Gulf Islands 2012

fortyfour

Maybe a good idea to have a general thread for the Gulf Islands as everyone knows how the fish move around a lot here and with a general area report we could all gain some insight as to what the fish are doin and where their at. One day its Thrasher the next its Porlier, then Tent, then Moresby and Coal Island, even Active Pass lights up somedays still especially in August. Anyone wanting to work as a team post your reports here and maybe we can all learn some patterns to whats working where and when.

Cheers all

Great idea fortyfour. I'm a 'summer' resident on galiano as well and will be making my first trip to the island within the next couple weeks. May and June have been pretty solid for me around Galiano and last year the pinks and sox where abundant around the penders late in the season. I've noticed in the past 5 years or so I've gone from being the only boat around (I ususally fish the active area) to having 1 or 2 or sometimes 5/6 others so clearly the word is getting out there that the gulf islands fishery is coming back. Hopefully the word doesn't get out too quickly but it's nice to have a little company out there

Planning a trip there in lat may or june to fish thraser rock. With the ferry rate as high as they are it make the gulf islands look better and better.

Nice morning out there today. Fished the cable area (galiano) and caught 3 springs. Released one little guy and then lost two keepers at the high slack.:mad: Then as the tide started ebbing we got a killer whale show. Probably about 8 or so id say with a couple biggies.

Great idea for a thread! I fish from Gabriola to Pender island a lot in the spring / summer.

Hey fortyfour, where is the cable area? Is it on the west side of Galiano?

Its on the georgia strt side between active pass and the middle of galiano. Where the submerged cables cross galiano between salamanca pt and pebble beach. There are a couple RCA areas to be aware of there.

went to the cable area off galiano yesterday, went out late and only fished for an couple hrs and got a nice keeper.

44 good idea i am a long time 32 year Secret islander ( just in front of prevost) and I too fish off collinson pt a lot of times by myself. I'll keep posting here. cheers

Finally got out to my favorite spot out porlier and into the strait today. Wind was nw15 and putting up a 3 or so ft chop, not very nice. Not a great tide day either but I was near the slack and thought I'd try a tack or two. Could only troll with the wind then beat back up and go again. Managed 4 tacks, got two Rockies sent them back and one barely legal spring then get out of there. Nice and flat and sunny when I got back inside, nice day out on the water.

nice work firelight! I was out for sunrise today...not quite as choppy but no springs around brought up 3 lings and a big rockfish that we released. not good tides so I had no expectations but sure a nice sunrise on the water.

April 8th fish report

Hey fellas. Really trying to keep this thread going. I spoke to two guys pulling out of crescent beach marina. One boat fished saturna and just washed their gear and the other boat fished the north side of galiano by the power lines and they had one strike, dragging right on the bottom. A slow day by all accts. I'm gonna go fish for lings today as I left my riggers at home. Too busy opening up the cabin and cleaning up from winter gales. Keep the reports coming. I told the two boats about the forum to try and add some new members

Its been a little slow for me with 2 hits on thurs and 2 hits on friday. Lost a nice one probably 12+ on thurs over by tent isl and kept one barely legal friday off the cable area on Galiano(hooked through the eye) Fished almost all day Sat and not 1 hit. Big tides and a bright full moon all night....

Fishing for Lings is fun but remember that the fishery is still closed and you can't retain any ling or rock cod until May 1st.

Cheers

I was thinking the same thing!
Dave

This thread is a great idea. I fish all around the gulf islands all year. It can be a good fishery and is always fun cruising the gulf islands. I was out on the weekend didn't fish hard. Washed the gear of the galiano cut for an hour nothing. i will keep posting any action i see or hear about.

Ya I was over on Galiano this past weekend as well and we washed our gear (1 chovie, 1 spoon) along bottom by the cables for a couple hours with no bites (other than cod/ling). A little early in the season but I suspect in the new few weeks things will pick up drastically. May is generally awesome for lots of action (usually illegal/barely legal springs) but we've have days with 10-20 hits so at least the action is fast and furious (gulf island style). June is my fave month for fishing as the fish are mostly keepers. Anyone been to Thrasher area lately? I heard there was a massive herring spawn up that way a week or so ago. Fishing up there is generally much more consistent than galiano but it's a run for me so I'll head up only when it's expected to be worth it.

Ya I was over on Galiano this past weekend as well and we washed our gear (1 chovie, 1 spoon) along bottom by the cables for a couple hours with no bites (other than cod/ling). A little early in the season but I suspect in the new few weeks things will pick up drastically. May is generally awesome for lots of action (usually illegal/barely legal springs) but we've have days with 10-20 hits so at least the action is fast and furious (gulf island style). June is my fave month for fishing as the fish are mostly keepers. Anyone been to Thrasher area lately? I heard there was a massive herring spawn up that way a week or so ago. Fishing up there is generally much more consistent than galiano but it's a run for me so I'll head up only when it's expected to be worth it.

Wait till May

Back