Good rod/reel combo for steelhead?

Hoochiebob

Trying my hand at steelhead this winter,but don't have the rod and reel to do it. I will be starting with jewellery but want to try the indicator/egg method too.
What rod and reel would be your choice? Not talking dream setups, more like noob setups. Best value for dollar? That kind of thing.

Shimano Convergence 10.6 medium action if you are chucking some hardware, otherwise for float fishing I prefer a slower action. For the price, you can't beat these rods. I don't have too much to say about reels, have always found my Abu to be durable and reliable.

Abus are good because you can work on them yourself they're pretty simple mechanically.

If budget is a concern look for used gear-don't buy junk like Okuma though.

The day before yesterday,I would have recommended a Fenwick HMX 11' triggerstick with an Ambasseduer Record 60 HC,
but I blew up my HMX yesterday on a hog chum in the river. Headed down to Trotac in Vic and bought a Shimano
Technium 10'6" triggerstick for $125.00. Good deal,as they're regularly $185.00. Broke it in today and I really like it,in
fact better than the Fenwick. The ABU,as mentioned earlier, is easy to work on and maintain,and an exellent choice.

I recommend the hmx canadian methods 10-20lb 10'6" trigger rod and shimano reel like: Cardiff/Calcutta. Spin 12lb on it and enjoy. Cardiff and hmx will cost you $225, pretty hard to beat. I have 7 hmx rods and they are great value rods. I got mine at Tyee marine and they are great to deal with, if you break a rod they exchange over the counter for $20. Loomis/sage are better but for the price they are great.

However, my favorite multiplying reel for Steelheading is the Abu revo low profile, with 6-1 retrieve. Match this reel with a okuma sst 8-17lb 10ft rod and you have a very light weight setup that you can fish all day without getting that sore arm/shoulder thing! Plus, it only costs $325 all in.

The best Steelheading spinning setup is a hmx eagle gt 9'6" rod with a shimano 3000 series reel and 10lb nano spun on it. You won't regret that purchase. Great for jigs and hardware fishing. $140!

I recommend the hmx canadian methods 10-20lb 10'6" trigger rod and shimano reel like: Cardiff/Calcutta. Spin 12lb on it and enjoy. Cardiff and hmx will cost you $225, pretty hard to beat. I have 7 hmx rods and they are great value rods. I got mine at Tyee marine and they are great to deal with, if you break a rod they exchange over the counter for $20. Loomis/sage are better but for the price they are great.

However, my favorite multiplying reel for Steelheading is the Abu revo low profile, with 6-1 retrieve. Match this reel with a okuma sst 8-17lb 10ft rod and you have a very light weight setup that you can fish all day without getting that sore arm/shoulder thing! Plus, it only costs $325 all in.

The best Steelheading spinning setup is a hmx eagle gt 9'6" rod with a shimano 3000 series reel and 10lb nano spun on it. You won't regret that purchase. Great for jigs and hardware fishing. $140!
X2 on the ABu revo low profile reel. Silky smooth and light.

I'm seeing a lot of names I would expect to see on the chuck. I might be on the right path with my HMX 10' 6" although I dont know if a med. heavy action is too much. Does it need to be a triggerstick?
totally illiterate when it comes to levelwinds. Sounds like Abu Garcia is the winner. What is the preference on line type? Have heard braid can be used,but fear that one backlash on the stuff can ruin your day.
Really appreciate the response from all of you,and forgive me for the onslaught of questions,but I would trust the advice of forum members here over a salesman anyday-that's what makes this site so great!

And thanks for the offer Dave, but I already have a Deadwa spinner. Sounds like a bargain price tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
A backlash can ruin a morning no matter what type of line you're using lol. IMO Don't use braid if you're new, go with maxima ultragreen. I use #15 ultragreen which is good for both salmon and steel on vancouver island. My rod is also a med/heavy, but you could go lighter. You need the trigger if you're using a levelwind...

Check out Westshore sportfishing, they are closing shop.. They had some trigger rods still for sale, and reels that won't break the bank..

Good advice on sticking with 15lb. Ultragreen for a newbie with a baitcaster. It will take you a while to get used to
casting with one,and some backlashes are inevinable.Do yourself a favour and pick up a Rapala fishing lanyard kit.
They're at Canadian Tire and have a good set of line clippers that have a special hook like tool built in to them that's
handy as hell for unwinding birdsnests. The first year I had my Abu Record 60,it saved me yards and yards of line and alot
of downtime as well.

Good advice on sticking with 15lb. Ultragreen for a newbie with a baitcaster. It will take you a while to get used to
casting with one,and some backlashes are inevinable.Do yourself a favour and pick up a Rapala fishing lanyard kit.
They're at Canadian Tire and have a good set of line clippers that have a special hook like tool built in to them that's
handy as hell for unwinding birdsnests. The first year I had my Abu Record 60,it saved me yards and yards of line and alot
of downtime as well.

Here is the way to clear a backlash. Picking at it with a hook can make it worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc&sns=em

Custom Built 12.5' Rogue - appx $ 1,000.00 (give or take a hun)
Islander Reel with Hi-Speed German Aircraft Bearings - appx $ 450.00

Chilly.jpg

Consolation_2.jpg

1,000+ Steelhead CAN'T Be Wrong!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

^^^ those must be some incredible components as I didn't think Rogue blanks were that much...

The recommendations provided are all bang on - buy yourslef a $100 rod in the 10-11' range and a decent level wind reel that will hold ~250 yrds of 15lb test. You'll be fine.

It's the gear that will cost you money...

^^^ those must be some incredible components as I didn't think Rogue blanks were that much....

They are :)
Rod was built shortly after Gary Loomis' nephew took over Rogue's line. "New" then 12' river rod butt, 8 weight salt-water fly rod tip. Custom guides & corks, incredible wraps and a very cool Steelhead Hologram just above the cork. A Sweetie for sure! :cool:

Obviously don't need such a set-up to catch them, and some good advise here in that regard. Sometimes though it is Fun to Mess With The Best! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Back