Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Thanks for the info Pursuit. Hard to say what the shakers would be in the early summer of the east side of the gulf islands. If they were close to a foot they might be last year's juvenile Chinook from one of the SOG rivers. In May and June this year's East Coast VI Chinook would still be very small (<6") but some would be getting up to 8" by now. Coho tend to be bigger and could be in the 8" class by June.

We are doing a study on Cowichan Chinook ocean use in their first year so I am interested in reports of little guys from anywhere in the Southern Gulf islands at any time...

And well done on the 18! Tight lines

Anyone have any tips on fishing Pollier Pass lately? Used to be the salmon hot spot in the 80s, not sure what the action is like there now. Used to get ling off the bell boy as well.

Just picked up a nice 16 lb spring at pender bluffs on sockeye gear. Who says fishing is luck? No sox biting for us or others by the looks of it. Marking fish on the sounder tho

Anyone fish porlier lately? Heading to Thetis island for the weekend and thinking about heading to porlier, anyone have any luck there lately?

i'm going to porlier tomorrow.... not expecting to catch much, maybe a ling or two if i'm lucky... low expectations means easily pleased!!

Fished the Pender bluffs on Friday a.m. and rewarded with a couple of nice 5 pound Sockeye and a Pink but not a lot of action overall. Spoke to lots of guys who were skunked. Out this morning from 9 - 11:30 and no fish. At least 30 boats and didn't see anyone going for the net. What is more troubling is the water temperature. Showing 63 degrees. Have never seen in that warm - usually 54 -56 degree this time of year. I realize that the transducer is measuring the temp near the top and we have been having very warm weather out here but sure hope this isn't keeping the fish away?

Fished the cable area on Sunday and Picked up a 12 lb chum. Moved to collinson Pt on Mon night and landed a 15 lb spring and a 9 lb sockeye, all on sockeye gear @ 70'. Went to Pender Bluffs today and saw two different boats hook up, but both were lost. We fished four rods and worked through 30-90 ft and couldn't scrounge up anything, didnt see any nets out at all. 21 boats in total......lots of guys were gone by 9am. Couple of guys picked up a hat trick each of socks the day before. Bugs......if u care, we hooked into 4 small guys, 8-10" out front in the cable area.

Carpeweekend:-

I can tell you from years of diving experience that the surface temp of the saltwater around here does not extend very deep in open water.

It might be nice on top........but descend 10 feet or more and it soon cools off to it's regular temp.

Nice post lucky, time to slab n stack some soxs, buy some half pint jars
And we will be "Game On". New name by the way!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seafever, that's what I was hoping. Just usual fisherman paranoia by me when the fish aren't biting. Hoping that the cool morning and strong winds this morning changes things up a little. Hitting the bluffs tomorrow morning and will post any success or lack thereof.

Dang it. . . Fished Hard on Salamanca out wide a couple evenings this past weekend. Headed out Early Sunday Morning but the Northwest Wind proved too menacing with hard wind whipped waves coupled with an oncoming swell too much for a slow troll in the deep. Had a hard hit that evening but didn't last long. Nothin but mud sharks after that. Settled for a nice sized ling and fish tacos for dins. Retreated for collinson the next morning with a troll straight into the pass at 60'. Another good hit and run that was gone in 30 seconds . . . saw a couple pinks or socks jumping right off colly point in the distance. Gonna try and hit the bluffs tomorrow and come in off the point with a few tight lines.

got three lings near Porlier on Sunday. Smallest was 11lbs, biggest was 14.5lbs. Couldn't fish the outside in my little boat as it was nasty. Didn't hook any salmon or see anyone else hook into any either.

Tried Salamanca this afternoon and it was pretty ugly with a stiff chop and more weed and gradoo in the water than I've seen for years - it made the fishing really tough. Stuck it out for and hour and a half then moved into Collinson Point. Same weed issue - constantly pulling lines - nothing showing on the fish finder in either spot - packed it in half an hour after slack. Dang I'd like to see some fish around here!

out at the bluffs for this last week not a lot of nets out but a lot of boats out.saved a little deer today big black mutt chased a deer into the water it chased it for a 1/2 mile off shore i sprung into action went between the deer and the dog i yelled at the dog it turned around and went for shore. poor little deer was swimming for morsby island so i trolled outside of it and stayed by it till it got to shore back to the bluffs little deer was tierd but it made it. if lead was not so much that mutt would had a 10 lb cannon ball coming to it. I may have missed the bite but my guests sure were happy to see the deer make it back to shore.

Gaddd Dangit. . . started out at Collinson late mornin for a troll lotsa boats but didn't appear or sound like anybody got a thang. Moved outside to Salamanca but trolled the wrong current I believe on the edge. Had a hard bite and a run but was gone by the time the rod came out. . . Saw a guy on the way out who signalled he nailed one but he was in tight by the house on the rocks. . . tryed to end the day positive with a little jig but came up snake eyes. . .just a little rock cod tossed back. . . I didn't see any fish jumping or anything else positive. Sun was high and hot doh.

Just got home from a few days on Pender. Went out with my dad in law (Wed 6th) to fish Moresby for lings. Not a whiff, so we moved to the south west tip (Mackenzie Point???) to try our luck. Not a thing...even with bait we couldn't get a nibble. So I put the rod in the holder and let it sit just off bottom as we slowly drifted in 130 feet of water. I took out the spinner to cure the boredom. During the fifth cast I noticed the baited rod was doing a little dance......a very little dance. I put down the spinner and picked up the jig stick, and after confirming that something was still there I set the hook. Nothing special, at this point I'm thinking just another dog to keep things sorta interesting. BANG....this thing pulls???!! After it's third trip straight down...pulling good drag, I look to my father in law and mutter something about the biggest dog ever.......or we got a Halibut. He laughed! Neither of us had ever caught a Halibut before, so I only knew what I thought I knew from the inter web. Well, about ten minutes goes by and we have a 40lb Halibut laying in the boat! I've read that they are around, and now I can confirm they really are! I thought I was happy, the old man was thrilled.

Caught with a 8oz chrome jig, bottom hook removed and an assist hook added to the top (no snags that way) with a herring weaved to the hook.

Just got home from a few days on Pender. Went out with my dad in law (Wed 6th) to fish Moresby for lings. Not a whiff, so we moved to the south west tip (Mackenzie Point???) to try our luck. Not a thing...even with bait we couldn't get a nibble. So I put the rod in the holder and let it sit just off bottom as we slowly drifted in 130 feet of water. I took out the spinner to cure the boredom. During the fifth cast I noticed the baited rod was doing a little dance......a very little dance. I put down the spinner and picked up the jig stick, and after confirming that something was still there I set the hook. Nothing special, at this point I'm thinking just another dog to keep things sorta interesting. BANG....this thing pulls???!! After it's third trip straight down...pulling good drag, I look to my father in law and mutter something about the biggest dog ever.......or we got a Halibut. He laughed! Neither of us had ever caught a Halibut before, so I only knew what I thought I knew from the inter web. Well, about ten minutes goes by and we have a 40lb Halibut laying in the boat! I've read that they are around, and now I can confirm they really are! I thought I was happy, the old man was thrilled.

Caught with a 8oz chrome jig, bottom hook removed and an assist hook added to the top (no snags that way) with a herring weaved to the hook.

Nice one Rowdy. . . never heard of any Hali's around. . . excites the old bones to know they're about. Gonna give er another shot out there.

No fish all day Saturday, 9am until 6pm. Moresby at Fairfax then the bluffs. Then jiggled. Rockfish and a greenling released. Highlight was orcas in Bedwell harbour. ):

Back