Fuel pump noise

ziggy

I have had a couple of issues with the boat suddenly hesitating on plane and then recovering. More recently while idling in gear it has stalled or almost stalled and I hear a sound like a power steering pump, much louder than the noise I hear from the low pressure pump when i turn on the key. The motor is a 1999 fuel injected 4.3 Volvo Penta. I wonder if there is a quick way to determine if there is an air leak or whether the high or low pressure pump is toast.

I had a similar issue on a 2003 Volvo 4.3. Turned out the low pressure pump was failing and starving the high pressure pump. Super common on the volvos and not a cheap fix. I think the parts for mine were 800$ . Apparently the paint chips off inside and clogs a screen somewhere which ruins the pump and could eventually clog injectors etc

I think I lucked out in that prior to 2000 the high and low pressure pumps can be replaced separately for 2-300 each. Just trying to determine if a layman can figure out if it's the low, high ,or neither, just an air leak.

Back