gear case oil

scott craven

I noticed when draining the gear case oil on my Honda that
the oil was milky so obviously water is getting in.
I guess there is a seal leaking somewhere ...
Anybody know how to fix the problem ?

[?]

Yep...!
Need to change the seals and I wouldn't do it unless you have/ or get get the service manual! Best investment I ever made! :)

Where's IFL, when you need him? :D

Pop the geargase off,put it in water, and put the comressed air to one of the fill holes set at around 5PSI. The bubbles will come in via one of the screws, the drive shaft, shift rod or prop shaft seal. Or for $40 bux, you can just replace 'em all. I polished off a geargase to the tune of 6K years ago, so take care of it!

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Thanks guys, think i'll get it serviced.
by the way, the oil was only slightly discolored.
I might try replacing the drain plug gaskets.
do you use an impact driver or regular screwdriver to
seat the drain plugs ?

Anytime you get water in the lower end of an outboard or sterndrive, first thing to look for is fishing line behind the prop.This is a very common cause and mono can cut a seal like a knife.!
Not sure about outboards but mercruiser uses two seals, one to keep water out and one to keep oil in. Most times it`s the outer seal that keeps water out that gets cut.
If you find this was the cause, be sure to check the propshaft for buildup of melted mono or it will take out the new seal right away !!

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Thanks guys, think i'll get it serviced.
by the way, the oil was only slightly discolored.
I might try replacing the drain plug gaskets.
do you use an impact driver or regular screwdriver to
seat the drain plugs ?
The biggest regular screwdriver that you can fine!
If you are going to take it in and have it serviced, just have them pressure test it. That will tell immediately! The discoloration just might be an additive that was added ? Normally if a seal is bad... it is "really" milky!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie
[
Where's IFL, when you need him? :D
I love it! I really like a good sense of humor! I think if we ever met Charlie, we'd get along great. Cheers.[:p]

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back