Fishing Prince Rupert mid-June

Zman

Hello,

I'm I'm planning a trip to Rupert in mid-June for a week and I'm looking for some info on fishing within 10-15 miles of town. I've never been up there so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

you may want to run out to Dundas Island if you have the boat for it. The North side of the Island would be a good bet mid-June as the big migratory Chinook will be cruising in there then.

What kind of boat are you in? Are you staying on the water overnight? Launching every day? If you are in a smaller boat then weather dictates where you can get to but there are still lots of great spots within 10-15 miles.

I'll be staying in Rupert and leaving from the dock each day. The boat is only 16'6" feet but it's built for the ocean. Definitely looking to keep the distance under 15 miles and weather will dictate the travel distance each day. I would love to get some places close to Rupert to fish but all info is helpful as this ocean fishing and the Prince Rupert area and both new to me..

If you launch out of port Ed then the run across to Humpback bay and eddy pass is not too bad. As with everything you just need to watch the weather. A South wind can make the crossing a nightmare. Both places can be very productive in mid June for big springs.
If you going out of Rushbrook then you can head through Metlakatla and over to South Melville. From there you can fish all the way up the lea side to Dundas but in a 16ftr you might not want to go that far north...again, just watch the weather. You can also head South to Squatarie. Just look for all the boats! Ha ha Getting to all these places is weather dependant obviously but you are picking a good time to be in the area. Mid June is a great time to get into some big fish! Good luck and be safe

Last edited:
If you launch out of port Ed then the run across to Humpback bay and eddy pass is not too bad. As with everything you just need to watch the weather. A South wind can make the crossing a nightmare. Both places can be very productive in mid June for big springs.
If you going out of Rushbrook then you can head through Metlakatla and over to South Melville. From there you can fish all the way up the lea side to Dundas but in a 16ftr you might not want to go that far north...again, just watch the weather. You can also head South to Squatarie. Just look for all the boats! Ha ha Getting to all these places is weather dependant obviously but you are picking a good time to be in the area. Mid June is a great time to get into some big fish! Good luck and be safe
Thanks Ruff. What kind of depths would I need to be fishing for the springs? I'll be stationed in Rupert so leaving from there each day.

I generally run 4 rods. No deeper than 60. 2 stacked on either side. One side at 60 and 40. The other at 50 and 30.

Reactions: KCD
I too am planning on being in Rupert The last weekend of June. Camping at Port Edwards. Being a rookie I appreciate the info that is here and any more that would be helpful. Rough locations and rigging suggestions. Taking my home built boat, 19' Hope to find some halibut and rock fish as well as some salmon. Did some water trials yesterday after working on the engine.. Vancouver waters next week.

Back