Halibut chum cans allowed ?

Black Bird

I have asked several experienced fishermen and guides if chum cans are allowed when fishing for halibut..with mixed answers ... Some have said they are absolutely allowed ... Some have said they are not .....

Just wondering if DFO boards my boat .... And I am using one .... Will there be issues ? If so ... I will not use one ....

Great....Thank u ... Yes ... I looked on the booklet ... And didn't see a restriction either ....
But hearing contrary info from respected guys in the know made me nervous to try it ....

Get a used garberator and install it at your cleaning station or... Put a power cord on one and a bucket. Jam all your leftovers through it. Catch it with another bucket... Instant chum no effort.

I seen a guy up north who used a 3" piece of PVC pipe about 3' long & had it attached to his main line ~3' above his rig. He drilled bunch of holes in it. It looked cool. I am thinking about it for next year.

be warned have clippers ready for your downrigger, we had some sea monster grab ours when we were anchored up and start pulling line from the rigger, scrambled to find the snips and lucky what ever grabbed the bag let it go!

I should clarify that this happened when I was with a guide in bamfield, I dont anchor for hali

Last edited:
Chum on your down rigger? That's a tangle on every hook up! Run a rope off your bow with a 10 lbs ball and a chum bag. Even then you get the odd tangle on the hook.

Chum on your down rigger? That's a tangle on every hook up! Run a rope off your bow with a 10 lbs ball and a chum bag. Even then you get the odd tangle on the hook.

love the green button, hook a fish and raise the chum bag which w 12# ball is nowhere near my 1-2# drift weights...
i do in ten years remember a China or two running it over and mucking things up

maybe i am just lucky and lazy

I have only had one tangle with the downrigger and that was AFTER a nice fat hali got hooked up and right at the surface thrashed around beside the DR ball. It got twisted up in the spreader bar but I just brought the whole shebang aboard and sorted it out.

I will say that the currents have to be moving just right. Too much is gonna blow the *** back into your rods and too little makes everything hang in the same place.

Back