Halibut Closed Until Further Notice

It is unfortunate that there is no Guides Association like there is for Waste Management, Oil Related Businesses, Aquaculture, you name it.

These associations have a paid communications expert monitoring issues and centralizing messages for more strength. He takes his direction from a board of directors wlected by the membership. Often these associations go one further when facing a hot button issue like this and bring in Public Relations agencies to advise, strategize and execute communications tactics to influence public opinion, government, media and so on. They will even hire government relations consultants whos entire purpose is to get the real skinny and influence key decision makers from behind the scenes.

This is why we are losing the battle and they are winning. The issue needs real cash end expetise thrown at it before it is to late.

in actually very happy for this because it is a LONG time coming. Every sportfisher i see coming into the docks is way over their limit. Dont care about regulations this what happens. Commercial fishermen respect their quota and so nothing happens to them.

wow?
your kidding rite?

quote:Originally posted by GrizzlyNeal

in actually very happy for this because it is a LONG time coming. Every sportfisher i see coming into the docks is way over their limit. Dont care about regulations this what happens. Commercial fishermen respect their quota and so nothing happens to them.

iscootblue.png

YHBT!

Originally posted by baz

wow?
your kidding rite?

no im not. Around here commerical are monitored very closely, Sportfishermen are not.

dude you cant say that...if there was an annual limit on halibut then you could say that...there should be an annual limit though...5 to 10?thats overly fair...how much hali does 1 person eat in a year...but let people get there 2 a day so that guides can still have a good business and bring money to local economy etc etc...it doesnt make sense to me that there isnt a better system setup for sportfishing and counting how many hali and salmon people are catching...i could count on my 2 hands ..usually only one tho how many hali were being caught a day all season out of sooke...there really isnt that many being brought in locally...how many good days were there that the tides were good along with weather and to go even further it was on a weekend...maybe 6 times?? why dont they do this by zone to be more fair? where are they getting there sportfishing numbers/pounds from? if they did catch exactly that many pounds and got that info just from the lodges..then something needs to be done...that thing would be to correct the quota..sportys should get 25 and commerical 75?

I can see Grizzly's perception with the monitoring and bycatch fines etc on a longline hali groundfish boat, however this allocation of 88/12 split is a tad disheartening to say the least. Do the Math. With our economy on the rocker and the neighbours south of us in a tough state, things will only get worse for our Island tourism industry. Alberta tourist and Europeans interests are a reliance this year for Lodges, Guides, tackle stores, marina's, hotels restaurants, marine repair, sales etc. small towns sustained by tourism etc, shut down the opportunities to fish as a Recreation and thousands will not come to B.C again this season.

www.tailspincharters.com

Why don't find the harbor with the most commercial boats in it and block the harbor with our boats. If we can't catch fish why should anybody else catch them?:(:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

"Every sportfisher i see coming into the docks is way over their limit."

So where are you exactly from and/or talking about there Grizzley? I've been fishing Vancouver Island for 40+ years and have to say that although, I have seen isolated instances where there was abuse by the recreational crowd. For example, back in the '80's, my ex in-laws would go to Deep Bay in May and load up on cohos for a week. The canner was going constantly for 2 trips a day. I've seen other fishers in Bamfield camped out for long periods as well and plane loads would leave there, but that was quite some time ago too. I think, in general, there is far less abuse of the resource by the recreational community than what you lead on to be.

So this begs me to ask you, if every rec. fisher in your area is coming off the water over their limits, and you are actually seeing this happen, what are you doing about it? Have you reported them at all to the local CO's. Once, twice? Consistantly reporting to the CO's of these occurances in a specific area would certainly get some action. If not, why not? If not, you are part of the problem, as well.

My thinking on your responses are, you are just trying to stir the pot and doing a little trolling yourself, which for someone with three liftime posts and all being trolls, puts you over the limit as well. Maybe we should chuck you back, hahahahaha.

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

How do you know that they are way over limit?? What proof do you have? Prove or shut up with the ********!![V]

IMG_1445.jpg

Damn my mouth is sore! I hope he was using barbless hooks![:I]

IMG_1445.jpg

Not wanting to pour sunshine on the storm clouds here...well, I guess I am...but wasn't this much the same discussion as around January 31st last year?

As the uncertainty about new regs continued, then it didn't open Feb 1, I recall a lot of doom and gloom talk, boats not going to get used, charter guys out of business, etc., then by April 1 everything seemed close to normal and by July 1 it was entirely back to normal.

I know this is a new year, and there's quota issues and other new factors to consider, but isn't it maybe a bit premature to declare hali fishing DOA for the season?

Well said juan...every year there is always the same doom and gloom...whether about this or run sizes etc etc. I think we should focus on doing little things to improve our fishery (whether on the water or off) rather than be pesimistic and crying wolf every season...that could possibly be a reason the DFO does not take what sporties say all that seriously or to heart, because every year it is the same story...not justify their ignorance by any means...just throwing some thoughts/ideas out there....

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Con safos.

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:It is unfortunate that there is no Guides Association like there is for Waste Management, Oil Related Businesses, Aquaculture, you name it.

Well Osama-I thought the SFI was speaking for both the lodges and guides....no??? [?]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:juandesooka

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not wanting to pour sunshine on the storm clouds here...well, I guess I am...but wasn't this much the same discussion as around January 31st last year?

As the uncertainty about new regs continued, then it didn't open Feb 1, I recall a lot of doom and gloom talk, boats not going to get used, charter guys out of business, etc., then by April 1 everything seemed close to normal and by July 1 it was entirely back to normal.

I know this is a new year, and there's quota issues and other new factors to consider, but isn't it maybe a bit premature to declare hali fishing DOA for the season?

I should have clarified South Island Hali fishing. In the Sooke Victoria area, we are lucky to get 5-8 days a month to fish with high current speeds, and the fact that anchoring up is the most common method of success. Also in the south, Our peak hali season starts in March and tapers off at the end of May with dogfish moving in heavily inhibiting the success rate exponentially. Then it gets good again late September and October (weather dependent) So as far as doom and gloom being premature, I think perhaps not! Last year trips were cancelled in November with next no notice, deposits returned , accomidation canceled etc... We can't even confirm bookings yet for the Spring as it may very well not be open until April.

www.tailspincharters.com

There was no such meetings about halibut last year and with just 3 days before the season opened then BAM DFO (dumbf#$k organization)pulled the season up underneath us without no warning what so ever.DFO said they would never do that to us remember the notice and policies from dfo minister Robert Thibault and his????If not go read it!!!!
Then after the guides and charters went nuts they gave south island 1 fish.

OH yeah it was back to normal alright as of June 1. for everyone else but the damage had been done as the season was not touched for the rest of the Island where there sesons dont really begin until june anyways.

DID you all forget about the spring salmon run last year as well??? Where we could only keep a fish under 77 cm but after Chris B went to bat for ALL of us it finally got lifted after another cluster F#K by DFO in 1 month!!!!!!

Now nothing has yet happened but Ill bet you whats coming next is bad this WILL be coastwide fishing will NOT be back to normal.
Do you really think people will book to go to swiftsure,big bank winter harbour etc for 1 10 to 20 lb halibut for the price we need to charge for the fuel or any sporty as well thats a lot of money to go for 4 hali if you pile your buddies on.

Remember this is all POLITICAL commercial didnt even reach there quota last year they said we (sporties) were over by 320,000 lbs!!!!commercial was 890,000 lbs under and they are worried about us?????????????WTF is all Ihave to say

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back