Haida gwaii family trip

slaydown

Hey guys
Just trying to get some input about the area. I am planning on driving up from the lower mainland and go for at least 10 days end of July or August with a wife and two little ones. I am hoping to have a truck/camper soon or just rent a cabin. I am leaving the boat behind so the biggest draw would be remote and able to dig for clams/swim for crabs. Any info is beyond appreciated.
Cheers

I spent a few days in Masset last summer. The island east of Masset has any beaches with good road access. Razor clams on a very low tide. Don't think there are many hard shell clams.
They get crabs by wading in the surf although I found this impossible due to murky water from the rivers, but pot fishing outta me great. There are some very nice campsites south of Masset 15 miles or so out of Port Clements.
If I was spending all that money & time I would strongly consider taking a charter with Bret from fishmasset.

Thanks for the info boys!
I think your right dogbreath about it being too long for little ones. North island looks good. I'm not worried about salmon as I have a few trips already set up. Just wanna be able to forage a bit and somewhere a little of the beaten path.

The cost of taking a vehicle over there is formidable. Even worse if you take a trailer or fifth wheel or boat. Even for a family it could well be cheaper (and most certainly easier) to fly and rent a car.

Amazing trip! Did north island, My wife and I flew in with our diving gear, tent and stuff and met up with trucks, campers, boats etc. Sitka spruce lumber mills from the war years, submarine nets hung from cliffs to climb. History being taken over by moss and decay. By the time we picked up our cargo the bus to Charlotte City had left. A guy needed a car taken across and asked us, asked him if he wanted to see my identification and he just said "Where you going to go? It's an island!"

Back