Fuel Primer Bulb

jimbob

I can seem to get the primer bulb on my kicker to get hard no matter how many times I squeeze it. AS a result my kicker is hard to start because it is starving for fuel. Once I get it running, there doesn't seem to be any problem with fuel supply. I have replaced the bulb but it made no difference. I run both my main engine (Yamaha 150) and my Yamaha kicker off the same tank and I have a valve which I toggle back and forth between both fuel lines depending upon which motor is in use. I have checked and re-tightened all of the clamps on my fuel line.

Any suggestions. This is driving my crazy.

If theres a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm it would cause that condition and fuel would be going directly into your crankcase.

Or, if the primer bulb is not in the "upright position" the checkballs may not be seating.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Tailspin: I checked the fitting which plugs into the kicker and it is working fine which makes sense because the kicker runs smoothly (apart from a slight "surge" which happens from time to time) once I get it started. I also checked every connection and I don't see any fuel leaking from the line anywhere.

Island Fishlifter. YOu mentioned that the bulb needs to be in the upright position. I am not sure what you mean by that.

Orient it in such a way that the fuel outlet end of the bulb is pointing up. This will ensure the check balls will be on their seats.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

IS it a 4 stroke? If so, check the oil level. If its overfilled, the fuel may be leaking through the fuel pump and into the crankcase. Ive seen that before. The same can also happen on a 2 stroke as well.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I had a similar type of problem some years ago before I changed to a 4 stroke and it was the shoulder of the casing where the gas line plugged into that had corroded and was allowing intermittent air into the line.

AL

Kicker is a four stroke. I will check the crankcase to see if gas has leaked into there. All of the fitting and hoses are new so they should not leak air but I will check for air leaks as well using detergent and see what that turns up. Its driving me crazy.

I have the same problem when the kicker hasn't been used for a while. The gas in the primer bulb evaporates and it is dry.

I have a hose clamp that attaches the primer bulb to the fuel line and to solve the problem I just loosen the clamp, pull the hose off the primer bulb and pour a small amount of gas in the primer bulb and put it back together. Takes about a minute and once the bulb has some moiture in it seems to suck the gas no problem.

"It is much easier to criticize than to come up with a solution."

I have the same problem when the kicker hasn't been used for a while. The gas in the primer bulb evaporates and it is dry.

I have a hose clamp that attaches the primer bulb to the fuel line and to solve the problem I just loosen the clamp, pull the hose off the primer bulb and pour a small amount of gas in the primer bulb and put it back together. Takes about a minute and once the bulb has some moiture in it seems to suck the gas no problem.

"It is much easier to criticize than to come up with a solution."

problem solved. We changed the 2 way valve which was not working properly with a different type which works perfectly.

problem solved. We changed the 2 way valve which was not working properly with a different type which works perfectly.

Glad you found the solution, but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone else finds themselves with the same situation.
The standard bulbs are designed to 'push' fuel, not suck it up a long line or against gravity. Therefore, they have to me mounted down low, and closer to the fuel source than the motor.

Glad you found the solution, but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone else finds themselves with the same situation.
The standard bulbs are designed to 'push' fuel, not suck it up a long line or against gravity. Therefore, they have to me mounted down low, and closer to the fuel source than the motor.

Back