Greenling & flounder

Hey folks! Been scouring the web watching YouTube videos on fileting greenling and flounder and how to eat these guys.
I grew up on walleye, pike and perch. Watching greenling fileting looks a lot like walleye. Any of you had both? What's the flavour comparison?
Flounder is pretty much sole, right? I've eaten a ton of sole, yet I've read guys here talk about an iodine flavour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starry flounder are commonly caught off docks or the shore...BUT they can have a heavy iodine taste when cooked.. so most people in the know-- avoid them. The rest of the flat guys are pretty good ( but not the arrowtooth as pointed out )when you learn how to fillet them. I do not like cooking them whole or with the skin on.. imo it changes the taste , and not for the best. Contrary to what Dogbreath said-- I do find the greenling are great eating as long as you bleed them and ice them when caught .

Walleye is tastier than Greenling which has a dense flesh best suited to soup.

This is not entirely true. I can't speak for it's comparison to walleye as I have never tried it before. However, greenling is most certainly not "best suited to soup". Are you maybe thinking of Cabezon perhaps? Greenling has a texture closer to trout or flounder and tastes like ling cod(after all it is the smaller cousin of lingcod). It makes excellent fish and chips, pan fry, tacos, ceviché, and many many more styles of preparation.

Thanks so much!!! So starry and arrow tooth = bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starry flounder is excellent table fare. Arrow tooth though, they are indeed horrible!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not entirely true. I can't speak for it's comparison to walleye as I have never tried it before. However, greenling is most certainly not "best suited to soup". Are you maybe thinking of Cabezon perhaps? Greenling has a texture closer to trout or flounder and tastes like ling cod(after all it is the smaller cousin of lingcod). It makes excellent fish and chips, pan fry, tacos, ceviché, and many many more styles of preparation.

yea i was thinking the same thing... very similar to ling cod and delicious for fish and chips

While trying to compliment the greenling you drag the poor cabazon down? That seems unfair. They all have their flavours and some people will like one more than the other. My best suggestion is to be knowledgeable of what's in season and if you catch something you are allowed to keep, keep one. Take that one home and eat it. If you like it, go back out and catch more. I've heard stories of people catching limits of fish and then throwing them all out cause they don't like it. My only issue with greenling is that there is a high by-catch of rockfish. Most things I've dragged out of the ocean I've thought to be pretty tasty. Try them for yourself and let us know what you think.

Haha dragging it down eh?! No. I have heard many many times that cabezon is best suited to soups/gumbo. I have tried a few things with it and my favorite so far is steamed in 2"x3/4" pieces, dipped in garlic butter. It makes a great substitute for crab. Cabezon is great, it just has a different texture that a lot of people do not enjoy as much as others, where as greenling has a very light texture and is very versatile. They are both incredibly mild in flavor and will literally suck up any flavors they are cooked in, like a sponge.

use pieces bait for greenlingand there is no rockfish by catch,dont jig for them same for flounders use bits of bait

Back