Fish fishfinder with or without chartplotter

Still trying to figure out why people get the fishfinder with Chartplotter and the extra cost of chip when u can use phone or IPad and Navionics App with USB plugin on the boat.

I need a new fishfinder for my 16 ft aluminum and was toying which one to go with and decided on dedicated fishfinder ( lowrance Hook 4x) as it's cheaper and still pretty powerful and installed a USB plugin. Still might return it though depending on feedback here about pros cons to this setup.

Cheers.

I use a sonar and my navionics on iPad. This set up for four years and it's worked fine for me. However, I do like the newer larger screen combo's. Maybe save up my allowance for next summer's fishing.

Plotter is worth the costs. You can view your tack in real-time, avoid bottom hang-ups. Fish structure easily. Now that I've used it I really dislike fishing without. Much more efficient way to troll IMO!

Like the combo. Plotter under way, split screen reaching fishing area, sounder fishing.
Any which way bigger is better!

The bigger units are fine for split screen viewing.
I think the smaller ones (7" or less) it's better to have sonar on a separate unit.
Also if the GPS screws up, you still have sonar.

Can you "instant store" your location when you catch a fish with the phone app?
Does the app have a "man overboard" feature?
Can you see your tracks?
I second scott's comments.

i use a dedicated 5" std horizon with a cmap card, bought a hds thinking i would dedicate it to sonar. the cmap nt max sucks so i find i record the sonar and just make my own. way better than navionics and other stuff. very simple and doesnt take much time to map your fishing spot. there also on the social map for free. might give you a head start.

I'm with Scott.I have a Lowrance HDS 10 for that reason, when it's split screen I have 2 decent size views. Been fishing on a buddies boat a lot lately and he has a Elite 5 and runs it on split screen and it's just a waste of space both screens are so small I can't read either other the the depth and that's just because the # is so big.

Last edited:
Get a 7" plotter. Totally worth it when running split screen. I also have a 16' aluminum, worth every penny. I got a humminbird helix 7. Came to about $750 with my navi card all set up, taxes inc. It's good enough for me and my setup. You won't regret it going with a combo.

The benefit of permanent chartplotters is the ability to network all of your boats inputs to one base unit. Can you hook up your engine information, radar, AIS VHF inputs, depth sounders (multiple) and transducers (multiple) as well as your autopilot to your laptop and have it at your finger tips at multiple stations? I run one HDS-8 at the helm and another (HDS-7) at the stern and can access all this information at either location.

I have navionics app on my iphone 7 plus and i love it for checking out locations, pinnacles that i plan on trolling up to. checking the tide changes etc. it renders screen info much faster than than my elite 5. i will not use it for navigation as far too many times it has conflicted with my elite 5 location. mainly the boat is orienteered wrong; it's shown me being a mile off where i actually was.

Get a 7" plotter. Totally worth it when running split screen. I also have a 16' aluminum, worth every penny. I got a humminbird helix 7. Came to about $750 with my navi card all set up, taxes inc. It's good enough for me and my setup. You won't regret it going with a combo.

how are you liking the Helix...

how are you liking the Helix...

It's good. Fairly basic but very clear, fast, and really good mapping. I wish the transducer was a little stronger, and that there was more info online regarding how to set up. I mainly fish shallow/structure and don't really get out into deep water but I have no problem hitting 500-600' with the transducer when I do. I still play around with it to tweak it but I'm happy with it. Never have any issues with loosing signal. The connections at the back are a simple plug in, not threaded like the Lowrance which would be a better feature. I really like the 7" screen, especially when running split screen. No regrets about buying it as it's nice to have a good plotter for my setup, but think I'd try a lowrance/simrad if and when I upgrade my ride. Think it's totally worth having good electronics. It kills me when I fish with my buddy who has a plotter that's almost as old as me. Looses bottom regularly at 30', doesn't use the sounder as it's useless. But then he always out-fishes me on our annual salmon trip so what do I know.

I use a standard horizon 390i 7" for nav and pickedup a helix7 di a month ago for 419$ at cabelas. Both work great and i like the seperate screens.

Something else to consider is screen quality. A key reason why chartplotter/finders remain comparatively expensive is the cost of the screen, they are full daylight models that are 3-4 times brighter than mobile phone and tablet screens. I'll stick with my HDS at the helm, thanks. I don't want to be tilting and squinting at a cell phone screen trying to read it in bright sunlight whilst I'm running at 30 mph or battling chop or a following sea. I have my data all gathered there on the navigation screen - location, heading, fuel consumption, speed, depth, battery voltage. I've got all the RCAs mapped out, plus my tracks and waypoints from previous visits. I'm sure the phone can do some of that, but there's something to be said for a weatherproof device that's designed for exactly the purpose you're putting it to rather than a multipurpose device that does some of it well, some of it poorly, and some of it not at all.

Last edited:
Agreed with Sly on all fronts. I have a small boat, only 16' , and I just bought a HELIX 5 Chirp DI GPS G2 ($470). I can see it fine from the stern area, even on split screen. I usually troll with DI or traditional Sonar on one side and the GPS (Nav+ mapping Chip) on the other side.

I was convinced that I was going to get the Raymarine Dragonfly and use a tablet as a second screen as it has the WIFI. But after seeing it in practice on my friend's boat, the tablet /phone screens tend to be too dim. Worse so when wearing polarized lenses. And its just one more thing clanging around the boat.

I do like the simple button layout on the Raymarine, but went with the Helix5 anyway. Only had it out once, worked nicely. Held bottom at 30MPH.

Last edited:
FWIW good quality outdoor grade displays are expensive. I just purchased an outdoor-rated 43" TV to use for displaying live race results at a ski hill and it was over $3000 before taxes; ie, 5-6 times more than normal TV of same size. But it is bright enough for clear readability in full sunlight and has a service temp range of -32 to + 50 C.

I have a friend who went the Raymarine route because his wife insists on knowing where they are at all times. He has a Grady 23 hardtop so the phone screen readability is less of an issue for her, but his plan to use a phone or tablet as a second screen aft for fishing doesn't work because of the sun on the screen.

Back