Halibut Closed Until Further Notice

DFO stands for Dumb **** Outfit.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I've looked high and low on any site including the DFO site for extended closures and can't find anything. I have a contact in the DFO and will give him a visit tomorrow to see if there is any truth to this. Stay tuned...

ron

You wont find anything yet thunder as they are in meetings with the IPHC the material you are seeking was sent to a select few that are in the "game" sort of speak if you want some info e-mail C bos personally.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

An interesting thread, but lots of rumors, no facts. The facts are no decisions have been made, and what is being discussed is how to approach the allocation and conservation issues through the regulations. This should be no surprise, we were told at the end of the season that there was a strong possibility that there would be an extended closure during the shoulder seasons, but an effort would be made to investigate how to provide some form of reasonable angling opportunity during the core season (June - Aug). There is no new news here, and we really shouldn't jump to action until we actually know the final decision. Exact same thing happened last year, all kinds of doom and gloom talk and in the end we had a fishery. For all our brave talk about taking action, we are in the end just passengers on the bus - so strap yourself in and get ready to shout directions to the bus driver.....and try to enjoy the ride. [B)]

Searun you are most likely right but if not a peep comes from us until after the fact we will most likely be ignored. Just my view.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Yep, I hear you...but, all these rumors are just stirring the pot. I've been around and involved in various fisheries issues for years, SFAB Main Board you name it...and most of the time the stuff I heard on the street about what we were talking about was so far off the mark it was actually funny. I think the responsible thing to do is wait and see how it turns out. If they do close the fishery it will hurt my charter business, but I'll have to market other things and make the best of a bad situation. The good news is we should have a better season for Chinook than last year, and if we can survive this season the next 2 seasons look quite good....so the glass is half full.

My apolgies if this came across as stiring the Pot. I would like to think it is more sharing the facts of what is coming at us from the sidelines with fellow anglers who are not on Mr. Boss's e- mail list. I guess i am dumb and missread the factual info and resposes from DFO as well[:0] Also missunderstood are my responses from Bill Shaw im guessing, common man! You are right though, all we can do is wait and see just like farmed mushrooms, that i witnessed first hand at the last meeting.

www.tailspincharters.com

Your right Jus lets go put our heads back in the sand and hide and wait and see I guess going to the meetings and writing lots of letters for us and everyone to fight for us all is for not, think ill go back to doing nothing like everyone else.

Sorry for the rants etc I am jut completly frustrated and pissed off with the way I see this going and nothing seems to be getting done as we all sit back and wait to get it up the arse.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Cuba -

Certainly not operating with the dollars and thus the effect and outcomes of the organizations we are fighting.

Gimee the gaff!!!

This hali thing burns my butt. Any way we can send emails to dfo or the Minister and voice or opinion. If there is why don't we all do it maybe it will plug up there email and they will get the idea. Just a thought. I fish Sooke and the odd hali would be nice considering the springs slowly diminishing

SFI and SFAB and others are working diligently on a solution that would best work for all parties. The Fisheries Minister is flying out to BC to meet with all stakeholders tomorrow and will be speaking with all involved, including commercial interests. There will be a season.

This all said, do you really think that all the open and public doom and gloom conversation that many of you are spouting is truly going to help your bookings for this coming year. Lot's of tourist research and do their homework at this time of the year. What do you think they are concluding with all of this doom and gloom talk? Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Gents! Look up the IPHC site { International Pacific Halibut Commission} see 2009 Catch Limit Recommendations,way lower for our area this year. Trying to remain postive! Cheers FC.

quote:Originally posted by mason.jar

SFI and SFAB and others are working diligently on a solution that would best work for all parties. The Fisheries Minister is flying out to BC to meet with all stakeholders tomorrow and will be speaking with all involved, including commercial interests. There will be a season.

This all said, do you really think that all the open and public doom and gloom conversation that many of you are spouting is truly going to help your bookings for this coming year. Lot's of tourist research and do their homework at this time of the year. What do you think they are concluding with all of this doom and gloom talk? Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Good point...alot of potential clients can come from people browsing the forum....
We should all be staying positive ad trying to support each other....
I personaly think their will be a season for Halibut but it just might be shorter than last year, at least that's my hope.
As what we can do for the future is actually work on 2010 and beyond.
We need to desperately get an annual limit in place an fight to keep our halibut fishery open for at least the same times as the commercial boy's....I find it hard to believe that DFO is gonna allow the commercial fleet out to get there quota and leave the sports sector tied to the dock at the beginning of the season...somehow I see lawsuits and negative public reaction through media.
How in the world are DFO gonna get an exact number of pounds landed throught the sports sector anyhow...it's all just guess work or averages at best.
Like I said before on another forum....last year DFO asked me to keep a log book stamped by them as landed pounds, weight , length, etc...fair enough...
Nowyears ago didn't the commercial sector get their quota based on past catch history...I think most can figure where I'm going with this...
Now before all of you get all pissed at me...I don't for a second support the quota system fullybut as a viable business owner i need to cover all angles that are presented in front of me.
I know that some of the larger lodges have kept track of past catch landings for years now. Right now, substantial cuts will not only be horrible for tourism but will also be creating job losses that our Country cannot afford in this economic climate.
If this was at all about conservation concerns almost every one of use would have a different approach...this halibut issue is pure and simply political and about huge amounts of greed.
Right now certain user groups have far to much control and it's not just the commercial boy's either.
My last comment here will be from the heart....I feel sorry most of all for the simple tax paying fish lover who just wants to take his boat out or rent a guide and can't do that...and will find it a continuous struggle until the government makes the system alot more fair for all Canadians as a whole..

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

The Lord giveth and the government taketh.[V]

IMG_1445.jpg

I agree with staying positive and supporting, however i also think we all have to keep informed to maintain any sort of voice with what is being negotiated at the tables. All i was attempting to do is inform the ones who did not get the latest e-mails etc...mostly the South Island guys who have there Peak Hali season start in March and end in May. Now i will just sit down shut up and hang on.

www.tailspincharters.com

Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Morning Wolf , This may be a ignorant idea , What if we all started a actual signed Petition by all , this forum , Marinas Docks , Camps etc.. We Could get 8 - 10 Guy's from this forum , keep 2 or 3 copies of the protest in our boats , trucks , wherever , START NOW !! Have each Fisherman Print, Sign there name , and acknowledge that they pocess a Saltwater License Perhaps ! !!Say in 3 months, round them all up , get them back to a knowledgeable person on this issue( Yourself perhaps )I could help if needed, to email letters out to whom ever requests ! !For the members of this and other forums , they could have it mailed to them , " I'll Donate a couple $$ Hun towards stamps !!, hope the signees , would be nice enough to mail them back !! , We would need someone to volunteer and create a written legitimate Protest ,This could spread like wild Fire !Somthing along those lines !! ??Who's in !! What do we "thinks" [:eek:)]( RS ). FD[;)Just an Idea

Best idea Iv'e herd in a long time F D. Lets get the ball rollen people. Come on, If someone more learnid than me(I would if I could) composed a letter Ide be more than happy to cover the horseshoe bay signature's I work and pretty much live at the marina everyday. Lot's of signatures there.
Get enough signatures supporting the fact that DFO and others have there heads shoved so far up the asses of the rich, It would probably make the front page of the sun. The media loves scandle.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin
All i was attempting to do is inform the ones who did not get the latest e-mails etc...mostly the South Island guys who have there Peak Hali season start in March and end in May. Now i will just sit down shut up and hang on.

www.tailspincharters.com

It's very important to keep all those involved with the fishery informed.
How else are we to know what's coming down the pipe, especially
with DFO, who are famous for last minute decsions ?
Chin's up lads !

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Morning Wolf , This may be a ignorant idea , What if we all started a actual signed Petition by all , this forum , Marinas Docks , Camps etc.. We Could get 8 - 10 Guy's from this forum , keep 2 or 3 copies of the protest in our boats , trucks , wherever , START NOW !! Have each Fisherman Print, Sign there name , and acknowledge that they pocess a Saltwater License Perhaps ! !!Say in 3 months, round them all up , get them back to a knowledgeable person on this issue( Yourself perhaps )I could help if needed, to email letters out to whom ever requests ! !For the members of this and other forums , they could have it mailed to them , " I'll Donate a couple $$ Hun towards stamps !!, hope the signees , would be nice enough to mail them back !! , We would need someone to volunteer and create a written legitimate Protest ,This could spread like wild Fire !Somthing along those lines !! ??Who's in !! What do we "thinks" [:eek:)]( RS ). FD[;)Just an Idea

Best idea Iv'e herd in a long time F D. Lets get the ball rollen people. Come on, If someone more learnid than me(I would if I could) composed a letter Ide be more than happy to cover the horseshoe bay signature's I work and pretty much live at the marina everyday. Lot's of signatures there.
Get enough signatures supporting the fact that DFO and others have there heads shoved so far up the asses of the rich, It would probably make the front page of the sun. The media loves scandle.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.
Thanks Gone Fishin , I have not had any members kicking down my door quite yet , spoke to guy's about the idea , they liked it as well . Iv'e listened to this post grow from the beginning , sounds like alot of Speculation at this time , I agree with SeaRun and MyEscape , lets see what happens in the next couple of weeks , If a Closure should arise , then we all re think where to start the attack , this may not even happen .Keep positive !! Seems like more guy's like to ***** about it , then actually get dirty and do somthing about it,I know there are members that say " Why weren't you at the meetings " , I learn more on this site than I would sitting in a Stuffy Room , listening to a bunch of Political Crap that makes no sense, to a un educated Sporty like my self ,I can help in other way's , like some other members offered as well , When we all get on the same Fricken page , maybe we can do something about it !! I still am looking for someone to help me put together a Protest letter ,If this Closure Happens , and help send it to the proper authorities , I don't think Wolf was interested , anyone else , pm , I'll keep it confidential !! Cheers , FD( Bamfield i go !! );)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Back