Halibut: Bad News

So there letting us catch one fish under 83 cm which isnt big enough for commercials.Great idea we catch these little babies and in the short term wont take fish away from the commies.

Yea. If we focus on getting enough of those babies, the commies will begin to hurt big time. We won't take that much poundage but could teally cull the population. Just thinking.

Bad news Halibut... or is it bad news for those that go and fish them.
For the real bad news for halibut look at this PDF

http://www.iphc.int/publications/ra...tchandmortalityofPacifichalibut 1962-2011.pdf

highlights from document

Estimates of the bycatch mortality of Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) in 2011 totaled
9.99 million pounds (net weight), a decrease of 6% from 2010 and the lowest seen since 1986.

Fisheries targeting on other fish and shellfish inadvertently catch Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus
stenolepis). Information collected by at-sea observers has indicated the incidental catch, or bycatch, is substantial. U.S. and Canadian domestic regulations require that halibut be returned to the sea with no additional injury. However, some fish die from being caught and handled. This document provides an overview of the estimated halibut bycatch mortality in 2011 by International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) regulatory area.

Area 2B – British Columbia
Bycatch mortality in the B.C. bottom trawl fishery was estimated at 0.3 million pounds, the
highest seen since 2007 and higher than the average of 0.25 million pounds for 2002-2011 (Fig.
2). Bycatch continued to be greatest during summer months (Fig. 3). The proportion taken in January-March has been lower in recent years. Typically, less than 10% is taken during the final
three months of the year. Estimates were provided by DFO staff at the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, B.C., based on data collected by observers (K. Rutherford, DFO/PBS, 3190 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6N7, personal communication). Monthly estimates of mortality were supplied for 2010 and 2011, with the 2011 data complete through August. Projections for the full calendar year 2011 were made by extrapolating to the full 12 months based on the proportion of bycatch taken through the same time period during 2006-2010.

No mention about the long line that fish4all and the regular halibut fleet fish and the mortality that they have for those u32 (under 32 inch) perhaps fish4all could let us know how many pounds his sector has to account for.

To be fair fish4all has to account for all mortality in his quota.
My point is this by-catch is still way out of hand as you can see and read for yourselves.
GLG

So for context all the recreational fishermen in BC would have to kill and dump over the side every halibut we caught in August to come up with a by-catch that our BC trawl fishery has.

Think about that when you talk about the slot size for this year.
Kind makes that point a bit stupid doesn't.
So who has the impact and what is the real bad news for halibut.
GLG

Bad news Halibut... or is it bad news for those that go and fish them.
For the real bad news for halibut look at this PDF

http://www.iphc.int/publications/ra...tchandmortalityofPacifichalibut 1962-2011.pdf

highlights from document

Estimates of the bycatch mortality of Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) in 2011 totaled
9.99 million pounds (net weight), a decrease of 6% from 2010 and the lowest seen since 1986.

Fisheries targeting on other fish and shellfish inadvertently catch Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus
stenolepis). Information collected by at-sea observers has indicated the incidental catch, or bycatch, is substantial. U.S. and Canadian domestic regulations require that halibut be returned to the sea with no additional injury. However, some fish die from being caught and handled. This document provides an overview of the estimated halibut bycatch mortality in 2011 by International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) regulatory area.

Area 2B – British Columbia
Bycatch mortality in the B.C. bottom trawl fishery was estimated at 0.3 million pounds, the
highest seen since 2007 and higher than the average of 0.25 million pounds for 2002-2011 (Fig.
2). Bycatch continued to be greatest during summer months (Fig. 3). The proportion taken in January-March has been lower in recent years. Typically, less than 10% is taken during the final
three months of the year. Estimates were provided by DFO staff at the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo, B.C., based on data collected by observers (K. Rutherford, DFO/PBS, 3190 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 6N7, personal communication). Monthly estimates of mortality were supplied for 2010 and 2011, with the 2011 data complete through August. Projections for the full calendar year 2011 were made by extrapolating to the full 12 months based on the proportion of bycatch taken through the same time period during 2006-2010.

No mention about the long line that fish4all and the regular halibut fleet fish and the mortality that they have for those u32 (under 32 inch) perhaps fish4all could let us know how many pounds his sector has to account for.

To be fair fish4all has to account for all mortality in his quota.
My point is this by-catch is still way out of hand as you can see and read for yourselves.
GLG
I'm not sure but i think trawlers have to have halibut quota for there incidental halibut catch, i think the same goes for a lot of the commercial fishery eg black cod,dog fish,rock fish,ling cod etc.

I'm not sure but i think trawlers have to have halibut quota for there incidental halibut catch, i think the same goes for a lot of the commercial fishery eg black cod,dog fish,rock fish,ling cod etc.

Wen reading this part of the IPHC publication GLG posted I would say you are incorrect in this statement.

Quote from statement. "U.S. and Canadian domestic regulations require that halibut be returned to the sea with no additional injury. However, some fish die from being caught and handled. This document provides an overview of the estimated halibut bycatch mortality in 2011 by International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) regulatory area."

Area 2B

Each vessel was allocated a Þ xed poundage of halibut, or an IVQ, as calculated by DFO. In 1991, when the halibut IVQ program was implemented, 435 vessels received IVQs. Each initial IVQ was split into two shares called blocks. Numerous changes have been made since then, including first allowing temporary block transfers (1993) and then permanent block and IVQ transfers (1999). Since 1999, the number of active vessels with halibut licenses (L licenses), and First Nations communal commercial licenses (FL licenses), has decreased from a high of 257 (in 1999) to a low of 148 (in 2011). However, halibut was landed from a total of 217 active licenses in 2011, sixty-nine of which were from other fisheries.

The Groundfish Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP) has been in effect in British Columbia since 2006. The IFMP, initially a three-year pilot program, was implemented to meet conservation needs, including addressing rockfish conservation concerns and improving catch monitoring. The IFMP was reviewed and approved by DFO in January 2010. The IFMP includes quota shares for all hook and line groundfish fisheries, transferability with limits between license holders, 100% at-sea and dockside monitoring, and vessel accountability for all catch, both landed and discarded. There is 100% monitoring through logbook recordings, video camera coverage, and dockside coverage.

The commercial catch of 6,480,000 pounds for Area 2B was 3% under the catch limit.

I didn't know what draconian meant.... Wiki: Draconian is an adjective meaning great severity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back