Fishing from Masset

Prawn Star

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Masset next year. Places like QCL are way out of my league. Is there a place in Masset where one could stay relatively cheap and hire and a local guide for two or three days?

I went with Brett for 3 days in July. Everything is first rate. He has a house that rents for $130+ depending on number of occupants. There is a local processor who will package/flash freeze your catch. Boat rate was $1100/day 10 hours or so.

We caught about 3 Halibut & 3 chinook per day. Chinook had been better a few days earlier. I went July 10 to best time the run of large Chinook bound for the Skeena river. They were not there. Brett's theory is that the warm water had changed migration patterns. Langara had a bad Chinook season, so this seemed to be true.

For numbers of Chinook, I'd go before the trollers start fishing which is around mid June. The FN's were doing some light duty Halibut fishing in the area so earlier would be better for these as well. We did not target Rockfish or Ling. Brett says if they catch too many rocky's DFO will shut everything down. Brett will run to Langara but there is an extra fuel upcharge.

FYI we fished west of Massett in 35-40 ft of water. Brett uses false flashers only so the catching is quite sporty w/o the drag from the flasher.

FWIW there are similar independent guide/non-lodge options out of Queen Charlotte as well. Motels, cabins, etc for accoms. It's a sheltered 45 minute run along Skidegate Channel out to the open west side waters. Transport considerations are a little better there, BC Ferries and Air Canada both service that part of the islands.

I'm with Sly_karma

The west side can be dam good, this year was no exception. The weather and seas can get rough. Seems to always be Fish running the west side.

This year the northern part (Masset) struggled. Just wasn't the bait to bring in the fish? However when the runs are going through Masset it is awsome. Also some of the biggest chin's seem to make the way through there

I guess that's why Langara is such a hot spot, it sees the fish before they choose east side or west side passage.

Langara can still be hit or miss too but more predictable than QCL/Peregrine. Englefield gets steady action but not the opportunity to target the size of further north lodges.

What's great about the west side is it don't seem to matter what the tide is doing. Sure some tide will produce better than others at locations, but some of the structure we fished didn't seem to matter. Only difference was what side of it they were on. Find bait...Find fish..

But again... That ocean can make you feel very small. It can get crazy

Back