Fishery Protest Ads- Vancouver Sun

Time

I occasionally buy the Vancouver Sun and have noticed a couple of ads lately protesting the state of the fishery.
I have no idea who is behind them, but they do have an e mail address at the bottom of the ad: concerned.canadians@gmail.com

Nice to see somebody putting some money up front to give the issue some press time.
Ads are 3 columns wide and about 5.5" long, so I doubt if they are cheap.

Wish I had a scanner, but I don't, so I'll try typing the ad here.

<center>It's a New Year - It's Time for Change
<center>
In Canada, over 3.2 million recreational anglers contribute over $7.5 billion to local economies across the country.
There has always been an important social aspect to recreational fishing, considered by many to be a vital part of life, especially in BC. But now we are faced with a government that continues to mismanage our fishery and soon we may lose sight of this age-old tradition, much like the East Coast.

BC's recreational anglers need to stand up and be counted. We need to say no to issues like the privitation of the halibut fishery and the reduction of public limits. But most importantly we need to remind government recreational fishing is not only a tradition, but it also provides huge economic benefits to our country.

To make change, let your voice be heard - email the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans at: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca</center>

There are nearly 400,000 recreational anglers in BC</center>

These ads and similar ones have been running in the Times Colonist in Victoria for many weeks now. Somebody is trying hard to make a difference.

Nice to see good ideas that posibly could make a difference in the way our politions think about what our tax's pay them to do.
Poor fish and economy managment email sent.

I'm setting priorities & making time for fishing.

These are from Sports Fishing Institute of BC, I believe.
http://www.sfibc.ca/

I think they are fairly effective too, I've had a couple of friends from Vancouver who are casually interested in fishing mention they saw them. So they are getting noticed.

This kind of media campaign is interesting, plant a seed, help people make up their minds without even knowing it's happening.

Election coming up...let's get this on the table as an issue!

Right on! More power to them! I say let's keep up the pressure on the politicians to bring about some positive change.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

Perfect.

This is exactly the kind of stuff they should be up to.

Haven't seen a paper in a year or two! Great to hear though.

Gimee the gaff!!!

that ad is entirely right on lets the public know what kind of axxholes are running the show good use of money it should be done more,public has a right to know whats been happening with their fish

Send in a brief email in support of the ad. Simply write something like: "I support this public notice". Paste it into an email, an off you go.

e-mail sent:

I am desperate for a government to give recognition to our natural resources once and for all. I support this public notice and I hope someone will finally take our fishery seriously before it is too late.

I hope someone will demonstrate the strenght to avoid doing what is popular and do what it takes to preserve the fish before they are gone for good. ............ despite all user groups.

One very concerned recreational fisher!!!!!!

The best thing that any angler could do is join a group that best focuses on the type or style of fishing that you like to do. Get involved in one of the may organizations that focus on angler's rights, regulatory change and who is immediately involved in helping to direct all areas of Gov. at both the FED and Prov levels. Org's like SFI, SFAC[SFAB if invited], BCSA,BCWF,BCFFF,BCFDF,PSF, to name a few. There are many, many others that focus on our fisheries. Join one, and help out where ever you can. Doing something is better than sitting back bitching and waiting for someone else to do it for you. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

e-mail sent as well.

Also (A cut and paste from another site courtesy of JBJ)

A chance for all our voices to be heard at once.

Most of us are well aware that steelhead stocks in B.C. are. declining and that very little help is being given to these fish from the government. In light of the upcoming Provincial election, at their monthly meeting, the directors and officers of the Steelhead Society agreed, that there is an important window of opportunity for all BC steelheaders to voice their displeasure with the mismanagement of steelhead stocks. We feel that a mass e-mail campaign is a great way to start the ball rolling.

The provincial election is scheduled for May and politicians have their ears open now, more than at any other time, to the voice of the voters. Below you will find a copy of all the current BC MLAs’ email addresses, including those of the premier and the opposition leaders. On Feb. 1, 2009 we are asking all of you who are concerned with the plight of steelhead in the province to email a letter to every MLA in the province. A deluge of e-mails voicing the concerns of voters on one day cannot be ignored. Again, Feb. 1, 2009 is the day.

Below is a brief form letter that can be copied and pasted, making it easy for those who are pressed for time or not quite sure what to say. It is recommended that people try and write their own individual letters as those do hold a bit more weight than a form letter. Jason Tonelli, the President of the Steelhead Society, will be writing a separate letter on behalf of the Society that further outlines our concerns. This is a chance to grab the ears of those in government that we should not pass up. We strongly encourage all who are willing to participate to spread the word of this e-mail blitz.

I would also like to ask that any discussion that follows this stay positive and constructive. Thank you. Brian Braidwood Vice President Steelhead Society of BC

As a steelhead fisherman in British Columbia, I am extremely concerned by the provincial government's complete neglect of the plight of this great fish. Thanks to a steady pattern of government cut backs, there is an incredible lack of core funding available for this resource. After an election promise of the “the best fisheries management, bar none” I would have expected to see more funds made available for protection and enhancement of steelhead in the province. Instead I have seen the opposite. The number of people assigned to steelhead management throughout the province has dwindled to an embarrassing few. A mere fraction of what there once was. Once there were more people working on steelhead management on Vancouver Island then there now are in the in entire Province. "The best fisheries management bar none"? I am still waiting for that to happen.

Steelhead are an extremely valuable recreational sport fish. To many, the pursuit of them is a way of life! I, and a multitude of others, travel all across this great province in pursuit of steelhead. Along the way we spend money in local tackle shops, hotels, pubs and restaurants, often in small towns during off-peak seasons. Gas is put in vehicles; boats and motors are purchased. All of this money is spent in the pursuit of steelhead, providing employment and income to local BC residents and businesses. For many of these businesses, steelheaders are the major source of income for much of the off-season. Anglers travel from all over the globe to come to BC and fish for the largest wild steelhead to be found on earth. Will they (and the funds they bring) still come, once the steelhead have been ignored into extinction? The amount of money that recreational fishing contributes to the provincial economy is very significant, but if the fish disappear, so too will that revenue. It seems that the economic benefits of the recreational angling for steelhead are totally ignored by the government when it comes to investing money into the fishery that generates such considerable value!

The government insists anglers purchase a fishing license and a steelhead tag in order to fish for steelhead. This should mean that the government is responsible for steelhead, yet the government is ignoring this responsibility! The anglers of this Province have long been fighting for this fish, spending their own money and time with little or no government support. Is this government willing to increase the funding for steelhead protection? Funding for more staff dealing with steelhead issues, funding for necessary habitat work, funding for studying, and stocking steelhead. These fish are in dire straits and need the government’s help.

The party that commits to support these fish will be the one supported with a vote from me!

scott.fraser.mla@leg.bc.ca
mike.dejong.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.vandongen.mla@leg.bc.ca
dennis.mackay.mla@leg.bc.ca
raj.chouhan.mla@leg.bc.ca
richard.lee.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.nuraney.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.bloy.mla@leg.bc.ca
bob.simpson.mla@leg.bc.ca
charlie.wyse.mla@leg.bc.ca
barry.penner.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.les.mla@leg.bc.ca
norm.macdonald.mla@leg.bc.ca
stan.hagen.mla@leg.bc.ca
diane.thorne.mla@leg.bc.ca
douglas.routley.mla@leg.bc.ca
guy.gentner.mla@leg.bc.ca
val.roddick.mla@leg.bc.ca
bill.bennett.mla@leg.bc.ca
maurine.karagianis.mla@leg.bc.ca
rich.coleman.mla@leg.bc.ca
claude.richmond.mla@leg.bc.ca
kevin.krueger.mla@leg.bc.ca
al.horning.mla@leg.bc.ca
sindi.hawkins.mla@leg.bc.ca
mary.polak.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.horgan.mla@leg.bc.ca
randy.hawes.mla@leg.bc.ca
michael.sather.mla@leg.bc.ca
leonard.krog.mla@leg.bc.ca
ron.cantelon.mla@leg.bc.ca
corky.evans.mla@leg.bc.ca
chuck.puchmayr.mla@leg.bc.ca
gary.coons.mla@leg.bc.ca
claire.trevena.mla@leg.bc.ca
katherine.whittred.mla@leg.bc.ca
daniel.jarvis.mla@leg.bc.ca
ida.chong.mla@leg.bc.ca
tom.christensen.mla@leg.bc.ca
rick.thorpe.mla@leg.bc.ca
richard.neufeld.mla@leg.bc.ca
blair.lekstrom.mla@leg.bc.ca
bill.barisoff.mla@leg.bc.ca
mike.farnworth.mla@leg.bc.ca
iain.black.mla@leg.bc.ca
nicholas.simons.mla@leg.bc.ca
shirley.bond.mla@leg.bc.ca
pat.bell.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.rustad.mla@leg.bc.ca
olga.ilich.mla@leg.bc.ca
linda.reid.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.yap.mla@leg.bc.ca
murray.coell.mla@leg.bc.ca
david.cubberley.mla@leg.bc.ca
george.abbott.mla@leg.bc.ca
robin.austin.mla@leg.bc.ca
kevin.falcon.mla@leg.bc.ca
sue.hammell.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.bains.mla@leg.bc.ca
jagrup.brar.mla@leg.bc.ca
dave.hayer.mla@leg.bc.ca
bruce.ralston.mla@leg.bc.ca
gordon.hogg.mla@leg.bc.ca
spencer.herbert.mla@leg.bc.ca
jenn.mcginn.mla@leg.bc.ca
wally.oppal.mla@leg.bc.ca
shane.simpson.mla@leg.bc.ca
david.chudnovsky.mla@leg.bc.ca
adrian.dix.mla@leg.bc.ca
carole.taylor.mla@leg.bc.ca
jenny.kwan.mla@leg.bc.ca
gordon.campbell.mla@leg.bc.ca
colin.hansen.mla@leg.bc.ca
carole.james.mla@leg.bc.ca
rob.fleming.mla@leg.bc.ca
katrine.conroy.mla@leg.bc.ca
ralph.sultan.mla@leg.bc.ca
joan.mcintyre.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.lali.mla@leg.bc.ca

Throw these in there too..... Feb 1st dont forget
newstips@chchnews.ca, globalnews.bc@globaltv.com, sunletters@vancouversun.com, islandcontactus@atv.ca, localnews@tc.canwest.com, provletters@theprovince.com, verak@blackpress.ca, Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

e-mail sent as well.

Also (A cut and paste from another site courtesy of JBJ)

A chance for all our voices to be heard at once.

Most of us are well aware that steelhead stocks in B.C. are. declining and that very little help is being given to these fish from the government. In light of the upcoming Provincial election, at their monthly meeting, the directors and officers of the Steelhead Society agreed, that there is an important window of opportunity for all BC steelheaders to voice their displeasure with the mismanagement of steelhead stocks. We feel that a mass e-mail campaign is a great way to start the ball rolling.

The provincial election is scheduled for May and politicians have their ears open now, more than at any other time, to the voice of the voters. Below you will find a copy of all the current BC MLAs’ email addresses, including those of the premier and the opposition leaders. On Feb. 1, 2009 we are asking all of you who are concerned with the plight of steelhead in the province to email a letter to every MLA in the province. A deluge of e-mails voicing the concerns of voters on one day cannot be ignored. Again, Feb. 1, 2009 is the day.

Below is a brief form letter that can be copied and pasted, making it easy for those who are pressed for time or not quite sure what to say. It is recommended that people try and write their own individual letters as those do hold a bit more weight than a form letter. Jason Tonelli, the President of the Steelhead Society, will be writing a separate letter on behalf of the Society that further outlines our concerns. This is a chance to grab the ears of those in government that we should not pass up. We strongly encourage all who are willing to participate to spread the word of this e-mail blitz.

I would also like to ask that any discussion that follows this stay positive and constructive. Thank you. Brian Braidwood Vice President Steelhead Society of BC

As a steelhead fisherman in British Columbia, I am extremely concerned by the provincial government's complete neglect of the plight of this great fish. Thanks to a steady pattern of government cut backs, there is an incredible lack of core funding available for this resource. After an election promise of the “the best fisheries management, bar none” I would have expected to see more funds made available for protection and enhancement of steelhead in the province. Instead I have seen the opposite. The number of people assigned to steelhead management throughout the province has dwindled to an embarrassing few. A mere fraction of what there once was. Once there were more people working on steelhead management on Vancouver Island then there now are in the in entire Province. "The best fisheries management bar none"? I am still waiting for that to happen.

Steelhead are an extremely valuable recreational sport fish. To many, the pursuit of them is a way of life! I, and a multitude of others, travel all across this great province in pursuit of steelhead. Along the way we spend money in local tackle shops, hotels, pubs and restaurants, often in small towns during off-peak seasons. Gas is put in vehicles; boats and motors are purchased. All of this money is spent in the pursuit of steelhead, providing employment and income to local BC residents and businesses. For many of these businesses, steelheaders are the major source of income for much of the off-season. Anglers travel from all over the globe to come to BC and fish for the largest wild steelhead to be found on earth. Will they (and the funds they bring) still come, once the steelhead have been ignored into extinction? The amount of money that recreational fishing contributes to the provincial economy is very significant, but if the fish disappear, so too will that revenue. It seems that the economic benefits of the recreational angling for steelhead are totally ignored by the government when it comes to investing money into the fishery that generates such considerable value!

The government insists anglers purchase a fishing license and a steelhead tag in order to fish for steelhead. This should mean that the government is responsible for steelhead, yet the government is ignoring this responsibility! The anglers of this Province have long been fighting for this fish, spending their own money and time with little or no government support. Is this government willing to increase the funding for steelhead protection? Funding for more staff dealing with steelhead issues, funding for necessary habitat work, funding for studying, and stocking steelhead. These fish are in dire straits and need the government’s help.

The party that commits to support these fish will be the one supported with a vote from me!

scott.fraser.mla@leg.bc.ca
mike.dejong.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.vandongen.mla@leg.bc.ca
dennis.mackay.mla@leg.bc.ca
raj.chouhan.mla@leg.bc.ca
richard.lee.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.nuraney.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.bloy.mla@leg.bc.ca
bob.simpson.mla@leg.bc.ca
charlie.wyse.mla@leg.bc.ca
barry.penner.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.les.mla@leg.bc.ca
norm.macdonald.mla@leg.bc.ca
stan.hagen.mla@leg.bc.ca
diane.thorne.mla@leg.bc.ca
douglas.routley.mla@leg.bc.ca
guy.gentner.mla@leg.bc.ca
val.roddick.mla@leg.bc.ca
bill.bennett.mla@leg.bc.ca
maurine.karagianis.mla@leg.bc.ca
rich.coleman.mla@leg.bc.ca
claude.richmond.mla@leg.bc.ca
kevin.krueger.mla@leg.bc.ca
al.horning.mla@leg.bc.ca
sindi.hawkins.mla@leg.bc.ca
mary.polak.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.horgan.mla@leg.bc.ca
randy.hawes.mla@leg.bc.ca
michael.sather.mla@leg.bc.ca
leonard.krog.mla@leg.bc.ca
ron.cantelon.mla@leg.bc.ca
corky.evans.mla@leg.bc.ca
chuck.puchmayr.mla@leg.bc.ca
gary.coons.mla@leg.bc.ca
claire.trevena.mla@leg.bc.ca
katherine.whittred.mla@leg.bc.ca
daniel.jarvis.mla@leg.bc.ca
ida.chong.mla@leg.bc.ca
tom.christensen.mla@leg.bc.ca
rick.thorpe.mla@leg.bc.ca
richard.neufeld.mla@leg.bc.ca
blair.lekstrom.mla@leg.bc.ca
bill.barisoff.mla@leg.bc.ca
mike.farnworth.mla@leg.bc.ca
iain.black.mla@leg.bc.ca
nicholas.simons.mla@leg.bc.ca
shirley.bond.mla@leg.bc.ca
pat.bell.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.rustad.mla@leg.bc.ca
olga.ilich.mla@leg.bc.ca
linda.reid.mla@leg.bc.ca
john.yap.mla@leg.bc.ca
david.cubberley.mla@leg.bc.ca
george.abbott.mla@leg.bc.ca
robin.austin.mla@leg.bc.ca
kevin.falcon.mla@leg.bc.ca
sue.hammell.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.bains.mla@leg.bc.ca
jagrup.brar.mla@leg.bc.ca
dave.hayer.mla@leg.bc.ca
bruce.ralston.mla@leg.bc.ca
gordon.hogg.mla@leg.bc.ca
spencer.herbert.mla@leg.bc.ca
jenn.mcginn.mla@leg.bc.ca
wally.oppal.mla@leg.bc.ca
shane.simpson.mla@leg.bc.ca
david.chudnovsky.mla@leg.bc.ca
adrian.dix.mla@leg.bc.ca
carole.taylor.mla@leg.bc.ca
jenny.kwan.mla@leg.bc.ca
gordon.campbell.mla@leg.bc.ca
colin.hansen.mla@leg.bc.ca
carole.james.mla@leg.bc.ca
rob.fleming.mla@leg.bc.ca
katrine.conroy.mla@leg.bc.ca
ralph.sultan.mla@leg.bc.ca
joan.mcintyre.mla@leg.bc.ca
harry.lali.mla@leg.bc.ca

Throw these in there too..... Feb 1st dont forget
newstips@chchnews.ca, globalnews.bc@globaltv.com, sunletters@vancouversun.com, islandcontactus@atv.ca, localnews@tc.canwest.com, provletters@theprovince.com, verak@blackpress.ca, Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
I LOVE IT. Don't want to step on anyones toes but I suggest people from all different fishing venues follow suit on feb 1st supporting the fishery most close to them. The goverment and public nead to no, Almost all fish species and sport fisheries are coming dangerously close to there demise. My letter will be in support of wild pacific salmon. If doing that is bad, let me no. I like stealhead too. That lists definately a keaper. THANX.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I think the most important thing is getting heard..... If we all yell loud enough at once maybe a eyebrow will be raised or some dialogue started.

Its a message saying that we are not happy no matter of the fish of choice.
Im gunna compile list of shops on the Island and fire this off to see if we can reach some non forum users as well.
Lets yell loud and see what happens?

quote:Originally posted by Time

I occasionally buy the Vancouver Sun and have noticed a couple of ads lately protesting the state of the fishery.
I have no idea who is behind them, but they do have an e mail address at the bottom of the ad: concerned.canadians@gmail.com

Nice to see somebody putting some money up front to give the issue some press time.
Ads are 3 columns wide and about 5.5" long, so I doubt if they are cheap.

Wish I had a scanner, but I don't, so I'll try typing the ad here.

<center>It's a New Year - It's Time for Change
<center>
In Canada, over 3.2 million recreational anglers contribute over $7.5 billion to local economies across the country.
There has always been an important social aspect to recreational fishing, considered by many to be a vital part of life, especially in BC. But now we are faced with a government that continues to mismanage our fishery and soon we may lose sight of this age-old tradition, much like the East Coast.

BC's recreational anglers need to stand up and be counted. We need to say no to issues like the privitation of the halibut fishery and the reduction of public limits. But most importantly we need to remind government recreational fishing is not only a tradition, but it also provides huge economic benefits to our country.

To make change, let your voice be heard - email the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans at: Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca</center>

There are nearly 400,000 recreational anglers in BC</center>

email sent

Emails sent! I personalized it a bit, as I think and have heard from many organizers that the more personal and unique the letter, the more likely it is to get attention:

I am a recreational angler in BC. I spend $5000 - $7000 per year to moor, fuel, repair, and outfit my boat, buy tackle, bait and licenses. Last year I caught five salmon in a dozen trips. I’m not disappointed in this success ratio, but it is a big contribution to the economy for a relatively small impact on the resource.

A year and a half ago, while I reeled franticly and tried to steer the boat, my nine year old daughter netted a particularly feisty 20# spring salmon near the mouth of the Fraser River, her first experience with a live salmon. The look on her face says it all. She was hooked!

IMG_5639.jpg

I am determined that she will have the same and better opportunities to fish throughout her life. I will stop shaking my head at government mismanagement and neglect and make a difference. I will spend money and time to ensure that our fisheries are available to all the citizens of our country and not to a few corporations who have had the foresight to take advantage of government indifference. I will ask questions and demand answers before and during the next elections. Over the next months and years, you will hear my voice and that of my daughter and those of the thousands of recreational fishers in BC as we fight to regain and preserve our equal access to our fish.

I fully support the message below, seen in many local papers over the past while:

It's a New Year - It's Time for Change

BC's recreational anglers need to stand up and be counted. We need to say no to issues like the privatization of the halibut fishery and the reduction of public limits. But most importantly we need to remind government recreational fishing is not only a tradition, but it also provides huge economic benefits to our country.

Sincerely,

Michael Roberts
New Westminster, BC

Back