Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is some downright funny ***** right there.... too little too late,, even mentions precautionary principle. very weak. i wonder who signs his paycheques and they have any skin in the game?
Stewart Muir is executive director of Resource Works
They have been on the scene here in BC for a few years. Ton of money behind them with deep ties to the far right. I suspect they will branch out when they finally get their way with us in BC. Welcome to the sacrifice zone where facts don't matter but a buck sure does.
https://thenarwhal.ca/resource-works-two-cheers-natural-resources

Just wondering when we are getting the 35% reduction of fish farms in area 13....

If they have a wild fish mortality associated with them then time to do their part....

No Fing way ill donate a penny to a single ENGO tho now, back stabbing pricks

Border Agents Temporarily Detain Sea Shepherd Vessel
Agents ask crew questions about biologist and fish farm activist Alexandra Morton.
By Andrew Nikiforuk Yesterday | TheTyee.ca
https://thetyee.ca/News/2018/05/30/Canada-Customs-Detain-Sea-Shepherd-Vessel/

https://www.northislandgazette.com/news/b-c-first-nations-tell-activists-to-stay-away-this-summer/

B.C. First Nations tell activists to stay away this summer

"“I sent a letter to the Sea Shepherd Society last year asking them not to come to our traditional territory, and their response was that under marine law they can come anywhere they want,” said Tlowitsis Chief John Smith. “Then, they came and harassed our partner’s employees in their workplaces. I have a message for them. Stay away from our territory, and our partners farms. You are not invited here.”"

upload_2018-6-1_20-29-27.png

Watson - ya - an ego far bigger than anyone else and their needs - always...

Pulled the same sh*t on the Magdelin Islanders.

Remember that line that people keep saying "move fish farms to land"

well apparently we dont want fish farms on land to...

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/535/633/992/

sad...
I think you may be misinformed, no problem here is the story.

A fish farm on Kootenay Lake?
Company has posted its intention to apply for permits

Albeit Aquaculture Corporation is hoping to start a fish farm in Kootenay Lake near Taghum.

The company posted a Notice of Intention to Apply for a Disposition of Crown Land under the Land Act on an online community bulletin board recently and on bridge pilings near Taghum. The notice (see photo below) said the company intends to apply to the Ministry of Transportation.

Regional District of Central Kootenay representative Ramona Faust told the Starthat she has contacted the provincial ministries of transportation and forestry and the federal fisheries ministry, but the company has so far not applied to any of them.

When the Star tried contacting the company through the email address provided on the notice, it bounced.

Albeit Aquaculture’s website gives no information about the company or its projects other than this brief statement in which it misspells its own company name:

“We are focused on the sustainable development of land locked fish farming. Sustainable for our food supply at home and abroad and sustainable for the environment. We understand that the term ‘fish farm’ has negative connotations but once you get to know Albeit Aquacutlure (sic), we are sure your views will be the same that we hold so precious.”

When the Star filled in a field on the website on Wednesday to request further information, the response was, “Thank you for your interest in fish farming. A company representative will get back to you shorty (sic)”

So far the company has not responded.
https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/a-fish-farm-on-kootenay-lake-2/

Albeit Aquaculture Corporation is hoping to start a fish farm in Kootenay Lake near Taghum.

The company posted a Notice of Intention to Apply for a Disposition of Crown Land under the Land Act on an online community bulletin board recently and on bridge pilings near Taghum. The notice (see photo below) said the company intends to apply to the Ministry of Transportation.

Regional District of Central Kootenay representative Ramona Faust told the Starthat she has contacted the provincial ministries of transportation and forestry and the federal fisheries ministry, but the company has so far not applied to any of them.

When the Star tried contacting the company through the email address provided on the notice, it bounced.

Albeit Aquaculture’s website gives no information about the company or its projects other than this brief statement in which it misspells its own company name:

“We are focused on the sustainable development of land locked fish farming. Sustainable for our food supply at home and abroad and sustainable for the environment. We understand that the term ‘fish farm’ has negative connotations but once you get to know Albeit Aquacutlure (sic), we are sure your views will be the same that we hold so precious.”

When the Star filled in a field on the website on Wednesday to request further information, the response was, “Thank you for your interest in fish farming. A company representative will get back to you shorty (sic)”

What’s wrong with fish farms in lakes?

https://www.westcoastfishculture.ca/

I think if you read the comments from wmy's post it's obvious local residents do not want this form of aquaculture in their back yards.

wouldn''t call that closed containment

Well when that industrial application comes to build a wearhouse beside a river and extract water fo the river it will be the same.

Not in my back yard.

We’re 30 years into a eat only wild find fish campaign. 10 years into a campaign pointing out all the bad thing with aquaculture.

I guess people just don’t want anything to do with it now

The price for wild salmon is shaping up to be a historic high, time to net the rivers

Interesting that you should use the warehouse analogy/comparison, WMY. An industry can be charged under the release of a deleterious substance provisions (s.35) of the Fisheries Act - but not fish farms wrt esp. sea lice treatments after they got the legislation they wanted from the feds.

I get what you say about NIMBYs - but AGAIN - that's what an environmental assessment if for - and guess what - FFs have been exempt from that too!

Well when that industrial application comes to build a wearhouse beside a river and extract water fo the river it will be the same.

Not in my back yard.

We’re 30 years into a eat only wild find fish campaign. 10 years into a campaign pointing out all the bad thing with aquaculture.

I guess people just don’t want anything to do with it now

The price for wild salmon is shaping up to be a historic high, time to net the rivers

Again I think you have made a mistake as to what kind of operation the company is suggesting take place there. here is a link to their website so that you can see for yourself.
http://albeitaquaculture.com/

albeit-pens-from-above.jpg

Again I think you have made a mistake as to what kind of operation the company is suggesting take place there. here is a link to their website so that you can see for yourself.
http://albeitaquaculture.com/

albeit-pens-from-above.jpg

Yes GLG I know it’s in the lake, but my point is people don’t want anything to do with fish farms in BC now, in a lake, on land or at sea, They don't want them and they dont want to eat farmed salmon.

Their done

And I see nothing wrong with landlocked fish farming its done lots of places. Some good examples in Australia where they have farm salmon in freshwater hydro dam locations.

Last edited:
Yes GLG I know it’s in the lake, but my point is people don’t want anything to do with fish farms in BC now, in a lake, on land or at sea, They don't want them and they dont want to eat farmed salmon.

Their done

And I see nothing wrong with landlocked fish farming its done lots of places. Some good examples in Australia where they have farm salmon in freshwater hydro dam locations.
As far as I can tell most would like to see them on land. So that they are contained and separated from the environment that you and I care deeply about.

As far as I can tell most would like to see them on land. So that they are contained and separated from the environment that you and I care deeply about.

I sure hope the municipality feel the same

...And I see nothing wrong with landlocked fish farming its done lots of places. Some good examples in Australia where they have farm salmon in freshwater hydro dam locations.
I agree there is less risk to wild stocks having fish farming in a lake verses on the migratory routes of outmigrating wild Pacific salmon - but there still is disease transfer risks to the local stocks, and nutrient loading on the bottom that likely would be worse in a lake verses the ocean.

In addition, Atlantic salmon need the salt water - so they would have to switch to rainbows - which would likely end-up having the same genetic effects of introgression on local stocks - as the farmed Atlantic stocks are having on wild Atlantic stocks.

Closed containment w water treatment gets you away from those impacts but does add pumping/electrical costs. If one is serious about the impacts to wild stocks - then CC is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back