Guide boat down off Tofino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippen

Apparently a guide boat has gone down off Cleland which is northwest of Tofino while anchored up.

Two dead.

RIP.....sad news.

I heard 5 on board and 2 deceased.

Let confirmed details come out publically before posting. They have only released the info posted below.

Full info released now. Good work by the locals involved on saving the survivors.

Last edited:
5 people pulled from waters off Tofino after catamaran sinks
Victims transported to hospital, rescuers say they were in the water 1.5 hours

Five people have been rescued from the waters off Vargas Island, near Tofino, B.C. after the 28-foot catamaran they were on took on water and sank, says the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria.

A distress call came in around 1:20 p.m. PT on Sunday. The five victims were in the water until around 2:50 p.m., but the centre cannot confirm if the victims were wearing survival suits or even life jackets.

There is no word on their condition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nd-catamaran-sinks-5-people-rescued-1.4092880

any info on what actually happened? not too be morbid but learning from mistakes is human nature.

those cats "fall" off waves when in the trench. down right scary to be in. IMHO

so sad .....
condolences to the families
and praises to all involved in the rescue .....

Almost 10' seas and winds over 30kmh at the time according to the bouy reports. If your anchored in those conditions for halibut... Not much more to say. Sad stuff

Extremely sad indeed. One thing I don't understand is how they could have been in the water for an hour and a half, if the CG boat deployed in 4 mins of the distress call as stated. It doesn't seem that far away from Tofino.

My brother is pretty sure its one of his good friends. Lives in alberta, and does charters on a cat out of tofino. They had problems pulling up anchor last time he was out with the guy. Scary stuff. Not going to really speculate too much here but if it was the same guy, it could have very well been the cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back