Halibut: Bad News

"Not only Unfair, but ILLEGAL as pointed out by our own Supreme Court!
I guess The Dino figures itself to be above all of that?"

I agree with you IronNoggin. IMO The only way this will change is if we take DFO to court, like was just done re. protecting the Orca's. It worked for the environmentalists and it could work for us. We just need to form some good alliances and raise the $ to do it.

It IS Time!! If that's what it takes, I am in. Methinks it is well overdue that they understand they are NOT above the LAW in this case!
Will take a lot of effort, time and coin. But given the Supreme Court's stance, it is the obvious route...

Nog

The ****** thing about all this is about 5 years ago there was a surplus in hali's and the rec sector did not take our entire quota so we sold what remains to the commercials.

This raised hundreds of thousands of dollars that was put into a trust account. That money could have been used to fight the legal battle that some are suggesting must happen but that isn't what happened. Instead the first year the quota was short and our season was going to be shut down early the money in the trust account was sent back to the commercials for some of their quota to extend the season. That money quickly ran out and now here we are with no money and a huge fight ahead of us.

Whatever idiot(s) used the trust money to buy quota from the commercials to extend that one season needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here that set a precedent of rec fisherman buying quota from commercials something the DFO is still trying to push.

The tax payers paid for the Basi/Virk trial.....

I tend to agree with most on this subject:

Recreational fishers received an increase in the right direction, albeit a small increase.
We still have a very long and tough battle to ensure we receive what we're entitled to.

I also want to make sure I have the numbers & percentages correct:

In 2011, we received 12% of the TAC.
In 2012, we will receive 15% of the TAC (actually an increase of 25% over the 2011 percentage).
In 2012, the Canadian TAC is reduced 13% from 2011.
The net change in the Recreational total numbers is up 8.8%, right? (not sure of Dewar25's numbers).

F D

Couldn't disagree more with the "step in the right direction" sentiment - that's exactly what the Conservative PR machine wants folks to think when in fact they've changed nothing. An allocation change of 3% is less than the estimation error when using any type of population or quota assessment but in particular when using a tool like voluntary creel surveys, which is what's used to measure the rec quota. So, like someone said earlier, we're still going to see the fishery shut down in August, the exact end date is still uncertain and the daily and possession limits are the same. If this isn't the slap in the face to the rec community that galvanizes us against the way this fishery is managed I'm at a loss to think of what would be.

Having said all that, I guess when just 32% support of the voting public gets us a majority government maybe us Canadians get what we deserve?

I have to agree with others that this will just create a "Gold Rush" mentality which will cause our season to be shorter than ever.....if that happens I don't see how this is a step in the right direction.....
icon13.png

Just remember that when the creel surveyors come around and ask how many halibut you have caught this year, you know what your answer will be ;-)

guys, pretty sure it wasn't a drop of 13% for the TAC (that was only a prelim number that staff and an advisory group used) - looks like an 8% drop was adopted by the commissioners though, so that does mean an increase of 138k pounds and based on last years 'guestimate' of 4989 lbs/day, that would put closure at the end of September this year.

Thats what the math says anyway.

For the peole that "dont get it". the probelm IMO with with the 15% is its a smoke and mirriors show. Our possesion/catch is still the same. Our start time is the same. Whats changed? NOTHING! They could have told us it was 20% and everyone would have been super stoked. Thats until they shut us down right after labour day. the "percentage" IMO means sweet FA until they can properly count what we catch.

That's what I was thinking.
Or should I say x2

Forget about daily limits, opening and closing dates etc. they are irrelevent.
we have been arguing with gov't for 2 years to get a bigger share of the TAC, and we got it.
this is a crack in the armor, we need to keep pushing for more and as we get it, the other things will all fall into place.
once again JMHO.

The ****** thing about all this is about 5 years ago there was a surplus in hali's and the rec sector did not take our entire quota so we sold what remains to the commercials.

This raised hundreds of thousands of dollars that was put into a trust account. That money could have been used to fight the legal battle that some are suggesting must happen but that isn't what happened. Instead the first year the quota was short and our season was going to be shut down early the money in the trust account was sent back to the commercials for some of their quota to extend the season. That money quickly ran out and now here we are with no money and a huge fight ahead of us.

Whatever idiot(s) used the trust money to buy quota from the commercials to extend that one season needs to shoulder a lot of the blame here that set a precedent of rec fisherman buying quota from commercials something the DFO is still trying to push.

you could not us that money to a law suite

I'm going to post ***** a bit and ask yammy why he re-posted the announcement?

this is a crack in the armor, we need to keep pushing for more and as we get it, the other things will all fall into place.
once again JMHO.

I agree with craven.

We should be pretty happy about what we got, while keeping up the pressure to improve further.

For Immediate Release

DFO ESTABLISHES SHORTEST HALIBUT SEASON IN CANADIAN HISTORY

VANCOUVER, B.C. -Today's changes to the recreational halibut fishery, will ensure that in 2012, recreational anglers will experience the shortest halibut fishing season in memory, said Sport Fishing Institute of BC President Robert Alcock. "Minister Ashfield closed the recreational halibut fishing on September 5th last year and caused extensive economic damage to the sport fishing industry", said Alcock. "Today he served notice that recreational halibut fishing will end in the first week of August, which will wreak havoc in the sport fishing industry and which will not conserve a single fish."

Ashfield announced that he will not accept the unanimous recommendation of Canada's 300,000 recreational anglers and create a "fixed number' fishery that would allow recreational anglers to enjoy a predictable fishery during periods of low halibut abundance. Instead, Ashfield simply tinkered with the flawed allocation system established in 2003 which will ensure that Canada's 436 commercial halibut quota holders can continue to harvest 85% of Canada's sustainable Total Allowable Catch (TAC). The TAC is established annually by the International Pacific Halibut Commission and the amount of halibut that Canada and the US can harvest without endangering the long-term stability of halibut stocks.

During the 2011 election, Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Island residents that "Our government recognizes the importance of the halibut fishery in BC. The jobs and regional economic impact of the commercial, recreational and related tourism in BC are substantial. We remain committed to finding a solution to BC's halibut allocation issue in advance of the 2012 season that strikes a fair balance between all sectors."

"Recreational halibut fishers took the Prime Minister at his word," said Alcock. "Sadly, today we have learned the hard way that the Prime Minister's word is of little value, particularly to the hundreds of businesses, thousands of sport fishing industry employees and the hundred thousand Canadians who enjoy recreational halibut fishing."

According to a recent study conducted for the BC Seafood Alliance (the commercial sector's industry association), the recreational fishery in BC produces $642 million in annual sales, pays $150 million in wages and benefits, creates more than 7,800 jobs and 3,950 person-years of employment and contributes $240 million to the province's Gross Domestic Product.

For more information please contact

Robert Alcock
President
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

I see this as a very pleasant surprise. Way I see it, this has been a staring contest for the past few years, and the gov't just blinked. They were standing pat on the fairness of the allocation and that the commercial halibut license holders lawfully owned their 88% share, bought and paid for. In taking away even a measly 3% from these supposed resource owners, they have abandoned their position of 100% supporting the model generally and the allocation specifically. They've now caved under the political pressure of the recreational lobby ... and once there's a small crack in the dam, a trickle becomes a flood. This is the just the start of it. And that's why I see this as good news, not bad. It means all the letters and emails and phone calls and meetings have not been a waste of time, they didn't just go in the garbage bin, they were heard and had an impact ... and this shows clearly that it is worthwhile to continue the effort!

Last edited by a moderator:
uh, I know I'm late to the party here and catching up on the fly, but what the hell am I missing with this SFI thing. I assume it was an 8% reduction, which is a TAC of 7 million - 15% of that is 1.05 million. Last year TAC was 7.65 million, and 12% of that was 918 000. That is an increase of 130000 lbs. How does that amount to a month less of fishing with the same daily quota? Even if it was 6.6m that was proposed (or even was accepted), that is still more fish than last year, so why would it be a shorter year?

Am I out to lunch, or is there confusion on Robs part with the math here? I see the logic - they take 8% (or 13%) whatever it is, and give back 3%, so it SEEMS like we are getting less, but those percentages aren't apples to apples based on my numbers above!

Right? Wrong? If someone can confirm the final accepted TAC, that would help!

Back