freezing crab

CIVANO

If you decide to freeze dungeness, do you cook it first or can you just clean it and freeze between 2 paper plates vacuum packed?

Only success I have had is to cook, pick and vacuum seal the meat only.
I have heard of freezing the gutted body halves in salt water but not sure if it works

I second the kill, cook, shuck, and freezer bag the meat method. I find with crab that the most important thing is to cook it as soon as you clean it. Had a cleaned crab on ice for 5 hours, and a freshly cleaned one and cooked them both up together and the difference was huge. Fresh is best, but vaccum sealed meat is nearly as good.

We've frozen cleaned and halved crab for up to 3 mos with little or no Ill effects. Cook halves for 5 minutes let cool. Double bag and vacuum pack. And into the freezer. Boil frozen halves 5 minutes and mmmmm.

I'll third the cook, shuck, and vacuum seal method. I have tried cooked in the shell and freezing them then re-steaming but the quality just isn't the same as vacuum/chamber sealing. I have had packs that were 6 months old and the meat tastes almost as fresh as the day it was caught. They are easy too because the meat is already fully cooked and shucked. Makes for quick crab salads, chowders/soups, put it on top of steaks, mushroom caps..........the list goes on and on:).

Commercial processors will Blanch (not cooked all the way through) at high temperature for only a few minutes, then freeze.
If you do not do this, the meat WILL stick to the shell like you will not believe.

Suggest Steam Blanch for 3 - 4 minutes. Ice bath, Tightly bag and Freeze asap.
Must be used within 4 - 6 weeks max.

Cheers,
Nog

So cook the crab shuck it and can with fish following standard temp/ time? And no liquid in the jars?

All same day fresh seafood is far better than frozen and that is especially true for vacuum packed crab. Get as much of the crab juice in the bag as possible and then freeze before vacuun sealing. The results will be less dry and chewy and more flavorful but still way lower in quality than fresh. If has been frozen, especially for any period of time I use it mostly for making crab cakes and for adding to a mixed sea food chowder. I like canned crab sandwiches but have not tried canning crab myself. If you like canned crab it is a better long term storage method, the issue is getting enough fresh crab legally to make the canning effort worth it.

I think most would agree with you on the fresh thing Rockfish. I have no problem getting crab pretty much year round between East and West Coasts of the Island. I even get them in popular commercial spots :).

I just like freezing some for a couple of months at most in between trips. I haven't found the chamber sealed stuff in their own juice chewy at all. It is just like the next day of fresh stuff out of the fridge. I am going to try canning some this winter. You can buy it in the store so why not do it yourself at home. At least you know how clean the "factory" is at home ;).

I've been happy with bagging and freezing cleaned and cooked crab. As most of us recognise, never-frozen crustaceans are far superior, but I don't see enough quality difference between in-shell frozen and shucked frozen to continue with shucking at processing time. The only difference to me is holding time. We keep in-shell cooked crab for up to 3 months whereas frozen vac packed meat will hold close to 12 months.

Back