Guiding in August

Searun to clarify the gauge of the wiring and fusing were inadequate for the downriggers requirements not the downriggers malfunctioning correct?

Searun to clarify the gauge of the wiring and fusing were inadequate for the downriggers requirements not the downriggers malfunctioning correct?
Honestly do not know those details because I did not check their wiring to find out the gauge. Fire was in the section from the Scotty power connection plug to the battery.

Honestly do not know those details because I did not check their wiring to find out the gauge. Fire was in the section from the Scotty power connection plug to the battery.

Mmm interesting. Wonder what failure is. I have had at least two Scotty/Marinco plugs melt up pretty bad. I had one start smoking real good while fishing and it probably would have caught on fire if I had not unplugged it. My Downriggers are wired using Ancor tinned Marine 10 gauge wire to a positive and negative posts that are 2 feet from my batteries. None of the incidents have caused the 20 amp blade fuses to blow. A couple of days ago i had one rigged now getting power and I found the actual fuse holder had melted but the fuse was still good. I always unplug my Downriggers if the are not being used. I just don’t trust leaving them plugged in.

Here's what they are:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/14/32/Circuit_Breakers/285-Series

I guess that's why I hire a marine electrician to set up my system ;) To the un-initiated like me, they function like a fuse, but yes they are breakers. The safety feature is I can turn them off when not in use which kills any power to the Marinco plugs, which I'm thinking are the culprit in these fires. However, not knowing the precise cause (Scotty rigger or the Marinco plug) decided not to take chances.

Back