Halibut: Bad News

I see this as a very pleasant surprise. Way I see it, this has been a staring contest for the past few years, and the gov't just blinked. They were standing pat on the fairness of the allocation and that the commercial halibut license holders lawfully owned their 88% share, bought and paid for. In taking away even a measly 3% from these supposed resource owners, they have abandoned their position of 100% supporting the model generally and the allocation specifically. They've now caved under the political pressure of the recreational lobby ... and once there's a small crack in the dam, a trickle becomes a flood. This is the just the start of it. And that's why I see this as good news, not bad. It means all the letters and emails and phone calls and meetings have not been a waste of time, they didn't just go in the garbage bin, they were heard and had an impact ... and this shows clearly that it is worthwhile to continue the effort!

Well said.

Hopefully Chris Bos might get opportunity to shed more light on this at the seminar tomorrow. I'll keep my 'often-big' trap shut till I have more opportunity to digest the numbers and ramifacations of this.

Initially, I would hazard that 15% is better than 12%.

Looking forward to the seminar.

Looking forward to catching my first fuggin' halibut!

Way I see it, this has been a staring contest for the past few years, and the gov't just blinked... They've now caved under the political pressure of the recreational lobby ...

In my way of thinking... There isn't an icicle's chance in hell that they "caved under the political pressure of the recreational lobby". Rather their legal team finally awoke to the FACT that the Supreme Court will side against them in any forthcoming lawsuit, and this is their version of a "peace offering" hoping it pacifies us and keeps us from investigating the legal option.

this shows clearly that it is worthwhile to continue the effort!

And with that, I STRONGLY concur!!
7.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Hopefully Chris Bos might get opportunity to shed more light on this at the seminar tomorrow. I'll keep my 'often-big' trap shut till I have more opportunity to digest the numbers and ramifacations of this.

well, unless I'm out in left field and someone can show me how, I hope someone can point out that the numbers don't add up before SFI goes on and on in a public venue about how our season gets cut short. No matter how I crunch the numbers, I can't help think he is wrong. I realize how it 'looks' when you think of losing 8% (it isn't 13%) and only gaining 3%, but I cannot crunch numbers to show we get 'less' this year than last. I repeat, last year was 7.65 million. 12% of that is 918000. This year, we get 7.04 million TAC BUT we get 15% - that is 1.056 million. That is 138000 more fish. That does not mean a month earlier season as outlined in that article from SFI:

"Minister Ashfield closed the recreational halibut fishing on September 5th last year and caused extensive economic damage to the sport fishing industry", said Alcock. "Today he served notice that recreational halibut fishing will end in the first week of August, which will wreak havoc in the sport fishing industry and which will not conserve a single fish."

Did that 'quote' that it would close beginning of August come from Rob, or the minister? The wording is open to interpretation and I hope the number crunching makes sense before public war begins.

I think its great what SFI has been doing and 3% is a step in the right direction, but I am concerned about the tone of that article and I hope I'm wrong and isn't based on errant math!

We might need to subtract our overage from last season.
You cant use iphc number because you have to subtract FN amount first.
Commercials and recs numbers are based after FN.
FN numbers seem to stay the same every year so unless things change this year that number is known.

Sign we up for a law suit but I don't have much money but will give what I can.
GLG

Today's changes to the recreational halibut fishery, will ensure that in 2012, recreational anglers will experience the shortest halibut fishing season in memory, said Sport Fishing Institute of BC President Robert Alcock. "Minister Ashfield closed the recreational halibut fishing on September 5th last year and caused extensive economic damage to the sport fishing industry", said Alcock. "Today he served notice that recreational halibut fishing will end in the first week of August, which will wreak havoc in the sport fishing industry and which will not conserve a single fish."

I totally agree that this will be our shortest season ever.....first week of August even seems optimistic once they see all the extra early season pressure and apply their Voodoo math.....hard to see where those who think we have gained something are coming from.....

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...SLPM_iCroAzQobycmGMSHtlKHsHkXqbYftrYwOyPS3w==

Little Hawk, Martin Paish is the MC for the seminar this time around as I believe Chris is down south. Martin will have the floor from 11:45 till noon if he wants it, to explain the latest news. This is the 15 minutes prior to the actual seminar beginning.

Well, if FN numbers stay the same, then they'd be irrelevant as that number would have to be subtracted last year too...so regardless this is an increase but still BS in regards to amount we get, should at least have 20%!!! I don't see how its a beginning August closure though. I find it hard to see myself participating in the creel surveys this summer...

I believe Martin will for sure

We might need to subtract our overage from last season.
You cant use iphc number because you have to subtract FN amount first.
Commercials and recs numbers are based after FN.
FN numbers seem to stay the same every year so unless things change this year that number is known.

Sign we up for a law suit but I don't have much money but will give what I can.
GLG
as said, its all relative as we subtract FN or whatever comes off the top every year. As a total, there should be more allocated to us this year regardless the actual number. More fish would not equal less fishing!?!? Overage though, that would be the x factor I didn't think about - looks like it was 270000??? You trying to tell me we fished 20% of the seasons halibut in the last 1/2 of august and first few days of September (DFO notice said quota was met in August)??? I say BS to that.

The overage of 2010 didn't apply to 2011, so are they adding it this year? I assume that can be answered tomorrow at the seminar? IF thats the case, then yep, we screwed - that would mean about 785000 lbs this year vs 947000 of last year....uhm, ouch!

I think the overage is applied to the next year only.
So in this case our 2011 overage needs to be subtracted from this years amount.

In past the 270,000 overage has come off the top and the working commercial guy foots 88% of the bill... well 85% now.

why didn't they subtract the 2010 overage off the 2011 quota though?

Careful thinking we can go to the courts to get an answer. Unless you got a whole lot of cash you don't mind parting with, that is not the place to go. You can burn through a few hundred thousand and accomplish nothing. If there's one thing governments got lots of is lawyers. Better for us to be looking for other ways to resolve this issue before considering litigation.

- I agree with Nog & juan, the time is nigh to escalate our push at DFO, and exercise our legal options.
- I agree with Deewar25, with any numbers we use, our allotment is up - slightly.
- It's not that I disagree with an 'early Aug closure', I just don't understand why ('extra early pressure'). Can anyone explain?

See y'all tomorrow morning,

F D

In past the 270,000 overage has come off the top and the working commercial guy foots 88% of the bill... well 85% now.

Does it hurt?.. sorry jus had to to ask.........

Careful thinking we can go to the courts to get an answer. Unless you got a whole lot of cash you don't mind parting with, that is not the place to go. You can burn through a few hundred thousand and accomplish nothing. If there's one thing governments got lots of is lawyers. Better for us to be looking for other ways to resolve this issue before considering litigation.

.... As Searun says from experience we need to think what road we go down... stand bye there is a plan to move forward....

- I agree with Nog & juan, the time is nigh to escalate our push at DFO, and exercise our legal options.
- I agree with Deewar25, with any numbers we use, our allotment is up - slightly.
- It's not that I disagree with an 'early Aug closure', I just don't understand why ('extra early pressure'). Can anyone explain?

See y'all tomorrow morning,

F D

What legal option? We have a long, long way to go to build and prove a case. This is expensive and risky business. Where on earth are we going to come up with the cash to fund a litigation team? Don't even bother until you have $200K in the bank. Who's got that cash?

Back