For any of you Trophy QR 4.5 Reel Owners

Pippen

Hey,

Was talking to the guys at Redl Sports the other day as I was initially inquiring if the handles on the "new" vintage of the reels would work on the original style. Long story short.....NO. The older vintage has the spindles for the handle screwing in on the outside of the spool whereas the new paddle handles are countersunk screws thru the inside of the spool.

Anyhow....I was asking him if there was any sort of new drag spring to give more play to the drag as I had heard a rumour but couldn't recall if it was on this site and maybe it was someone just mentioned putting an Islander spring in. Couldn't recall. He did tell me though that in a few runs of production (they are made offshore as we know) there were no "shims" put into the reels which are supposed to be on either side of the drag spring. I know mine don't have them and never did but you can get them and they are considered a "warranty" claim. Not sure how much difference it will make on the drag but will let ya know when I get mine and test them out.

Just thought I'd share if anyone was interested.

I never played with the drag spring or shims, but it is possible to retro fit the knob shafts to the stronger style where the screw comes thru the arbor face. You need to be able to drill out the threaded hole in the arbor face and use a dremel tool /die grinder to form a cavity ( not quite a true countersink ) for the flat head screw to sit in. The countersink type cavity is on the inside of the arbor face, so the flat head screw does not stick out into the line.

Thanks guys.....may try and Islander spring if the shims don't make much of a difference. I am fine with the reels as is because I am used to them but others have a tendency to create a bit of a boar's nest if they adjust the drag a bit too much and it almost goes into free spool.

tykkyt....thanks for that. I remember Wolf's thread a few years ago about doing the same type of idea. My problem is I don't have the confidence to do that.....but in saying that my project this winter is to switch out the old handles as I have some Shimano paddles to put on. From all I can tell it requires a slight countersinking of the "inside" of the paddle to allow for a bit more play and not ramming the handle against the spool.

I think it was firelight who had a good tutorial on doing this as well as someone else; there have been a couple of threads on this topic over the past few years.

On handles working on solution hopefully in market next year... I am designing/prototyping them over winter... A variety of handle retrofits.... On some of these reels and others... Machined and anodized of course maybe some delrin versions.... Variety of colors/sizes... No more machining old style... Will accommodate these new ones as well. I think it was good they finally added those paddle style handles but there kind of cheap looking..

Yes Pippen I retrofitted mine mine with islander delrin paddles/new posts with Wolf's help...The new ones I am designing will use have no posts you simple swap out so you wont have to drill anything.....

If you have to do it now a small right angle dremmel would be way to go it tough to countersink underneath... With shimano paddles I believe all you do is drill out front your good to go. The drilling is only if you want to put islander style paddles on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the chance to try out the new paddled handles.... very nice. Hope you're retrofit of Shimano handles work.

The drag on the newer reels are still quite sensitive. Not even a quarter turn to have it from line creeping to tight when fishing. Same as the older models that I've tried, although they did have a little bit more adjustment. Hoping over time that the tension on the spring will give a little. Just took one new reel apart and noticed the two shims on either side of the spring Pippen is talking about. Not sure if they really help the drag sensitivity.

Anyone leave the drag on tight over a period of time and find out that helped drag sensitivity?

On a side note, I figure if there are newbies on the boat that I'll stick with the Shimano's with them...

Sent from my iPhone

I actually threw one of my trophys over the side:)

Gee, I could've used some sloppy seconds...
surprised.gif

Scotty,
I told you last year to replace those springs with some islander ones and lose the shims too.
I also told ya which one of our "buddies" to get them from
glad to see you got your A.D.D. under control:p

No problems running trophys... Ran them for two years year round no issues , and didn't have to replace springs etc.. I will probably buy another set. I can't really say islanders are all that better..... Ask Wolf on here he has been using them for years, and he is pretty hard on them... Not much maintenance ether.

I went to a Colton salt water fly reel this reel. Like them better than the mr3. Drag units are sealed. No springs to worry about. Even used them tuna fishing. They have a 18 pound tension. Going to try the new hardy 12000 sds next year. 5 1/4 spool.

Been running the same reels since they been out and then when the Blue ones came out got 2 of them and they have been USED alot , never had issues with the Drag I know when its time to freshen them up but i clean after each use with fresh water and about every 4 weeks take apart and re oil cork and WIPE off if you dont its gets choppy and slippy its a fine line to oil ANY reel .....
I like how the drag hold not like an islander 3 tried them once for a week for the money id say they are garbage but thats my opinion I can but 3 reels for the price of one islander and have had the trophy's coming up 7 years all original not too bad id say....

Wolf

I run 2 trophy qr's and 2 islander mr2 reels. i really like both reels. you get used to the drag on the qr's, it would be nice to have a bit more leeway on the drag. generally use the qr's on the deep lines and the mr2's shallow due to the line creep issues, which aren't really that bad on the mr2 if everything is working properly. for the money, u can't go wrong with the trophys imho.

I just serviced my mr 3 and found the inner bearing is toast already! its only two months old! I cant catch a break. Maybe I should just go back to shimano. :(

Back