Garmin 76 xc handheld Gps

bigmeal

Hey guys I am looking at getting a handheld gps that is capable of having chart plotting etc. I was quoted $270 plus $150 for discs if I wanted the mapping on it. I know this is a lot cheaper then going with a hard mounted system on my boat. The fact I have an open camp boat with little room to mount stuff without it getting in the way doesn't help either. Anyone have any thoughts before I buy? thanks

I have a Lowrance ifinder H2O color and am very happy with it. It obviously has a smaller screen than a hard mounted unit but it works out well for me. As far as satelite reception it works great out on the water but does not fair as good for navigation in the woods, but it still works. I think the Navionics chip tends to run aroud $200 not sure about the unit. I picked my gps off ebay at a considerable discount along with my chip. I also use a RAM mount on the dash of my boat to hard mount it, this makes it allot easier to refrence while you're running.

I've got a Lowrance handheld I-finder expedition color which I'm very happy with. I've seen the graphics for the chip for the Garmin unit you are talking about and I wasn't very impressed. I paid $279 for the gps from Nikka and I think about the same for the chip. The chip covers the whole coast from puget sound to the charlottes, inside and outside waters. The graphics from the Navionics are the same as what are on government charts. You get tides and currents as well on the chip. Really like the unit. Took a while to fully understand all it could do. But once you do, it's amazing.

I have a Garmin 76 CS. I am pretty happy with it, easy to use, good for navigation. The level of detail in the charts isn't great for halibut fishing. Good enough to get where you're going though.

I think I got it on ebay for about $200. But keep in mind if you go used, you can only use the Blue Chart CD for a certain area, then have to pay again to unlock more codes (if you do go this route, PM me for more details, as I have some info that can help you there).

One thing though, it isn't as good or easy to use as a big screen chartplotter, like Nobletec, where you pretty much following your boat on the moving map. The screen is too small for that. So you pretty much have to have your waypoints set in advance and named properly, and go direct to them. Have been lost in the fog out there a couple of times...well, not lost, knew where we were, but definitely confused. [:I]

Would I buy it again? Yes. Might be better ones out there now though.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for all this info, I am definately going to put this to use and if you have anything else to add please keep it coming. I'm going to check this all out and way the money versus practicality.

We've got 12 of them at work where we hike around on the tundra/fly in choppers with using the topo maps. Excellent workhorses for hiking around, durable, easy to use. Screen's big enough for that without being so big it's easy to break if you drop (Use the damn lanyard!). Plus 100% waterproof and last all day on 2 'AA's.

I'm using one on my boat right now with Bluechart and it's fine for navigation, finding my traps, finding underwater features (plus my el-cheapo depth finder). I made a dock for it so it'll sit up right and run on the boat battery. The screen is a little small, especially if glancing at it from a distance but when your sitting down in front of it with the backlight cranked it's fine.

I've "heard" that some unscrupulous people download the Bluchart with a Torrent program and use a Garmin SN# generator program to set it up for free but I don't endorse that and feel those who do are morally bankrupt;).

Big mistake a lot of guys make: Relying on the GPS too much. Make sure you have the right paper charts and a compass you know how to use for when you forget fresh batteries! Having the chart out anyway will eliminate a lot of zooming in and out with the smaller screen.
GT

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

thanks guys, I actually did go with the garmin 76 xc because it does everything I need it to and is portable. It was easier to get because the whole family can use it for driving, geocaching and most importantly fishing. bottom line. Price was right

You won't regret it for what you want to do with it. PM me if you have any questions about operating, getting/installing charts...

Don't know what you paid bigmeal but Deakin equipment has a pretty good price on gps and accessories (http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?c=10) if you were wanting to get a dash mount, 12v cable....

Not sure if it would work but I think if you bought one of those cheapy 12v adapters with a USB port and plugged in the supplied download cable it might be enough to provide external power as my 76 registers external power when plugged into my computer via the download cable.

Bigmeal: Sorry, your PM got sent to Junkmail but I found it and responded...

Back