Halibut anchoring etc

Chasin' Dreams

How many of you guys have lost anchors and line due to them getting too hung up while anchored for Halibut?

I'm asking because I have a windless anchor system on my boat on the bow. I've never had any issues with losing an anchor before although I have had to work at dislodging it a couple times pulling from different angles when it was hung up pretty good in reefs.
I am contemplating putting some quick release links in the rope every 50' or so from 100' to 300' just to be safe in case I have issues in the future or in case I wanna unclip and leave it with a Scotchman floating while I run over to visit near by boats/friends fishing close to me or when having to move the boat if fighting a larger running fish etc..

I see a lot of guys using the anchor from the stern system with bow to stern line, ring, etc but just wondering is that system used mostly because they are used by boats without windless systems on the bow or is it more used because guys wanna be able to unclip from the anchor quickly when there is a problem with it hanging up, or when moving the boat to fight bigger fish?
Personally I haven't seen too many large Hali's that needed to be chased by unclipping from the anchor. But maybe I just haven't heard of too many of those instances?

Just curious on avid Hali fisherman's thoughts on this?

It is used because you can deploy and retrieve the anchor from the stern where it is much safer than the bow - especially in rough seas. And in an emergency you can undo or cut the line from the stern to the bow to release the system - again from the stern.

Thank you for the reply Civano. I thought it would be more of a safety quick release issue.
So for a quick release with my bow windless set up I can just put a quick release on the rope then still keep the line running through the bow pulley wheel (not the windless gear) and have the end of the rope tied off to a cleat closer to our back fishing deck. That way I can still have the Scotchman out clipped on the line on a link on the rope floating, and if I have to unclip for emergency I just untie from the cleat near the deck and the rope will run up the boat and under the pulley wheel and I'll be freed up. When I need to pull the anchor just motor up and clip on to the Scotchman and put the rope back into the windless gear. Sound about right?

True DB. There's harpoons and scotchman's for that if needed. Never caught a monster Hali yet though and if I did it would get released anyways.

all the guys that know that have windlass do not use them for hali anchoring.. too dangerous in the swell, current, or being hung up. use the sliding method.

Trophywife, that's where I guess I'm just not getting the difference...Am I understanding this wrong? I am looking at it like this; even if you have a bow line connected to the stern cleat and a ring on it that the anchor is clipped to, in swells or wind, or running tide I would think the ring will always slide up to the bow anyways cause the boat will always want to travel with the tide, wind, or swell, which will always slide that ring to the bow will it not? So if that's the case the bow of the boat will always still be the point of tension to the anchor. I was watching Murphy's youtube video:

and the way he is explaining it seams is it is a system used on boats where access to the bow isn't easy or doable. So they set it up with a quick release to the stern that way. That is the only reason he seams to offer for the need of that system unless I missed something?

The way I am interpreting it, if the boat has a windless system and safe access to the bow then you could just put a quick release on the anchor line and still run that back to your stern fish deck cleat where you could release it if needed quickly. My boat is a pilot house and has a walkway on both sides with big area up on the bow with a high railing where the windless is.

I'm probably over thinking this but I just wanna be sure I'm not missing other reasons why the stern anchoring system would be better.

Last edited:
Serengeti I agree for sure with that. But if I have quick release links on the anchor rope I could always hook it up to the stern and pull from there if it got stuck badly. I'm just trying to set it up so it's as efficient and quick as possible on my boat cause I plan to do much more bottom fishing this season than I normally do. I think I've got it planned out pretty well in my head now.

I'm gonna set up quick release links along my rope every 100' or so starting at 300'. That way if I'm in 100' of water I can put a quick release link at 300' (3:1 scope with 50' of chain) then another quick release link every 100' after that. Then I'll just have a scotchman with a short leash and quick release clip on the bow and clip that to the anchor rope quick release link but just leave it sitting on the bow. If I have to release my anchor line for an emergency the scotchman will go over board and will hold and mark the anchor line. From the end of the anchor line quick release I clip on a 30' section of rope I can use to tie off to on my stern deck cleat. Hope I'm explaining it ok. It will be a super easy system and very quick to deploy and bring in. Hopefully I can set it up for next week when I'll be chasin' Hali's

I only have a 25' boat, so the size and drop in my anchor locker doesn't allow me to use my windlass effectively to retrieve the rode when I'm anchored for Hali fishing. I always use a ring and Scotsman and haven't had a problem with that system (zap straps on anchor in case it gets hung up) with a bow/stern cleat line. It works very well and is safe to set and retrieve in most seas. It's a great little workout pulling in the rode if the anchor is at the surface, won't kill you!
It's easy if you have the anchoring setup in a crate all ready to go.

Listen to what everybody is telling you that have lots of experience.Don't go up to your bow in rough weather and possibly strong currents.Tie a bow to stern line before you head out,should be short enough that it won't get into your props if released.Put a heavy stainless caribiner on the end of your anchor line,I have a small float attached beside it for easy retrieval if I have to release,hasn't happened yet.Pull it up from the safety of the cockpit of your boat in any weather.If your anchor is zap strapped to the front and shackled to the back you'll never get hung up.

Harbour Chandler or PNT will build a decent anchor system for you.
Sounds like all you need are a couple of rings, a scotchman, a biner or 2. and a bow-stern line.

Hey Rayvon I think you may have missed how I explained I was gonna set it up, it's still a quick release set up at the stern fish deck, just different...I'm still going through the bow but will have quick release on the anchor rope unhooked from the windless after the anchor is set, then the quick release at end of the anchor rope will come down my pilot house side walkway and be quick release hooked up right at my fish deck. I will have a scotchman on a short leash attached to the anchor rope. If anything happens it takes a split second to unhook it right at my fish deck and I'm free. When I have to pull up the anchor all I do is clip on the quick release at the end of the anchor rope back onto the windless.
Super fast and much less involved then the other bow/stern/ring/hand hauling method.

I ran my set up plan by my commercial fishing family friends last night. They do all kinds of custom rigging, on their boats etc and he told me it's an excellent set up idea so I'm pretty happy about that. Gonna build it up this week. He also said he would also weld me up an anchor chain slide bar on my anchor so I don't have to worry about using the zap strap method. I have the anchor chain slide bar on my river boat so I thought why not put one on the ocean boat anchor.
That way if the anchor gets stuck you just move the boat up current which slides the anchor chain down the slide bar to the opposite end of the anchor and pulls it out from the reverse side. Works very well on my river boat anchor. Have saved it multiple times from badly stuck spots that way.

YOU ARE WAY OVER THINKING THIS SYSTEM do whatever you chose but to me seems like ALOT can go wrong!!!!
when you have current and wind and such trust me you dont have time to fool around with ropes and such the system we use with zap straps in place you wont get into trouble what your describing YES , your not on a river your in open ocean where to many factors can come into play....
im speaking from over 30 years of doing this....
last thing we need is another accident out there... ever heard of the K.I.S.S. system....???

Hi wolf no disrespect I appreciate your comment but did you read everything I wrote? There is no simpler system that what I've described. My anchor line will be directly next to me on the stern fish deck with a quick release. 1 second and I'm free. How much too complicated is that? I guess you may also be not understanding the anchor slide bar either. It's so simple and works amazingly. I'll take a picture of it for you.

I think people are advising you to stop using the windless part of your setup. Using the Scotchmen ring and forget about the anchor system. Retrieving the anchor once I jams the chain is easy and not very hard. Use the windless on days your anchoring for lunch.

Thanks Bones that would make sense if there were safety issues about using the windless which under normal set up there could be but I am creating a system that gets rid of all the safety concerns about using a windless by ie. 1. Installing quick release clips in the anchor line spliced in. 2. Anchor line is not attached to windless while anchored, only while setting the anchor and retrieving it. During anchored fishing the anchor rope end is right next to me at the stern fish deck on a quick release carabeener where it takes one second for boat to be free. 3. Welding on a thin slide bar on the anchor so in case the anchor gets hung up you drive up current of the anchor which slides the anchor chain to the opposite end of the anchor to pull from that direction. If the anchor is too jammed up the slide bar will break free and you will lose the anchor but keep all your rope and chain. 4. There is still a scotch man on short leash quick snapped on line going to stern in case I have to unclip boat from anchor line the anchor line will still be saved and floating.

The system is so simple and quick and safe I think guys just aren't reading it all or interpreting it correctly. I'll take pictures of it so it will be easier to see.

Thanks Bones that would make sense if there were safety issues about using the windless which under normal set up there could be but I am creating a system that gets rid of all the safety concerns about using a windless by ie. 1. Installing quick release clips in the anchor line spliced in. 2. Anchor line is not attached to windless while anchored, only while setting the anchor and retrieving it. During anchored fishing the anchor rope end is right next to me at the stern fish deck on a quick release carabeener where it takes one second for boat to be free. 3. Welding on a thin slide bar on the anchor so in case the anchor gets hung up you drive up current of the anchor which slides the anchor chain to the opposite end of the anchor to pull from that direction. If the anchor is too jammed up the slide bar will break free and you will lose the anchor but keep all your rope and chain. 4. There is still a scotch man on short leash quick snapped on line going to stern in case I have to unclip boat from anchor line the anchor line will still be saved and floating.

The system is so simple and quick and safe I think guys just aren't reading it all or interpreting it correctly. I'll take pictures of it so it will be easier to see.
Sounds easy and safe to me.

Back