GARMIN USERS

wavetamer

How are the users out there liking the garmin chart system for our coast , is it as good or better then the systems used in Simrad or lowrance

I really like both my Garmin hardware and the recently launched Active Captain application but I am looking forward to the impact of Garmin's late 2017 purchase of Navionics and Garmin's as they will be incorporating the Navionics content into Garmin's charting. My understanding is that it should happen later in 2018 and that it should take Garmin's chart detailing from being inferior to being as good as or superior to the competition.

I really like both my Garmin hardware and the recently launched Active Captain application but I am looking forward to the impact of Garmin's late 2017 purchase of Navionics and Garmin's as they will be incorporating the Navionics content into Garmin's charting. My understanding is that it should happen later in 2018 and that it should take Garmin's chart detailing from being inferior to being as good as or superior to the competition.

So does that mean we all need to buy new maps to get the good new stuff?

Good question. If I understood correctly, the Garmin booth at the boat show suggested it would be pushed thru as an update versus being pushed thru only on newly purchased Maps. From what I understood, Garmin is looking to make their $$$ off of the purchase by improving the Garmin product and converting more boats to Garmin and they are intending to retain the Navionics brand and continuing to separately sell Navionics product. I think I would want to hear that reconfirmed by Garmin head office though before I decided to spend $$$ one way or the other.

I also really liked Navionics on my previous Raymarine unit, and just renewed my subscription for my phone for the year.
One very nice feature on my Garmin is the ability to create boundaries.
I’ve entered all the local RCA’s and Glass Sponge Reef Closures (in a different color), and now have lines on my chart that very accurately define the boundaries.
It’s a great feature that I didn’t have on my older Raymarine.

I also really liked Navionics on my previous Raymarine unit, and just renewed my subscription for my phone for the year.
I’ve entered all the local RCA’s and Glass Sponge Reef Closures (in a different color), and now have lines on my chart that very accurately define the boundaries.

I do this too but estimate the lines (conservatively) as I haven’t figured out how to precisely coordinate specific gps points. How do you do it?

I do this too but estimate the lines (conservatively) as I haven’t figured out how to precisely coordinate specific gps points. How do you do it?

The user manual is protected, so I can't copy and paste out of it. Basically, you create a route from the waypoints, then convert it to a boundary. It's very easy to do. You can also set an alarm that will warn you if you enter the boundary area.

The user manual is protected, so I can't copy and paste out of it. Basically, you create a route from the waypoints, then convert it to a boundary. It's very easy to do. You can also set an alarm that will warn you if you enter the boundary area.

Ok. I’ll try that. Tx

Hi wavetamer - very broad question. I have a recent Garmin with the VCA018R Blue Chart chip. Very similar on bottom detail to the top of the line C-Map/Navionics charts, all of which will cost you $400 or so. I have never used some of the other features such a Marina/gas dock info, tide info, etc.

I have been looking very hard at charts/chartplotters/fish finders. You can easily spend $10K if you want.

THT (The Hull Truth) forum is probably the best source to pick brand. I have been very happy with Garmin support. Simrad/Lowrance does not get rated as very good. Furuno is probably tops; check out their forum.

Is this done by making tracks or boundries? I have RCA's as tracks but it quickly uses up my 50 tracks.

I have Garmin. The real problem is you can't share/communicate with anyone on avionics with regard to the look of the contours.

They look different.

You can put your avionics chip in right now, but it won't read it.

I spoke to Garmin USA Rep about it, they don't plan to make the NAvionics charts look like Garmin or the Garmin look like NAvionics, and they are not really planning anything than other bringing some data from Avionics into the Garmin system.

I'm looking at moving away from Garmin.

I have Garmin. The real problem is you can't share/communicate with anyone on avionics with regard to the look of the contours.

They look different.

You can put your avionics chip in right now, but it won't read it.

I spoke to Garmin USA Rep about it, they don't plan to make the NAvionics charts look like Garmin or the Garmin look like NAvionics, and they are not really planning anything than other bringing some data from Avionics into the Garmin system.

I'm looking at moving away from Garmin.
I agree with you regarding sharing information, and have found that fishing out of Esperanza/Kyuquot, many of the names of places are from what the spot looks like on a navionics card (Whale’s Tail, Stealth Bomber for example). I get around that by having Navionics on my phone.
I find that Garmin has very good hardware, Doppler RADAR and AP’s, and over time, their bottom contours will have to match what Navionics shows, as only one of them can be correct.
Garmin’s fishing chart has good bottom contours, and if you use the QuickDraw feature, you’re scanning the bottom in 1’ depth increments.
I also am really liking the Active Captain app, it’s new to me though.

I agree with you regarding sharing information, and have found that fishing out of Esperanza/Kyuquot, many of the names of places are from what the spot looks like on a navionics card (Whale’s Tail, Stealth Bomber for example). I get around that by having Navionics on my phone.
I find that Garmin has very good hardware, Doppler RADAR and AP’s, and over time, their bottom contours will have to match what Navionics shows, as only one of them can be correct.
Garmin’s fishing chart has good bottom contours, and if you use the QuickDraw feature, you’re scanning the bottom in 1’ depth increments.
I also am really liking the Active Captain app, it’s new to me though.
Have you tried the social map for esperenza? There maybe something there that could help. Those are actual sonar logs from someone

Back