Guide busted poaching. Really !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

poacheralerts

This seems to becoming more & more common these days. The ones who should be setting examples, preserving our natural resources and most of all abiding by the rules set out by DFO, getting busted for breaking the rules. Makes me sick!! Guides are the first ones to cry when certain fish/crab closures occur. I think his &3500 fine and year without crabbing is a joke. He shouldn't be allowed to guide at all!!!
16 crabs, 12 over your limit and lies to a fisheries officer !!!

He runs a business, he's sponsored by a major tackle company according to his website. I'm shocked they haven't stripped his sponsorship.

Thank you to the CO's for doing what they do to preserve our natural resources & catching guys like this.

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/fishing-guide-fined-for-over-crabbing-1.16131422

Last edited:
That's why these a$$hats do it,cause the benefits outweigh the fines, and there is hardly any enforcement. Congrats to the co's and dfo officers that do thiswork

Copy/pasting my reply from the 200 other threads poacheralerts spammed this link in:

This kind of thing happens far too often with local guides. Not to say that theyre all like this, bus as the saying goes one bad apple spoils the bunch. Truthfully though there are more than a couple bad apples. How many social media posts from guides do you see with 3 guests holding 4 halibut, or standing in front of 8 chinooks? Youd be pretty naive to think that these guides are writing these fish on their licences all the time, if at all.

Sportfishers and guides alike are supposed to be stewards of the land and of the resources, and while many in both sectors do their part, Id estimate that theyre still the minority. Just take a look out at Swiftsure Bank on any given day and you can count 10 boats fishing a half mile inside the closure. These boats all have chartplotters, theyre not dumb guys, they just choose to push the boundaries in hopes of getting that fat tip, or in the sportfishers case, that fat fish.

Take the guide that got dinged at the hump last season. Trolling barbed gear behind flashers at 150' in 300' of water. When he had his day in court he said he was fishing for black cod. Yeah Im sure your customers are paying top dollar to go load up on 2lb shitfish, and surely it was just coincidence that youre doing so in known chinook territory.

Anyways, back to Mr.Crabby - what does one person need 16 dungeness crab for anyways? Chances are hes probably selling them. The sad reality is that this trend will continue until DFO increases their presence. So for now all we can do is stay vigilant and report any violations we happen to witness.

I personally think the guide should have received a far higher penalty. I don't believe their is an actual guide "licence" in the saltwater, at least their wasn't in the old days. Otherwise I'd say his licence should have been suspended. There are technical errors and omissions that can be made by anyone when it comes to our very complicated regulations. Then there are the deliberate poaching violations that are far more serious and harmful to the resource. No guide should ever be involved in deliberate poaching. Mistakes can and do happen when it comes to our complex regulations, but this was obviously no simple mistake on the guides part. Deliberate poaching by a guide should be slapped down hard with severe fines and prohibitions. This was far too light a penalty in my opinion.

Copy/pasting my reply from the 200 other threads poacheralerts spammed this link in:

This kind of thing happens far too often with local guides. Not to say that theyre all like this, bus as the saying goes one bad apple spoils the bunch. Truthfully though there are more than a couple bad apples. How many social media posts from guides do you see with 3 guests holding 4 halibut, or standing in front of 8 chinooks? Youd be pretty naive to think that these guides are writing these fish on their licences all the time, if at all.

Sportfishers and guides alike are supposed to be stewards of the land and of the resources, and while many in both sectors do their part, Id estimate that theyre still the minority. Just take a look out at Swiftsure Bank on any given day and you can count 10 boats fishing a half mile inside the closure. These boats all have chartplotters, theyre not dumb guys, they just choose to push the boundaries in hopes of getting that fat tip, or in the sportfishers case, that fat fish.

Take the guide that got dinged at the hump last season. Trolling barbed gear behind flashers at 150' in 300' of water. When he had his day in court he said he was fishing for black cod. Yeah Im sure your customers are paying top dollar to go load up on 2lb shitfish, and surely it was just coincidence that youre doing so in known chinook territory.

Anyways, back to Mr.Crabby - what does one person need 16 dungeness crab for anyways? Chances are hes probably selling them. The sad reality is that this trend will continue until DFO increases their presence. So for now all we can do is stay vigilant and report any violations we happen to witness.

There's a CR facebook page that often has crab for sale, makes me shake my head everytime. Could be legit but I smell a rat. Throw the book at this guy, he should be held to a higher standard, good bye boat and license.

There's a CR facebook page that often has crab for sale, makes me shake my head everytime. Could be legit but I smell a rat. Throw the book at this guy, he should be held to a higher standard, good bye boat and license.

We may not see eye to eye on much 555 but we do on this. Lifetime ban from guiding would be appropriate too

Well it seems Ive upset at least one of the members on this forum, who will remain nameless. So just to clear the air, I wasnt trying to single anybody out with my post, just stating the facts as I see them. I know there are many guides and sporties that fish according to the rules and represent our sectors properly, but the unfortunate flipside of the coin is that there are also many who dont.

Im not trying to make enemies or stir up a shitstorm, but Im also not going to turn a blind eye to those abusing the resource. Sorry if Ive offended anybody. :)

He was banned from crab fishing, possessing crab gear outside of his home and holding or applying for personal or commercial fishing licences, other than for tidal sport.
Does this means he's banned from guiding?

Well it seems Ive upset at least one of the members on this forum, who will remain nameless. So just to clear the air, I wasnt trying to single anybody out with my post, just stating the facts as I see them. I know there are many guides and sporties that fish according to the rules and represent our sectors properly, but the unfortunate flipside of the coin is that there are also many who dont.

Im not trying to make enemies or stir up a shitstorm, but Im also not going to turn a blind eye to those abusing the resource. Sorry if Ive offended anybody. :)

No need to apologize. If anyone is offended perhaps they should look in the mirror?

Not gonna lie, Crabby's been a bit of a hothead at times out at Kitty so not a surprise. Last year his boat ran me off when I had the right of way, he had 7 people on his boat and nobody at the helm resetting gear while I was solo. Very little respect there.

Tourism is a industry and knowen to be dirty.sportfishing/hunting is not part of tourism and should be consulted as individuals as to how to harvest.you whatch a rod for bites .whatch your traps aswell .

This was on the DFO website. I find the quick facts listed a bit disturbing especially bullet #5.

Campbell River fishing guide fined $3,500 for over-possession of crab and making false statements to a fishery officer
News Release
From Fisheries and Oceans Canada

CAMPBELL RIVER, B.C. – On March 20, 2017, Christian Steinbach, owner and operator of Crabby’s Fishing Charters, pleaded guilty in Campbell River Provincial Court to violations of the Fisheries Act. The Honourable Justice Doherty imposed a total penalty of $3,500: a $1,500 fine for over-possession of crab and $2,000 for making false statements to a Fishery Officer. Judge Doherty also prohibited Mr. Steinbach from engaging in crab fishing, and various other activities related to crab fishing, for one year, plus ordered that he forfeit the crab traps seized as evidence.

Commercial, recreational, and First Nations harvest Pacific Dungeness crab from Alaska to California. Management of the recreational fishery differs from that for the commercial harvest as the emphasis is on maintaining productive stocks through catch limits. Excess harvesting threatens conservation. It also could result in management changes or closures, diminish the significant economic benefit from the fishery to coastal communities, recreational fisheries, commercial harvesters and tourism, and threaten the traditional food source for Indigenous people.

The Government of Canada is committed to safeguarding the long-term health and productivity of Canada’s fisheries resources, and the habitat that supports them, for generations to come. Fisheries and Oceans Canada has a mandate to protect and conserve marine resources and to prosecute offenders under the Fisheries Act. It ensures and promotes compliance with the Act and other laws and regulations through a combination of land, air, and sea patrols, as well as education and awareness activities. As part of Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s work to end illegal activity, the Department asks the public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

Quick Facts
  • On November 18, 2016, during a routine vehicle patrol, Mr. Steinbach was observed alone on his vessel fishing crabs in Oyster Bay, near Campbell River, B.C.

• Fishery officers kept Mr. Steinbach under observation while he pulled in his traps and proceeded to a nearby marina to dock.

• Mr. Steinbach was found to be in possession of 16 live crabs, which is well above his legal fishing limit of four crabs per day.

• Mr. Steinbach’s sentence included a one-year ban on each of the following: crab fishing; possessing crab gear outside his home; possessing crab unless legally purchased; being with anyone crab fishing, and holding or applying for any personal or commercial crab fishing licences, except for Tidal Sport.

• Mr. Steinbach, a seasoned fishing guide with over 30 years of fishing experience throughout the West Coast, has previous convictions for violations of the Fisheries Act.

What a joke... Guys been busted before and they give him another slap on the wrist!

Why not make a example out of Him and throw the book at him (take his truck and boat not his traps). I highly doubt if this will stop him from doing it again.

I saw on facecrack today his ride was podded and repowered with twin G2 200's. Guiding life must be good!

What a joke... Guys been busted before and they give him another slap on the wrist!

Why not make a example out of Him and throw the book at him (take his truck and boat not his traps). I highly doubt if this will stop him from doing it again.

Bit excessive for 12 extra crab to say take his truck and boat, holy crap. If he had 100 crab then maybe but otherwise simmer down there.

I agree with EXfly guy why is someone who has a history of this being given a break he is a thief that is stealing a resource that belongs to everyone and he is also a liar ! throw the book at him and others like him and maybe incidents like this wouldn't be so blatantly disregarded by his peers ? @SerengetiGuide really you think a multiply offender should be let off easy he is a professional guide for *** sakes give your head a shake

Shouldn't have his boat and truck taken away...150+k in fines essentially for 12 crab. Give your head a shake.

I'm not saying what he got was ok but jesus what exfly suggested is ridiculous.

point is its not his first conviction ! so he is obviously a slow learner and maybe taking away his boat and guiding privledges would get his attention . In my world I have a very special place for people like him and its not very pleasant

Its too bad there wasn't a "sliding scale" wrt repeat offenses. !st one small fine. Second one large fine and/or small bit jail. Third time - seizure. 4th - well throw the book at him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back