alaska seems willing and able to balance the negligible political and insignificant conservation risks associated with maintaining the fishery and with the devastating and long term social and economic impacts associated with an in-season closure. Clearly, our government isn’t.

It is with these best guess predictions and the background of the details above, that DFO has chosen to close recreational halibut fishing. It is a damaging and costly example of how commercially biased DFO is and how inconsiderate they are of the needs of the recreational sector. The implications of the closure extend well beyond the end of 2017 and will potentially impact opportunities for small communities and business for years to come. Visitors planning trips in the fall will be, once again, reluctant or will decline booking when opportunity is uncertain.

It is important to note that we are not talking about any kind of a conservation related issue here, this is strictly about a flawed and biased allocation policy, and the stubborn insistence of DFO to choose an overly conservative approach to management of the recreational fishery despite different approaches taken by other jurisdictions in the Pacific Northwest, and the flawed data assumptions regarding 2016 and 2017 catch in the recreational fleet. As previously mentioned, halibut in BC waters are not in a state of conservation concern, the stock is in an increasing cycle, and average sizes of halibut are increasing. The conservation risk of keeping the recreational fishery open with the realistic potential of being over our TAC by even 9% is virtually incalculable, and falls within the margin of error in any data sets used. The impact to small business and middle-class jobs in coastal communities in BC will be harsh, and long term. This isn’t science based or even evidence based decision making, this is all about allocation politics, and the desire to have bureaucrats feel good about being able to say, “we are under our TAC” – regardless of the cost to our citizens!

Unfortunately, this ill-considered decision will undoubtedly reignite the allocation debate and discussion; how is it that DFO can allow 435 quota holders (many of whom received their quota for free because they fished halibut in the early 1990’s) to possess 85% of halibut in the water? Most quota holders don’t fish, they lease to commercial fisherman who must sell halibut to the highest bidder (which means more than 70% of commercially caught BC halibut is exported) to make profit themselves. The 300,000 recreational anglers with access to just 15% of halibut, keep more than $600 million of annual spending in our province, yet its fishery is forced to close due to a potential overage so small it is difficult to measure accurately.

While the argument to secure additional quota for the recreational sector had been dormant for many years, this decision by DFO is clearly a call to action for our sector. It is unfair and discriminatory to recreational anglers and the public that DFO is now making a decision that has no impact on conservation of halibut yet needlessly affects small businesses, communities, individual livelihoods and rights to public property.
Very well put and factual!!

Experimental Licence Program

You may note that there are details in the DFO notice referring to an experimental licence program (XRQ). The XRQ purports to provide an opportunity for recreational harvesters to retain halibut beyond the halibut fishery closure date under the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence by acquiring halibut quota from the commercial fishery. While this may seem like a tempting option, particularly for businesses and individuals that would like to harvest halibut during the fall months, it is another example of how DFO does not understand the importance of expectation, opportunity, and stability for the recreational sector.

The XRQ is reprehensible in that it serves to drive a wedge between the angling public, whom have a right of access to a public property resource, and opportunists who, many without understanding the implications, are willing to pay to lease an opportunity for something that should be free. The net result is a two-tiered system of access to a common property resource. We feel this flies in the face of the ethics and of our sport in that it places a value per pound on halibut and thereby commercializes the activity. It also sets a dangerous precedent for expansion to other species and fisheries. The lack of enforcement and tracking of catch in this program is unacceptable and has created a significant loop hole for those who would exploit the resource illegally for their own personal gain. Our fisheries are a public property resources and should be available to one and all, the experimental licence plays into the idea that halibut swimming in the ocean can be owned at the exclusion of others. Bottom line, avoid the experimental licence and encourage others to as well The XRQ is not a solution to our current problem. Whether it is through increasing our allocation or allowing a reasonable degree of flexibility over time in terms of fishing under our TAC, something significant needs to change to provide the certainty and stability in the fishery that DFO claims is a goal of its management practices.

As mentioned at the outset, the SFI will be busy this off season working on a variety of issues including halibut allocation and will continue to strive for reliable opportunities and a full season. We also encourage you to register your concerns with DFO at whichever level you would like. If feedback can be provided to all levels of DFO and to local MLA’s or MP’s perhaps we can convince DFO to finally make changes that are needed and overdue.

Fraser River Opportunities and Fish FarmsWhile the halibut closure is bad enough, unfortunately, we find that there are other threats to opportunity and resources;

Fraser River Opportunities
We note that the Fraser Valley Sportfishing Alliance held a demonstration fishery over the weekend to show that selective fishing techniques are effective to entirely avoid a species of concern. It is our hope that there will be meaningful dialogue with all stakeholders and DFO this off season to develop a strategy to permit selective opportunity for one species when there are other species in river that must be conserved.

Fish Farms
The recent escape of hundreds of thousands of Atlantic salmon from a net pen in the Juan de Fuca Strait and their appearance as far north and west as Tofino will have unknown impacts on our waters and wild fish. And, although this accident happened across the border it should be used as powerful example of why fish farms in our waters must follow precautionary principles and move to land based facilities or to closed containment. While it is understood that there is considerable expense in adaptation to closed containment, the risk and potential cost to our environment and our wild salmon stocks is far greater. It is encouraging that DFO and the Federal Government have invested nearly 3 billion dollars to our oceans, fisheries management, and infrastructure. Perhaps a portion of that should be directed towards capital investment in fish farms so the move to closed containment can be expedited. The risks and uncertainty to our wild salmon stocks and environment are too great to simply wait and see. The escape south of the border should serve as a real reminder of this.

Share and voice your opinion

We encourage you to let your opinion be known on this and the issues in this update now and often – please feel free to send us comments, we’ll collect and forward feedback received or better yet, write directly to your local MP, MLA or DFO official.

Until Next time – tight lines

The SFI Team

Check out the FishingBC app on IOS and watch for the Android version available soon!

Sorry to see it close so early as we were looking forward to a fall fishery.
I can honestly say my boat did not contribute to the early closure this year,
:(

Back