Gorge Herring

fishspoon

Wondering, how did the people make out into herring jigging off Gorge canal in Victoria? I haven't seen anyone fishing on the bridge. Gorge was once full of herring 20 years ago, Everyone had their buckets filled up with herring. The seals, birds and minks took big feast on schools of herring.

I heard the herring were backed up, and maybe turned off, by the building of the bridge. Someone mentioned fishing in the harbour was better than normal and they guessed it was due to the herring piling up downstream of the construction. Are there spawning areas all throughout the Gorge or just up in Portage Inlet?

herring usually spawn on eelgrass; fishing can be good where you find schools off the waterfront, alas the Gorge run has slowed to a trickle...:(
There still could be odd school around; Esquimalt, Fleming beach; places that still have eelgrass or an abundance of kelp may draw them in, maybe time to try an exploratory cut plug...;)

If those fish don't want to or can't pass the construction, then it is likely that those creosote pilings around the inner harbour will end up catching and killing off this year's roe. Should we be hitting up the construction co's and municipalities doing both bridge jobs to quickly get some wrapping material and work parties together and start wrapping pilings around the inner harbour?

If those fish don't want to or can't pass the construction, then it is likely that those creosote pilings around the inner harbour will end up catching and killing off this year's roe. Should we be hitting up the construction co's and municipalities doing both bridge jobs to quickly get some wrapping material and work parties together and start wrapping pilings around the inner harbour?

yep habitat protection is paramount...in any species; I believe our forum buddies Andrew P & Dave S where working on a solution?

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-Study&highlight=Andrew+herring+spawn+project

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious here ...please not trying to stir a pot. As far as eel grass goes I have it all over my bay where my cabin is and it seems to die off in the fall and returns in late spring, how does this help the herring or their roe? At this time of year it is just little stubs not even an inch high. The roe is all over the rocks but nothing on the stubs of grass.

Septic system overflow acidity from winter rains killing it in your bay?

Just curious here ...please not trying to stir a pot. As far as eel grass goes I have it all over my bay where my cabin is and it seems to die off in the fall and returns in late spring, how does this help the herring or their roe? At this time of year it is just little stubs not even an inch high. The roe is all over the rocks but nothing on the stubs of grass.

I believe the eel grass protects the juvenile herring by providing cover. It is a preferred habitat. no cover, and even the ones that do hatch quickly get eaten.

That has been a problem affecting the Saanich Inlet in some areas. Since the new city sewers were installed in North Saanich, the eelgrass is more robust

Septic system overflow acidity from winter rains killing it in your bay?

Um nope I am all alone and no septic system, I have a holding system which gets pumped out annually. I did inquire with the ministry of environment and they explained that eel grass cycled similar to regular lawn grass. It goes dormant during the winter months and returns in spring. As far as I can tell everything is normal just am curious as to what eel grass does to promote herring roe. I see the benefits when the herring are born the grass is full and protects the all the immatures from pedators. Even the mackrel give up the hunt in there.

must be wizards

Ya thats sorta what I thought, the next peace love and granola that comes in my bay to debate the health of my eel grass I'll cast a magic spell on them which discolors there eyes. Thats there answer as well. The grass has almost doubled in area the past three years. The herring roe seems to be the same it all sticks to the rocks and dock.

Back