Halibut Closed Until Further Notice

Originally posted by The Fog Ducker
When we all get on the same Fricken page , maybe we can do something about it !!

Here Here...........

And F D. The signature offer always stands, two weeks, two years, who cares, if it happens count me in.
I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

Thanks guys for staying positive. All the speculation isn't helping matters, and in the end no amount of petitions or protests will change the decisions that are being made. We will hear soon enough.

FD I would be more than interested but and this is a big but as long as some people on here really want to stand up and do something and not put blame on charters and guides, like you said we need to unite to solve this as I have stated many many many times on here before but I need to always defend our livelyhood as charters and quides it seems like an uphill battle.

For instance the SFAB meeting there was close to 50 to 60 guides/charters and only about 6 or 7 sporties and yet we get slammed later on for what tailspin and I say how is that fair.

Ok now for the positive if this season does close down I think we need to go out march 1 as you already know feb 1 it will be closed just like last year.
And all go out to our own hot spots and fish away for halibut in a protest fishery get every news station involved it would go national then see what sparks we create. then everywhere DFO would have to take notice.

Balls in your court!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Count me in for Mar 1st For this to be effective from a media perspective we will need to concentrate our efforts and fish in ony 2 or 3 areas.

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

Count me in for Mar 1st For this to be effective from a media perspective we will need to concentrate our efforts and fish in ony 2 or 3 areas.

I'd say we have to fish in one area only.(south island anyway)
Strength in numbers...they can't arrest us all ;)
also it would not impress the media unless they saw dozens
of boats in defiance.

we should do something like that,but protesting the salmon farms and getting them onto land.

YEE-HA... REVOLUTION!

Let's start another one!

We'll call it the - 'Wild Halibut Alliance'

Wolf, you're the Boss!

Kev, we need a new logo!

Grab your spears gentlemen!

Attack!

quote:Thanks guys for staying positive. All the speculation isn't helping matters, and in the end no amount of petitions or protests will change the decisions that are being made. We will hear soon enough.

What Specualation are you talking about Searun, could you please clarify how this is speculation? I thought this was a piblic board used to covey information related to saltwater fishing? Our season is getting reduced further each season with our minute 12% allocation shared out over an increasing user group. Halibut fishing rereationally is becoming more popular annually. This is about awareness and prevention of the further decline of our rec. fishery. If this was a conservation issue, then sure, no problem. Clearly it is not, sitting back and waiting is an upside down approach. What is required is an equitable split to share the resource fairly between all user groups in a conservation minded way. It's not the eighties anymore.

www.tailspincharters.com

i thought the best idea for a protest was mentioned several weeks ago... a boat blockade of victoria harbour.

if media coverage and attention is what is desired, a i think a blockade would be most effective at raising some eyebrows and getting attention. think about boats stopping all the seaplanes from taking gov't workers to their meetings and whatnot. that would get some attention. it also might garner some serious fines and trouble.

reading this thread, there seems to be some confusion about what is speculation vs what is a final decision. i'm not sure how that would impact the timing of any such protest.

From what I hear the commercial reduction for halibut in Canada (BC) will be roughly 21% or around 8 million pounds. That is what is being proposed. They are fighting it hard though, the big halibut companies can't give up that kind of money. Sporties will take it in the poop shoot as a result.

The commercial fishery opening. Instead of the end of Feb they are opening it March 21st. Sorry should have been more specific.
Also I just got confirmation that the quota in BC was cut by 15% (told you they would not accept 21%) and the rest of the coast was cut by 10%. So once again Canada gets boned....

quote:Originally posted by rico

so the commercial guys still get their quota left alone?
No the commercial guys get a 15% reduction as well as us. The total allowable catch TAC has been reduced for Canada. Yes they still get there 88% but it is reduced proporionaly with ours.

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

If this was a conservation issue, then sure, no problem. Clearly it is not, sitting back and waiting is an upside down approach. What is required is an equitable split to share the resource fairly between all user groups in a conservation minded way. It's not the eighties anymore.

www.tailspincharters.com

Tailspin;
Hate to tell ya but this is a conservation issue. Perhaps you should try to attend the IPHC meetings and see what is being presented. Our stocks are declining. There has been a 45% reducion in Canada's TAC over the last 5 years. Do you think they just do this for fun. Time to put the emphasis back on the experience rather than filling coolers for clients. it's no secret that with the decline of springs that the commercial sports groups are putting more and more effort on halibut.

Sure, i agree with not meat hunting and filling the cooler, Victoria fishery is just the opposite, lucky to bag 2 to 4 for the boat in a day. I am happy with one a day per angler and an annual limit, what i am not proud of is thae fact that we have last minute closure's mid sesaon and limitted priority over the commercial fishery.

As far as data of U.S scientific reasearch showing a reduced Biomass from the test fishery done of the "City" N.W of the Charlottes in 08, yes i do know that info on that from a Commmrcial Hali buddy who has three Longline groundfish boats. I am well aware of both sides of the coin. The commercial guys are concerned with FN issues more than what sporties take. It realy depends who you talk to as to wether this is a consevation issue. Either way, it is still a 88/12 split...My math shows some discrepenceies!

www.tailspincharters.com

quote:Either way, it is still a 88/12 split...

Huh, well where does the F/N take come from then? There are some Bands along the coast that harvest Halibut regularly. F/N's should be another 12% or so, No wonder the populations are dwindeling.. we are fishing them at 112%.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

quote:Either way, it is still a 88/12 split...

Huh, well where does the F/N take come from then? There are some Bands along the coast that harvest Halibut regularly. F/N's should be another 12% or so, No wonder the populations are dwindeling.. we are fishing them at 112%.

Take only what you need.
I would say closer to 125%. I was at IPHC and the comments were that we (commercial sports and sports) are farther over than 300,000 and the F/N is pushing upwards of 1,000,000 lbs on a 410,000lb allocation.
I was talking with some frinds from Prince George and they can get skinless portions for $6/lb.....nice

Back