Fun Day At Cape Mudge.......

Dave H

Now and then the wind blows one way and the tide flows the other. Today was such a day and this looks like it wasn't much fun at all. Loaded log barge under tow heading south. Wild water for sure.
LogBargeRuff.jpg

TugRuffTow.jpg

Photos by Garry Henkel (Check Facebook for more)

Take care.

Yikes, that's some water! Is that a southeast wind over an outgoing tide that churns it up? Fair bit of fetch from that direction and a big inlet to drain, I'd guess. Would not want to be close to the shore in that...looks like the bottom comes up and the waves are just toppling. Sure chucking that big tug around; hate to think what it'd be like in my little boat.

Brings back bad memories when I lived up there. Had to be very careful when strong wind went against the tide. Slept many a night on anchor, to afraid to cross. Thanks for posting.

HM

The Cape Mudge area can be quite dangerous when strong winds and strong tides run against each other. Lots of boats in trouble there are the last 100 years.

Awesome power .... just sailed past east side of Quadra after storm force gales south to Comox ... hunkered into lee of Mittlenatch. My sailboat is 36' 12 tons steel designed for global cruising. Wave conditions from shore might be deceiving for smaller fishing rigs ... pay heed to marine weather over "strong wind warning" . The Mudge has claimed ships and lives ... even recently.

When I lived on Quadra in the late 80's I remember the two little ferries we had at that time. In the winter when the big S.E. storms would bring rollers into the dock, the ferry employees used to have to "time" the vehicle crossing from the ramp on to the ferry with the rollers. Then they would chain down the two front and two back vehicles and insist that everyone leave their vehicles and go up into the passenger area. The decks would be awash during the crossing. I always wondered why my 1980 Toy 4x4 rusted out so quickly.......

Definitely sketchy country when it turns on you! Went over to Mudge in my 12' tinny like 15 years ago - total flat day, not a concern in world...coming back thou, tide change and the rip set up literally across the whole body of water across to Big Rock - no way around it and probably a 5' standing wave. Got into it, swayed side to side and battled for like a minute having to just delicately increase throttle to get me over. That was quite a lesson back then. Not my scariest on the water (right CM?) but strong #2!

Would not want to be close to the shore in that.
Depends on at least three variables: where the strongest current is, if the depth close to shore is sufficient for your vessel, and the wind.
The top photo shows much calmer conditions close to shore (foreground), so if it's deep enough, that's where a small boat should be (if it "has" to be out there in the first place).

Many years ago when I was young and foolish (STUPID) I crossed that straight with waves the same as pic with a 16 DE and my wife. When we got to the CR launch ramp there were 2 uniformed RCMP officers who called me over. Gave me a well deserved tongue lashing for being so stupid risking me and my wife and possibly them if something happened. After that it was anchor and wait, one time while anchored we had an island house owner come out and invite us for steak dinner. Much better than white knuckle crossings. Learned a ton of respect for that part of the ocean.

HM

I got caught off Cape Mudge last summer coming back from Lund to CR with my girlfriend. It was blowing 25 from the SE against an incoming boomer of a tide. There was blue water coming over the bow and we hadn't even gotten around the point yet into the flood......The GF started crying and I was wondering if I should pull the plug and go back to Cortes and wait out the blow. Then as we approached the Cape I saw some shapes tossing in the waves. I finally understood what they were---a fleet of salmon boats, some half the size of mine, and guys drinking beer and having a great time out on the briny blue in a bit of a blow....all of a sudden the GF quieted down when she saw this was just normal fishing weather for some....ha ha

Back