Halibut Anchoring

pennel

I started last year anchoring for halibut (only done it a couple of times) using the scotchman and zap strap method for the anchor.It worked ok. till now.
The question I have is, what kind of breaking strain do you have using the zap straps as you can buy these at different strengths.? The ones I had didn't say .
My boat is a 24' Hewescraft and the anchoring is done offshore out of Bamfield .
I know it's somewhere on one of the threads here but I have looked and can't find it.
Thanks

I suggest you get an anchor and use as designed. If you have to zap strap to be safe there is a problem. I have used a slip ring Danforth for 35 years, never used a single zap strap, if they get stuck, drive past the anchor and pull as normal, ring slides up anchor and pulls from bottom releasing anchor for easy recovery. Only time I had a problem is when I stay on anchor for a tide change and direction reversal. Then rode can wrap around "something" so pull is still on rope not anchor. This happens in real rough ground, only way to stop is pull anchor and reposition. This we do as hali spots change with tide direction.

H

I started last year anchoring for halibut (only done it a couple of times) using the scotchman and zap strap method for the anchor.It worked ok. till now.
The question I have is, what kind of breaking strain do you have using the zap straps as you can buy these at different strengths.? The ones I had didn't say .
My boat is a 24' Hewescraft and the anchoring is done offshore out of Bamfield .
I know it's somewhere on one of the threads here but I have looked and can't find it.
Thanks

your boat should be able to break the zaps. i test anchored using only a couple to start.. 6 big zaps and i have to work at breaking them.... maybe too many? i use 6 of the heavy zaps and have to have some slack and give it a good yank in the opposite direction to get mine to break for the chain to pull from the bottom. your rope could be too elastic?.. careful in that swell man... pretty easy to get the butt end sucked down or get rolled over if your hung up.

The zap straps are more about helping you get your anchor back if it drags into something solid. I use 2 of the big heavy duty ones. Same as Tofino they only break on the rare occasion when the anchor is jammed into something and won't let go.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. We've been using slide bars on our jet boat anchors on the Fraser River for pulling them out from the opposite direction and for breaking them free when permanently stuck for as long as I can remember. When welded on with the right amount of weld they hold for pulling free from other direction but will also cleanly break off if needed to if they are too jammed up on the bottom which will save all the rest of your anchoring chain, rode, etc as the slide bar welds are the weakest part of the anchoring system and break off nicely if needed to. Works the same way while ocean anchoring. Testing the weld break strength on land to confirm it's how you want it prior to boat installation is recommended. 20170812_124608.jpg

Don't worry about it double up on the straps and if they break they did their job. Zap strap are cheap but effective.

I put 2 on as well one I double wrap ive seen guys use ganyon line as well whatever you use make sure it breaks replacing isnt that much in money...

Reactions: abl
I also use two zap straps. They are heavy duty ones from HD. Just take the pack of straps out with you. Start with two, if they break too easily (on just a regular lift, not stuck at all), just add a third one next time you send it down. If it breaks too easily again, just add a fourth or a fifth.

I also use two zap straps. They are heavy duty ones from HD. Just take the pack of straps out with you. Start with two, if they break too easily (on just a regular lift, not stuck at all), just add a third one next time you send it down. If it breaks too easily again, just add a fourth or a fifth.

+1, don't over-think it.

On second thought. . . do over-think it, since it's a major safety issue with safe anchoring. . .but +1 above, I use the heavy duty white ones at home depot. Two of them seems about right for my setup,

fb

Back