grady white pilot house project

iDg9OU66rtDwC.gif

Gonna look cool. Great color, just gotta watch coming into port. Wold luv to know over time how that paint holds up.....

Thanks a lot guys its been a long road but we are getting it there. We didn't actually paint the boat ourselves we had Duane the owner of marine west in squamish where our boat has been kept put color on it. Painting Awlgrip is an art that would take a long time to perfect but Duane did it without breaking a sweat, we just mixed paint and held air lines. We are now contemplating adding a splash of dark metallic silver/grey from the rub rail down to the fisrt hard line on the hull. This would just be to add some style and match the new silver anodized window frames, what do you guys think?

As for the paint, it should have no problems holding up this is what it is designed to do. Almost every mega yatch is painted with Awlgrip. My uncle had his whaler painted with it 7 years ago and it still look amazing. only need to wash, no waxing a and best of all no chalking or fading!

I can't tell from the pic's but did you do the pilot house black as well?

The hull looks amazing!

Sorry, caught up on the thread and saw that the top sides are white.

Very cool restore Mike. The hard work is paying off. Can't wait to see the finished product.

We are now contemplating adding a splash of dark metallic silver/grey from the rub rail down to the fisrt hard line on the hull. This would just be to add some style and match the new silver anodized window frames, what do you guys think?
I do think that this will look really good. It would be a good transition from the white topside (it is still white??) to the black hull, which BTW looks sick!!! Can't wait to see some photos of her in the sunlight when she is done!

Oh Yeah, to add that she is now a Grady "Black";).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the project is coming along nicely! Right now we are just getting ready to mask the topside for its eggshell white paint job, the pilot house will be white as well. Still considering adding to the hull color scheme, either siver or possibly a satin balck stripe down to the first hard line. The non-skid on the this boat will be sprayed on griptex in awlgrip moondust paint. I WANT TO GO FISHING!!!

Just because its soo damn shiney!!!! Also included the window layout for the hard top, widows will go to the inside edge of the yellow tap. White paint is going on the topside tomorrow evening! enjoy

20130508_202020.jpg20130508_202352.jpg20130508_202420.jpg20130508_202440.jpg

Oh man.... I can't wait to see the finished product!!! That looks awesome Mike. Great work you guys are doing. Congrats.

Topside paint is on BAM! Pretty stoked with the results, I am not sure if we can even use it now as it looks soo new. Took just over 2 gallons of AWLcraft 2000 inculding converter, reducer and paint to give full opacity in 3 coats. Color is eggshell white. The last step in the painting process is mask out for non skid. We will be spraying that on with griptex and AWLgrip in a moondust color. I ordered the Windows yesterday from motion windows in Vancouver Washington, they are going to be mitered corners painted with black painted frames. The only bad part is the 5 week delivery on the windows, oh well i'm sure they will be worth the wait. Plan is to have the boat in the water for the end of the month before my brother goes guiding.

Attachments

• 20130510_214806.jpg
    20130510_214806.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 20130510_214837.jpg
    20130510_214837.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 569
  • 20130510_214951.jpg
    20130510_214951.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 583
So we were bored waiting for paint to dry last week and decided that the boat needed a pulpit as I don't want the anchor swinging into the new black paint. We built a female mould out of melamine and arborite. It was built with epoxy and 1700 biax glass and a 1.5 inch thick exterior plywood core. We are going to spray it with awlgrip in the the next day or so.

Attachments

• 20130513_113538.jpg
    20130513_113538.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 444
  • 20130513_213159.jpg
    20130513_213159.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 448
  • 20130513_213214.jpg
    20130513_213214.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 443
Nicely done mikep....no f'n around on this project! Thanks for the updates...

Do it right and do it once is our our motto on this one, I don't want to look at this boat and be like............"damn I shoulda done this or that." Just wait untill you seel the griptex non-skid going to be insane spent like 16 hours yesterday with fine line tape masking it off. Our painter is going to mix the griptex beads into the paint and spray the whole mess though his gun for that super clean look.

That would look on my boat.... :)
Man I cant wait to see the finished product, this boat is going to be so SICK!!

Deryk,
you can use mine as a template I have the factory one
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back