Got my new to me boat wet.

Steve95

Finally had a chance to go out for a little familiarizing with my new boat. Even got to try out my new 2106 Scotty too, without losing any lead, lol. I tried various trolling speeds of 1.8-3 mph as well as a couple of different flashers and lure options but no nibbles. Was more of a new boat orientation but I figured I should at least have a line out as I puttered around trying to figure the boat out. So how fast should I be trolling ? And is there any guideline as to depth ? Pretty green at this, lol

I go by downrigger angle as your speed will depend on if you're trolling with/against any current. Usually an angle around 45 degrees is good to go by. Sometimes it's more if I'm fishing on bottom for winter chinooks, but it's also less if we're fishing shallow. Anywhere around 2.0-3.0 mph speed over ground works for most salmon. Coho and Chums are usually a little different when targeting the specifically. As fas as depths, the times of year/day and each area is different. There's so many factors that go into it. I'd go through the archives of fishing reports on here and find out what area you fish, time of year, and see what people are having success on in regards to depth/gear. Also worth reading Island Salmon Fisherman. It's a few years old but some good information for sure. And use your fish finder, if you see that you're going through feed, drop your gear below or above it. And it's always best to stay on the shallow side when first starting out. Once you're more comfortable with your setup, try going deeper.

Finally had a chance to go out for a little familiarizing with my new boat. Even got to try out my new 2106 Scotty too, without losing any lead, lol. I tried various trolling speeds of 1.8-3 mph as well as a couple of different flashers and lure options but no nibbles. Was more of a new boat orientation but I figured I should at least have a line out as I puttered around trying to figure the boat out. So how fast should I be trolling ? And is there any guideline as to depth ? Pretty green at this, lol

I hope it wasn’t this piece of junk;)

7D07915C-99B0-4A13-9F78-FE6B5F232C91.png

You might want to consider hiring a guide that operates on your local waters. If the guide is any good, you'll gain a tonne of very valuable information that would take you ages to grind out.

Find the bait.

Even once you're all dialed in, it's not uncommon to only get one hit in several hours (at least in my area).

Beginner's luck is real. Put in the time, do a bunch of things wrong, and you'll catch.

Tight lines!

If you get sick of these jerks making fun of your boat, you could always look to upgrade to something like a 16' Fiberform trihull with a custom cabin on the front... Of course youd have to kick in a couple bucks to make it a fair trade but the option is always on the table!

Nanoose Bay. Took my first trip out of French Creek, next will probably go to Schooner Cove. Both are about same distance for me. Once I get a handle on the electronics and a few setups I'm sure I will get the hang of it. I found a few bait balls already yesterday but was too busy playing with electronics and downriggers on the boat to focus much on fishing. I've done lots of freshwater fishing. My only saltwater experience is a couple of west coast and vacation charter trips but never learned much, just took my turn reeling them in. Also did some saltwater surfcasting and rock fishing many years ago in the UK. I've had a few glass and aluminum fishing and ski boats too but this time I wanted a welded aluminum HT so I won't be upgrading for a while. Haha

To be fair, I only got two keepers in pretty much my first twenty times out fishing in salt water(in Vancouver). Didn’t even get a bite until those two keepers but still had a lot of fun. I don’t feel like I’m doing anything too different now, but the bites come a lot more often so maybe the technique is a bit a more refined. Find some tackle that works or a depth that works, or head over to a different location. You’ll get the bites if the fish are there. If they aren’t there, they aren’t there.

Nice looking boat. I’ll trade you my 1980 18’ Starcraft fibreglass boat as long as you can chip in a bit of cash into the deal.

Last edited:
As others mentioned it's not so much your SOG but the angle of the dangle. Also depends what # cannonballs your running. A 45 degree with a 15# ball may work well but if you decide to run 18 or 20's you have to adjust accordingly. I used to run 15's but after fishing with 20's I can't go back.

To be fair, I only got two keepers in pretty much my first twenty times out fishing in salt water(in Vancouver). Didn’t even get a bite until those two keepers but still had a lot of fun. I don’t feel like I’m doing anything too different now, but the bites come a lot more often so maybe the technique is a bit a more refined. Find some tackle that works or a depth that works, or head over to a different location. You’ll get the bites if the fish are there. If they aren’t there, they aren’t there.

Nice looking boat. I’ll trade you my 1980 18’ Starcraft fibreglass boat as long as you can chip in a bit of cash into the deal.

100% agree. The fish seem to know. Like women they give it up to a confident guy

I only got one bite yesterday but I got the fish. Unfortunately wasn't what I was after, it was a rockfish, so I got to try out the descender, pretty slick. I did get to spend more time using my downriggers etc and trying some different tackle setups, as well as figuring out my position on the chart. Was a little rougher out but pleasantly surprised how smooth my boat rides powered up.

Ok 3rd try, lol. Figured out how to use (kind of} the autopilot so was able to focus a bit more on fishing. 6 chinook but the biggest was only 60cm so no keepers. The others were smaller. Tried a few different flasher/lure combos. Does anyone know where I can find a pic showing all the different lures and names. Found a smaller lure in my collection that was getting hit every time but don't know what it's called

Ok 3rd try, lol. Figured out how to use (kind of} the autopilot so was able to focus a bit more on fishing. 6 chinook but the biggest was only 60cm so no keepers. The others were smaller. Tried a few different flasher/lure combos. Does anyone know where I can find a pic showing all the different lures and names. Found a smaller lure in my collection that was getting hit every time but don't know what it's called

Why don't you take a picture of the lure and post it? I am pretty sure these fishing geeks will get you your answer....

https://www.silverhorde.com/kingfisher.html go here and see if its on there.

Back